Safety Tips in Louisiana

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Louisiana

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Terrible Road

by Basaic Written Jul 3, 2009

If you look on your road atlas and think you might want to drive down Louisiana Highway 580. DON'T!! It is a terrible road, narrow and very rough. Avoid at all costs there are other better roads nearby.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Natchitoches- Cane River

by keeweechic Updated Sep 26, 2006

The rules for the Cane River is that it is illegal to operate a watercraft unless you have completed a boating safety course which is certified by either the Board of Commissioners of the Cane River Waterway District or the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, the Coast Guard Auxiliary or the State of Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission. Fines can be levied at $50 to $150.

• Small_World's Profile Photo

There are two kinds of insects in Louisiana...

by Small_World Updated Aug 30, 2006

There are two kinds of insects here...those that are small enough to go through a screen door, and those that are big enough to open it. :-)

The insect pictured here is a Texas Lubber grasshopper, commonly known as a Devil's Horse. Mostly in south Louisiana.

Mosquitos are the main problem; however, most cities have tried to prevent encephalitis, so they've invested in mosquito foggers, so mosquitos haven't been nearly as bad as in the past.

Haven't I seen dogs smaller than this?

• Small_World's Profile Photo

Stay in the boat!

by Small_World Written Aug 29, 2006

If you're fishing anywhere in south Louisiana, you might attract more to your bait than fish. This gator and his friends seemed to be attracted to the cork, or anything moving in the water. Yikes! They especially like labrador retrievers for lunch, so be careful taking your dog for a swim. Even around in the bayou around our neighborhood, in the northern part of the state, there have been several occasions where gators have made a meal out of pets.

Gator Bait
    • National/State Park

• supercarys's Profile Photo

Alligators on teh road

by supercarys Written Apr 14, 2006

While we were driving in Louisiana, we saw alligator roadkill! It must have been hit by a truck or something. First we saw the tail and two legs in one bit, then about 200 metres later, we saw the head on the side of the road and the front bit of the body in the middle. It was pretty gross.

If you're driving at night you may not be able to see them properly so take extra care when driving.

• ac_bouchouka's Profile Photo

Beware of the HEAT and HUMILTY!!!

by ac_bouchouka Written Apr 9, 2005

If planning to come to Louisiana, beware of the very Hot summers we have, people that are not use to the heat, Louisiana is a killer during summer times especially June- Oct. If you choose to come during these months don't say you wasn't warned...lol

• Bourban and Main Street

by emerson24_2002 Updated Feb 19, 2005

Don't relax while waiting for a bus, if they see you with your eyes closed, you may be arrestred. If you stumble, and they don't like you, you may be arrested. If their pissed off, and you look like their mother in law, you might be arrested. If you step one foot into New Orleans, you MIGHT be arrested.

Since I wasn't cuffed, I thought I would take the liberty to snap myself a little momento to remember our time shared together. Of course I turned the flash off ;-) Still having fun, no matter what the cause - Fuk'm :)

Back of the cop car

• RoseAmano's Profile Photo

Many shredded tyres on the highway..

by RoseAmano Written Sep 12, 2004

..and I saw quite a few right on the middle of the highway!

I was told that in the US, if the tyres treads of commerical trucks got worn down, it is not illegal to put a layer of new tyre tread without actually having to change the entire tyre itself. The problem is that in hot dry weather, like in the southern US, it causes the tread layer to peel off as you can see in the photo. I saw a number of these on the highways. I really got nervous riding behind these big trucks, not knowing what could fly off from them.

Shredded tyre tread, southern US

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Fire Ants

by keeweechic Updated Aug 9, 2004

Be careful walking around any lawn areas in Louisiana. Certainly don't walk around barefooted. Fire Ants are a big problem in LA (well not just in this State). Their mounds look like just a clump of earth and not necessarily big. The ants are tiny but with one hell of a bit that can itch for up to 2 weeks. You sure don't want to disturb them. If you do get bitten, a cortisone cream will help, but really what I found really helpful (found it on a website), is running hot water (as hot as you can take it) over the bite for a few minutes. The histamine from the ant bite will apparently rise to the surface of the bite and get washed away. It sure helps with the itch and when it starts to itch again, just repeat. The itch will eventually disappear.

