Acadia National Park Local Customs

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Gently, gently....

by goodfish Updated Jan 4, 2012

Little pool, Sargent Mt.

Unfortunately for our National Parks, people are the biggest threat to delicate environments. Millions of feet pass through Acadia every year and all that activity takes a toll. While it may look rugged and wild, much of it is very fragile so to preserve this wilderness for the future it helps to be aware of how to enjoy the park responsibly.

The rules are simple: take nothing but your memories and leave no trace. This means don't litter, pick the flowers, remove the pretty rocks, hike outside of marked paths, feed or abuse the animals, light fires, damage the trees or otherwise make an already precarious situation even worse. Acadia, and those who'll visit in years to come, will thank you!

• Hiking and Walking

• WheninRome's Profile Photo

Blueberry Pancake Breakfast

by WheninRome Written Dec 22, 2006

One of our best experiences on Acadia, along with the whale watching excursion, was going to a public blueberry pancake breakfast sponsored by the island's fire department. It was a fundraiser to restore a section of the historic fire department's building. I think my wife and I were the only two tourists there.

We jumped into line and got a large stack of cakes, buttered them up and found a seat at one of the card tables inside the building. It took a couple minutes, but soon we struck up a conversation with a nice couple that live and work on the island.

We talked about lobstering, life on the island, winter, and, of course, wild blueberries - they are smaller yet much sweeter than farmed berries. Before we knew it over a half hour had gone by. Our bellies, minds and spirits were all a little fuller.

If you see a sign for a public pancake breakfast or fish fry or spaghetti dinner or whatever, consider going. It may be one of the highlights of your trip.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Lobstering on the Maine Coast

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Dec 20, 2006

A Lobster Boat off the Maine Coast

Maine is famous for its lobsters and catching them is an everyday occurrence here on the Maine Coast. However, for a couple of tourists from Ohio, we found it fascinating to be able to watch the lobstermen pulling up their traps and emptying them into their boats.

At several points along the coast on Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park we saw lobstermen at work. More than once we paused for several minutes to watch. It may be hard, dirty work to those trapping the lobsters, but to us it is an exotic and romantic occupation.

• Fishing
    • Beaches

• kazander's Profile Photo

The World Famous Maine Lobster

by kazander Written Sep 22, 2004

Lobstah

Maine lobster is world famous for being the most tasty of all crustaceans. Personally, I'm not a big fan of seafood, but I tried it nontheless. I would agree that it is most tasty, but the whole process of eating the lobster turned me off. I just hate ripping flesh apart what can I say?
    Lou on the other hand developed a taste for the little guys and could eat them every day.
    There are many lobster pounds in the area where you can casually dine, check out Trenton Lobster Pound. Everyone swears by it.

• chodearm's Profile Photo

Bar Harbor Ale, Atlantic Brewing Company

by chodearm Written Sep 9, 2004

their logo

Once again, to give my innards a taste of the area, poured Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale down the hatch. Inscribed on the bottle label, claims to be the origional Blueberry Ale, which I tend to believe since Maine trys sneaking that tastey lil' berry into everything. Nothing too special about the elixir, quite similar to other microbrewery product. Lets talk breifly about the label....theres a fishing boat coming in from the ocean, the seas seem a little much for that little boat to handle. I'm sure a small craft advisory was issued that day. Whos the captain? and the pilot of the Cessna, you about to snap the mast of that ship, you ain't suppossed to fly that low. Pull back on your steering wheel and rise up brother. Rise up.

• Beer Tasting

• kazander's Profile Photo

Blueberries!

by kazander Written Jul 28, 2004

Blueberry Stand

If you visit in the summer when they are in season, you must take advantage of all the fresh Blueberry items Maine has to offer. The Blueberry is the state fruit and you will find it in lots of yummy treats. I had lots of Blueberry pancakes when I was there. Before this trip, the blueberry was definately not even in my top ten of favorite fruits, but I must say i certainly have become a big fan!

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Eat lobster

by worldtrekker Updated Jan 10, 2004

Those look like lobster traps to me...

Maine is very well known for its delicious lobster. In fact a lobster is even pictured on the Maine license plate! There are plenty of restaurants serving this crustacean in Bar Harbor. I do want to note that so many lobster are being eaten in Maine that their numbers are rapidly decreasing. I chose not to order it for this reason.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Head to a lobster pound for down east food

by richiecdisc Written Dec 3, 2003

Maine Lobster is the King

Lobster pounds are a Maine Institution where people can go and eat lobster in a casual setting. You buy them by weight and the live beauties are then boiled in sea water in this vats outside, fired by wood. It is quite a scene to behold and almost as good as the lobster itself. I did say almost as the meat is as sweet and succulent as you will ever find. These babies were $48 but worth every penny, eh D? :=)

Instant Answers: Acadia National Park

Comments

Acadia National Park Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Acadia National Park local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Acadia National Park sightseeing.

View all Acadia National Park hotels