Shreveport Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Shreveport

Canoe up Dorcheat Bayou

by vigi Updated May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Highlight of the day was the this trip up the Dorcheat Bayou with Norris Canoe Outfitters.
    Floating in this canoe through a cyprus tree choked bayou is a fascinating experience, especially when combined with Chuck Norris's story telling. Chuck is the owner of Norris Canoe Outfitters, a great tour guide, he is passionate for his work, and will make sure you have a great time there!

More photos available in my Travelogue

Lunch at Cool Beans

by vigi Updated May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: This is definately a MUST-EAT in Shreveport. The mexican food are SO GOOD!!! Cool Beans is a kind of Subway for Mexican-food devotees, but it don't taste like fast food at all. All the ingredients for burrito, taco and salad building are spread out like a punctured pinata. This restaurant is very artsy and eclectic. It offers made to order salads, burritos and more.

Cool Beans, 855 Pierremont, Suite 135 (in Towne Oak Square) Shreveport, (318) 868-5100.

Elvis Presly Ave

by vigi Written May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: I was too lazy to do any research about Shreveport before I came here, and were surprise to found that Elvis Presely actually started his singing career in Shreveport. He first performed here and signed his contract with Sun Records in Shreveport. From October 1954 through 1955 Elvis continued to rush back to Shreveport every Saturday night to play the Hayride.

Red River Cruise

by vigi Updated May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: We took a ride on the Red River with the "Spirit of the Red" River Cruise. The boat is docked on the River directly across from Sci-Port. After seeing the beautiful Dorcheat Bayou last evening, this one-hour tour didn't interest me. And there are rubbish (plastic water bottle, cups, plastic bags, etc.) floating on the river... not nice view. But pretty relaxing though.

8th Air Force Museum

by vigi Written May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Immediately after arrival in Shreveport, I was picked up to join the group in the Eighth Air Force Museum. With more than 12,000 square feet of display space inside and nine acres of land outside, the museum features authentic uniforms, dioramas and aircraft dating back to the first world war. 17 aircraft on display, including the P-51 Mustang, the B-17 Flying Fortress, the F-84F Thunderstreak, the B-47 Stratojet, the KC-97 Stratofreighter, the B-52D Stratofortress and the B-29 Superfortress.

Touchstone Wildlife & Art Museum

by vigi Updated May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: We then stop by the Touchstone Wildlife & Art Museum, located a short distance east of Bossier City. This museum features an unbelievable collection of over 1,000 mounted animals from around the world. Visitors can watch the painting and taxidermy of dioramas that are not yet finished. It also displays American Indian artifacts and memorabilia from the Civil War and World Wars I and II. How amazing this is started by individual collectors, not any government own museum! And where do they get the animals? Zoo donate them when they die.

• vigi's Profile Photo

Paddling up Dorcheat Bayou (Con't)

by vigi Written May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: The trips organized by Norris Canoe Outfitters are 'flat water' trips, which makes for easy paddling. The best thing was when we were all tired and shouting "are we there yet?" We smell the BBQ, and infront of us was a little beach with alread prepared complete burger meals. Shiok!!!

More photos available in my Travelogue

Day 2 Breakfast: Strawn's Eat Shop

by vigi Written May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: We check out our hotel at 7.30am (God, it's early!!!) then head directly to Strawn's Eat Shop for breakfast. The food is good with reasonable price. I ordered an omelettes with grits (As Featured in Southern Living Magazine 1994 and 2003!) and it's good. But portion is typical American size, too big for me, I don't usually eat such a big breakfast at home. I don't want to watse food but really could not help leaving 1/3 of the plate thrown away...

Sci-Port Discovery Center

by vigi Updated May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Sci-Port Discovery Center is just few minutes walk from the Red River Cruise Pier. We come across this group of school kids. They are so cute, posting for pictures. From this picture, you can see black rudes here in Shreveport (perhaps in Louisiana?). They have many interesting games inside the Sci-port, and my favourite is iMax, which is the only dome cinema in Louisiana.

Arriving Shreveport

by vigi Written May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Apr14, left New Orleans early in the morning, taking the 6am Greyhound bus to Shreveport. The bus was 1.5 hour delay departing from New Orleans, reason was being the bus breadown. We were stuck inside the bus for 1.5 hour, while they have many empty buses parking in the terminal, well, I don't unerstand why they cannot just simply transfer all the passangers to another bus. Anyway, the driver was able to catch back some time and eventually, the bus arriving Shreveport at 3pm.

Largest Wall Painting in Louisiana

by vigi Written May 8, 2004

Fondest memory: This is the largest wall painting in Louisiana, with artist from New York. Well... it's not really very big though, we have bigger wall paintings here in Hong Kong. But I can say this painting is very detail and nice!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

My First Visit to Shreveport

by keeweechic Updated Sep 9, 2006

Favorite thing: I went over for the first time to Shreveport to spend Thanksgiving with family. It was a quick visit and we tried to cram a lot of mileage into only day that we had for me to do some sightseeing. The city itself wasn't so impressive (from what I quickly saw) but the riverboats were really a sight lined up on the Bossier side of the Red River. What I really enjoyed were the Lakes (Caddo and Cross). I had never been around swamp lakes and found the bald cypress trees stretching out of the water with their bare limbs and reflections in the stillness of the water, quite a sight to behold. Stretching back into the arms of the lake, there was a distinct eeriness as what sun there was merged into grey skies.

Fondest memory: Spending my first Thanksgiving with a family atmosphere. The weather turned ghastly on the day but there was enough fun and warmth inside that it didn't matter. So much great food too!! - boy the Americans can eat:-)).... oh yes, and discovering Sugar Daddy's (the candy)

• haimee's Profile Photo

haimee's General Tip

by haimee Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memory was the snow. I don't remember ever seeing so much snow in my life aside from on the ski slopes. We made the most of it too, making a small snowman, snowangels and a fierce snowball fight too.

• larsy's Profile Photo

If you are looking for...

by larsy Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: If you are looking for anything remotely cajun or exciting this is not the place for you despite what the teen Miss USA pageant propaganda (It has been held in Shreveport the past two years) says, though it isnt a horrible place.

• Try to be there when there is...

by jrlansdale Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Try to be there when there is a city function. Such as Mud Bug, this is located downtown with good food, and great music and crafts.

Fondest memory: This is where I graduated from highschool, and where my family still lives. The area surrounding it is where one side of family has lived all their lives.

Instant Answers: Shreveport

Comments

Shreveport Favorites

Reviews and photos of Shreveport favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shreveport sightseeing.