Ruston Travel Guide

• Me with Little Red, Jenna the foal and Brenna
    Me with Little Red, Jenna the foal and...
    by alg70
    Lee's Cajun Cafe
    by Basaic
    Amanda
    by Basaic

Ruston Things to Do

by IronLenz Written Jul 26, 2008

I went to Mitcham Orchard north of town. I bought some Jalopeno Peach Preserves and a bucket of fresh peaches (it's July). Of course they are delicious. The proprietor let me walk around the orchard, but made jokes about me getting shot if I tried to pick any of the fruit.

• Eco-Tourism

Ruston Hotels

Ruston Restaurants

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Lee's Cajun Cafe 1 more image

by Basaic Written Feb 9, 2009

Lee's Cajun Cafe was hard to get to because of all the construction along US Highways 63 and 167. It also did not look like much from the outside. The menu has a variety of Cajun fare leaning heavily towards seafood. The decor is a combination of sea and sports. Nice wood paneling, fishing nets, etc. I ordered the Seafood Gumbo. The staff was efficient and friendly. The waitress, Amanda, was much cuter than the photo may indicate. This place is definitely worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: I had the Seafood Gumbo which was nicely spiced and very tasty. Portions were okay; but it was so good I wanted more.

• Eco-Tourism

by IronLenz Written Jul 26, 2008

A run down shack...VERY blue...a neat place to eat. If you frequent Applebees, this ain't your place. You get baked chicken, fried chicken, or fish plus 3 sides. At $8, it seemed a little pricey for such a small town. The food was nothing special, but I would recommend going for the experience. They have specials like pig lips. There's another restaurant around the corner (The Blue Light). I think it has the same vibe...maybe the food is better?

Favorite Dish: The Hush Puppies were good.

by IronLenz Written Jul 26, 2008

Neat place. Great cold-drip iced coffee. Nice people. When I went they had a slide show playing of people from all over the globe wearing a Frothy Monkey T-shirt. I was surprised to see people from Ruston, Louisiana in St. Petersburg Russia and Kuwait, but then again I have a relatively closed mind. They have food too. Not much on desserts. Free Wi-Fi...unless you want to go pay for internet at Starbucks locaten next to the beautiful interstate highway (did you catch the sarcasm?)

Favorite Dish: iced coffee

Ruston Off The Beaten Path

• alg70's Profile Photo
    Me with Little Red, Jenna the foal and Brenna

by alg70 Updated Jul 14, 2009

I don't think many English girls find themselves in Ruston. I took a long and boring (inflight entertainment was out) flight from London to Houston and then a domestic to Monroe, Louisiana (scary... turbulence was BAD) with the then significant other. After a few too many margaritas and a big argument, I then ended up finding myself single and solo in Ruston. I guess I just followed the signs on the freeway and there Ruston was in all her glory! Not sure what to do, I headed for the nearest Mexican restaurant (a girl needs to keep her food intake up at a time like this) and chatted to one of the locals who suggested I head on out to meet Dave Collins, horse trainer. Well, having ridden a lot back in blighty, I was game for a taste of western riding. What a find I stumbled upon, Dave has the most amazing well-trained horses and I got to fulfill my dream of being a cowgirl for the afternoon. If anyone else stumbles across Ruston, Louisiana - be sure to look him up. Oh, and the boyfriend - well he's just a thing of the past. I've a hankering for good old Southern Boys now.

• Horse Riding
    • Farm Stay

Instant Answers: Ruston

Comments

Ruston Travel Guide
Map of Ruston