• tompt's Profile Photo

Alligators

by tompt Updated Nov 19, 2003

In the swamps of Louisiana you may encounter alligators, they are usually not very dangerous. They will flee if they hear you coming. Except when it is a mother with young.
    They defend their young fierceless. So watch out!
    And if you ever have to hold an alligator make sure his head is not too close to your face. (personal experience by Gonnie, see swamp tour travlogue)

Alligator up clos during a swamptour

• tompt's Profile Photo

prison area

by tompt Written Nov 16, 2003

Driving along scenic byway LA66 we encountered this sign. Should we be worried? Or is it just a sign like there are many in the USA, warning for all sorts of dangers and mishaps, just to not be sued for not warning.......

In reality the sign is miles before you come to Angola State Penitentiary.

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

Cons

by WILDEFLOWER Written Jul 31, 2003

There are all kinds cons on the streets. They want to tell you where you got your tennis shoes, like what state etc..it's a con you may get robbed. I saw the police arrest the guy right after he tried talking to us! Then there's the one's that bump in to you and try to take things off you(pick pockets). Enjoy the sites, but be cautious of your surroundings. Don't trip over the street people sleeping in the streets either.

French Quarter
    • Disabilities

• yankee_doodle's Profile Photo

Yankee's beware!!

by yankee_doodle Written May 1, 2003

Anyone that spends enough time in Louisiana will invariably see the secrets that they try very hard not to show “tourists”, out of fear of loosing that almighty travel dollar. The untold undercurrent that is so pervasive as to color the atmosphere and taint what the ‘books’ call a “Sportsman’s Paradise”.

My first visit I was frequently told, and latter learned it was a mantra, that “southern folk are very friendly and hospitable” they shortened that to “Southern Hospitality” Leon Bracey wrote of this as follows ”Yes, you’ll be told, by southerners, that people in the south are friendly and hospitable, but only to a narrow extent. When people tell you that Southerners are so "hospitable", they should really say "polite". But then, the truth was exposed.”

I was looking for a new home to move my family into when I had a strange conversation with my realtor. In my first telephone conversation with my realtor, I was asked “what kind and how many rooms” I wanted. Seemed strange and I answered “A kitchen, formal dinning, family or great room, at least 2 baths and 3 to four bedrooms”. I didn’t think anything else about it until I arrived in Louisiana and we were driving to view some homes. I was told by the realtor that “The reason I asked about the rooms was to get you to say bedroom.” “Why” I asked inquisitively. The realtor said “Because if you were black, you would have said ‘betroom’ and I’d ve know you were black.” I assume that would have skewed what and where I would have been shown.

My wife went to a local polling place with a friend while she voted. My wife wasn’t registered, still a resident of our former home so she sat and waited. She was approached by a polling place official who asked my wife if she could help her. My wife told her she was waiting for her friend. The official then asked if she was going to vote. My wife said “No, I’m not from here”. The official said “You braggin or complainin?” We found out “You’re not from around here are you” was another mantra that showed its ugly head frequently

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Beware of alligators

by Helga67 Updated Apr 25, 2003

The alligators are to be respected. Even small ones can cause severe injury. They can grow to be as large as 14 to 18 feet in length. Alligators alternate between the water and the banks, as a means of regulating their body temperature, and are most active during the warmer months. Lying perfectly still, it is easy to mistake one for a log, until it is too late.

Alligator
    • Eco-Tourism

• BluecatCanoe's Profile Photo

Cajun Mermaid

by BluecatCanoe Written Apr 16, 2003

Careful not to come under the spell of the Louisiana Cajun Mermaid. She lures you into eating wonderful food then entertains you with great music and fun before you know it you are enjoying the great bayous and swamps and never want to leave. Ayeeeee!

Cajun Mermaid

6 Reviews - 27 Photos
Saint Francisville Hotels
24 Reviews - 67 Photos

Instant Answers: Louisiana

Comments

Louisiana Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Louisiana warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisiana sightseeing.
Map of Louisiana