French Quarter, New Orleans

• French Quarter
    by Agraichen
  • French Quarter
    by Agraichen
    Looking toward downtown from the quarter
    by thresherpirate
  • It's all in how you dress...

by tigital Written Mar 25, 2008

So I had to write my own little blurb about staying safe in New Orleans.

I think the fact I was dressed like a slob with no cash helped...If you are out to score a hottie for the night do it with your charm, not your wallet, because the bad element will take the time to case you out...then hit you the NEXT evening... I saw quite a few "jet setters" having difficulty with local riff-raff...then I sat down next to them and had a beer without issue.

Truth is I was pretty relaxed the whole time I was there. I was followed once but simply turned and asked..."wasssup jeeves?!?!" and the guy walked away. I think that if you are yourself and aren't out to look like a rich...arrogant a$$hole you will be just fine.

I stayed about three blocks from Burbon Street, at the St. James hotel and never took a cab, I walked the ENTIRE french quarter and never had a problem (aside from having too much fun.) I'm sure that there is a bad element to the downtown area but it seemed pretty tame to a guy living in Anchorage, Alaska. I'm more intimidated by Chilkoot Charlies up here than anywhere I visited in New Orleans.

~T~

• Architecture

• Safety in the French Quarter

by Nierue Written Nov 3, 2008

Yesterday at about 5:30 I was hit hard on the head with a broomstick by a group of boys who asked me for a dollar. It was on Conti St about half a block from Bourbon St in the French Quarter.

I'm not a weak-looking person, it was early, it wasn't quite dark yet, there were people around. This is the first time I've been attacked in many years of travel and living in American cities.

Be careful when you travel to New Orleans - watch out for kids with sticks, wherever you are and whatever time it might be.

• Stay Away from Bourbon!

by Steffie0824 Written Oct 5, 2009

My tall, blond sister was arrested on Bourbon, while out celebrating her 21st bday, after being harrassed by a bouncer at the Old Opera House. She was then assulted by police when they hit her and her boyfriend in the chest with their "baton" because they were "raising" thier voices. They were just trying to tell their side of the story. Apparently, the bouncer new the cops. Luckily, we had a "good" witness that made a phone call and she was let go. In the mean time, she had been stuck in an alley while "paper work" was handled for over an hour, surrounded by 4 African American cops. Although she was released from hand-cuffs, she still received a "summons" for "disturbing the peace" on BOURBON street. For a city that has the "highest crime rate in the U.S., " can you believe they were going to take this young girl to a jail with murders, rapists, theives, etc... ? Needless to say, after driving two hours out of the way that Monday for her summons, the courthouse was closed due to some "Judge holiday." Come to find out, a summons is only for people that have been arrested and taken to jail. So, the whole thing was thrown out! Guess that officer wasn't trained very well on WHAT he can give summons for and WHEN to schedule them!
    What a horrible experience that was both mentally and physically exhausting! We will not be back!

• Being Cased on Royal

by judyred Written Apr 17, 2010

My husband and I were walking on Royal St. after a night on the town and we happened to catch a guy who zigzaged across the street about 20 yds in front of us so he was walking toward and on the same side. I looked behind me another guy crossed over now walking behind us. Oh yeah.... the radar went beserk! I grabbed my keys put them inbetween my knuckles...getting ready, not knowing what was going to happen. My husband jerked me to the other side of the street as they closed in. Smart, totally smart on his part. The guys did know each other. They met and ended up walking together in the same direction. Crisis averted. You have to keep your wits about you. We've been to NOLA a million times together, year after year. just because you are familiar with an area does not mean it has not changed. Yes,we all love the Anti-freeze drinks....you just gotta watch yourself. Drunk= TARGET! BTW we plan on moving to NOLA in 2014! Nothi9ng could change our minds, that City is Da Best!

• Singles
    • Business Travel

• debbjean's Profile Photo

Late night stuff

by debbjean Written Oct 5, 2004

I agree with most posts, you do need to be careful in the Quarter, especially at night. BUT, I have to say that for the most part, people are out for a good time, a little partying, a lot of good food and a few hurricanes. We have never had any problem. One year during Mardi Gras a guy came up and offered a "line"...... but when we refused (nicely) he told us to have a good night and left us alone. If you aren't looking for trouble, it won't find you.

• School Holidays
    • Singles
    • Festivals

• JAZZ FEST IS BEST

by ACTFORCASH Written Oct 16, 2004

IT SEEMS AS THOUGH MOST COMMENTS ARE REVOLVING AROUND MARDI GRAS, I HAVE BEEN ATTENDING JAZZ FEST FOR 9 YEARS, AND AM FEMALE. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IN THE QUARTER. I BELIEVE IF YOU ARE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND HAVE FRIENDS YOU ARE FINE. I THINK NEW ORLEANS GETS A BAD RAP SOMETIMES. YES BAD THINGS HAPPEN THERE, BUT KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AND YOU CAN HAVE A GREAT TIME. JAZZ FEST IS BEST

Instant Answers: New Orleans

• Apr 11, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I think your experience will totally be based on who you are as a person. I had a great time.