Slidell Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Slidell

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Honey Island Swamp Tour

by msbrandysue Written Dec 7, 2009

Well, I visited Honey Island Swamp Tours because it was its own entry for 1000 Things to Do Before You Die: USA Edition. Since I was in the area I thought I might stop by.

Before you go, make sure to call ahead and make reservations. When I showed up there were many people there and the boats were full.

I was a bit nervous going. I tend to get nervous when doing something I've never done before, and when there are huge man-eating beasts involved like alligators, sharks, or bears. So, I was pleasantly surprised at how fun this adventure was, and how laid back it is.

The most difficult portion of the adventure is finding the actual place. I highly recommend using your GPS if you have one or get very specific directions. There are some signs but it can get confusing. When I parked I was instantly greeted by a loud man (who turned out to be our boat driver and guide-great guy). I paid my money in advance and then waited outside.

Now, in June and July there is no air conditioning and can end up waiting plenty of time to get the boat full. So, BRING WATER. You can buy some but definitely bring some extra and maybe a snack.

When on the boat, we immediately saw alligators. The guide had them all named and stuck out marshmallows and hot dogs to get them closer. We saw many gators, birds, diverse plant life, and fish thoughout the multi-hour tour. It was great (though extrememly hot!).

Make sure to wear sunscreen and a hat! And you might want to wear sunglasses too to properly see well during the sunny hours.

Gift shop, restrooms and refreshments available on location.

For Hotel pick-up in New Orleans with one of our air conditoned vans, call Cukie at (504) 242-5877. Our boat and van drivers provide Narrated Professional Tours and are fully licensed.

Sorry, cannot accept credit cards.

• Birdwatching
    • Sailing and Boating

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Biking, Jogging, or Walking the Tammany Trace

by msbrandysue Updated Dec 6, 2009

St. Tammany Parish is sort of like Harris County in Houston. It houses many different smaller cities. At least that's what I'm equating it with. In support of the beautiful landscape the parrish built 31 miles of connecting pavement for those to enjoy the tall pine trees and weather the area allows.

The Trace connects Covington, Mandeville, Abita Springs and Slidell. At each of the cities there is a Trailhead with places to use the restroom and facilities. There are also other attractions. I listed more pictures and information in my Things To Do Tips for each city.

The parrish and cities keep these trails upkept and beautiful. I have the 31-mile path on my list of things to do. But I was somewhat injured when I visited.

I also learned in Mandeville you can rent bikes to do the biking. I did not see them at Covington, Slidell or Abita Springs, though.

• LowVolt's Profile Photo

Tammany Trace Rail Trail

by LowVolt Written Aug 18, 2009

The Tammany Trace Is a 31 mile long bicycle and pedestrian trail built on the right of way of the old Illinois Central Railroad. From south to north the Trace starts in Slidell and passes through the towns of Lacomb, Mandeville, Covington and Abita Springs. Located between Lacomb and Mandeville is recently renovated Fountainblue State Park, where you can camp, fish, hike and go to the beach on Lake Ponchartrain. At the northern end of the Trace you can visit the Abita Springs Brewery to reward yourself at the end of your ride. There is practically no grade on the trail so there are no pesky hills to deal with, and the remarkably smooth roadbed is in the shade for much of the day. Riders cross some thirty bridges left by the railroad, affording some great views of the Bayous and marshes the trail passes through.

• Cycling
    • Birdwatching
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Slidell

Comments

Slidell Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Slidell things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Slidell sightseeing.