Vacherie Warnings and Dangers

• Picture taken through the window -rolling pin bed
    Picture taken through the window...
    Ticket Booth
    Cane field near Laura

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Vacherie

Laura After the Fire

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cane field near Laura

Usually kitchens in the south were in separate buildings from the main house for two reasons. One was to mitigate the danger of fire from the cooking stoves, and the other was so that the main house would not be heated up by the cooking. Apparently fire is still a danger.

On August 9th, 2004 a fire damaged 60-70 percent of the house at Laura. The fa├žade, floors, walls and basement
    remain standing and form a solid basis for restoration to begin as soon as possible. So at present, you can't tour the plantation house.

The people who run Laura claim that their tour is not and never was about the house - it is the stories about the people that live there that is important.

Personally I would rather see the authentic objects and building that was there at the time, although reconstructions are interesting in their way.

Tours begin daily at 9:30 a.m. and continue every 20 minutes throughout the day until 4:00 p.m.

• Museum Visits

Only Cash

by grandmaR Updated Jul 3, 2005

Ticket Booth

The sign that I saw on the ticket booth as we went through said that they didn't accept credit cards. I was worried about this as I didn't have a lot of cash with me. I also do not understand why they would want to have a lot of cash on hand if they are so worried about robbery that they don't let people take pictures.

The man in the turquoise jacket is paying for the whole busload of us. I don't know how he paid.

Photographs Forbidden

by grandmaR Updated Jul 3, 2005

Picture taken through the window -rolling pin bed

Oak Alley is primarily of interest (in my opinion) for the great live oaks on the grounds. The house itself was gutted, and none of the interior furniture is original. The brochure says that you can take pictures inside as long as you don't use a flash. However the guide told us that the brochure was wrong, and that I could not take pictures inside. She gave the insurance as the reason. I think that they just want you to spend money. She said that I could take pictures of whatever I wanted outside.

They have changed their website to say that photography is not allowed inside the house. All commercial uses of Oak Alley's image are prohibited without written permission from Oak Alley Plantation.

In my opinion, the best of Oak Alley is outside on the grounds. The oaks, which were planted many years before the building was build are the reason to visit. I think you can see the trees from the road without paying for it.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Vacherie

Comments

Vacherie Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Vacherie warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vacherie sightseeing.