Pickpockets, New Orleans

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Pickpockets Vacation Holiday

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 8, 2005

Beware of Pickpockets!

I would definitely warn anyone going to a festival in New Orleans to take heed....

Pickpockets are out there and in force during this celebration. I was speaking to one of the New Orleans Police Officers that actually mentioned that pickpockets from all of the world take their vacations in New Orleans, since this is such easy "picking".

Make sure you only bring one credit card, your ID, and the spending cash you are willing to part with during this week.

Enjoy, and make sure you walk with your hands by your sides like this gentleman.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Modern "Train" Robbers

by Rixie Updated Jun 7, 2008

My daughter was wearing a fancy dress and taking the St. Charles streetcar with friends, when a seemingly drunk man stumbled over and tried to kiss her. She later figured out tha while she was fending him off, an accomplice opened her purse and stole her wallet.

From this, she learned
    1) Don't look too prosperous on public transportation.
    2) Be alert.
    3) Keep a hand on your purse, no matter what happens.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

pickpockets and thieves in the Quarter

by goingsolo Written Mar 24, 2003

We were repeatedly warned to guard our stuff. At a restaurant, I placed my credit card on top of the bill and a passing server came by and advised me to be careful. She said anything not watched carefully- wallets, credit cards, or purses, can disappear very quickly.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Keep an eye on your money and valuables

by darthmilmo Written Aug 26, 2002

Keep your hands on your pockets and leave all the valuable at the hotel. I think that for every tourist there is a hand-pocket thief. We were extremely careful, yet my Dad was robbed. He even had his wallet at the front!!!

• Gypsy_King's Profile Photo

Extreme danger of getting pick...

by Gypsy_King Updated Aug 25, 2002

Extreme danger of getting pick pocketed while in the French Quarter! I had it done to me and never knew it as the crowd is so crunched together. I also had to wait in line with other pick pocket victims at the police station to file the report.

Hanging with the Bourbon Street crowd is also dangerous because a fight can break out at any moment with no where to go. I've seen it many times.

No where to use the bathroom! It is very difficult to find a place to relieve yourself and if you do, you'll have to pay for it! That's why I try not to drink very much. So, plan ahead if you feel the urge coming on. It could take you another half hour to find a bathroom!

• jypsylade's Profile Photo

Down on Burbon Street during...

by jypsylade Written Aug 24, 2002

Down on Burbon Street during Mardi Gras you should take a bit of caution and carry your wallet or purse out of sight. I heard that it can be very bad with pick pocketers and that there is a bit of violene in the streets, but I had no experiences or even witnessed anything like that while being there. I can honestly say that there's nothing to worry about safety wise and just to use common sense as you would walking around any city.

• bathrooms

by malbrou32 Written Sep 3, 2006

go to the nearest hotel luxury if possible act is if you are staying there use the restroom there clean most of the time most of the hotels have lobby restrooms this being down the hallways or down from desk clerk dont ask anyone just look for the sign saying restrooms.

Instant Answers: New Orleans