Acadia National Park What to Pack

D contemplating the world
    by richiecdisc

Best Rated What to Pack in Acadia National Park

• kazander's Profile Photo

What you need to camp in the woods...

by kazander Updated Jul 27, 2004

lou at camp

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Shoes for rugged terrain. I recently got a pair of Keen sandals, they were perfect for the rocky beaches. Layers of clothing, the weather changes from hot and sunny to cold and foggy rather quickly

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Lots of Bugspray and Sunblock. Even on a cloudy day you can get burnt, my nose was proof! Also a first aid kit.

Photo Equipment: Lots of film and or media cards! I think between the 2 of us we had 6 cameras...but hey I think we used all but one!

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Tent, tarps, lots of rope, camping stove, flashlights, camping chairs, sleeping bags, optional air mattress.....

Miscellaneous: Firewood. You can pick up firewood almost anywhere, People sell it roadside for approximately $3 a bundle. You often pay by the honor system and put your money into a little box or can

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

bring some time...

by richiecdisc Written Dec 3, 2003

D contemplating the world

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good hiking boots come in handy for the rugged trails like the Precipice Trail.

Photo Equipment: Wide angle to catch the WHOLE coast and polarizer to bring out the clouds.

Miscellaneous: Bring lots of time so you can enjoy the great beaches. They are great places to reflect on what a great planet we live on.

• Beaches

Hiking Boots

by chodearm Updated Sep 16, 2004

Hiking boots not included.

Luggage and bags: Bring a backpack for the hike, you are going to need something for all the water you are going to need to bring

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Forever my feet were covered by skateshoe sneakers, through all the hikes I have endured. I finally got hiking boots for this trip, let's just say I'm glad I did. The cliffs and trails are either rocky or slippery and some great grip could really be to your benefit. Slipping off a cliff into chilly waters and dying isn't my kind of summer vacation.

Photo Equipment: I bring more than you will ever need. Bring some filters for the lighting changes by the minute.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: You better bring a tent!

• Mountain Climbing

Cameras

by chodearm Updated Sep 21, 2004

Johnny and GL1

Photo Equipment: When it comes down to documenting my travels, I am rediculous. On my person there is usually the huge digital vcideo camera, the digtal still cam. and a manual camera with color film and one with black and white. Its a heavy load, but so worth the muscle. With this intensive care taken to getting my every footstep recorded I have not forgotten even the finest details of the missions.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Photography

• goodfish's Profile Photo

What to bring????

by goodfish Updated Jan 4, 2012

Luggage and bags: Daypack big enough to carry any layers to peel off/put on plus usual supplies. As there's no backcountry camping, you won't need anything bigger than that. If day-tripping in a car around the park or island, a cooler for beverages and picnic supplies would be good as food is scarce inside the park (at Jordan Pond only).

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Layers! Bring layers! Short and long-sleeved shirts, fleece vests, sweatshirt or long-sleeve fleece, water-repellent jacket, good hiking boots (a must), warm socks, a pair of gloves and a hat, long pants/jeans. You'll only need shorts and tank-tops in the summer but I'd pack plenty of warmer layers for chilly, rainy days: the wind off the ocean can be nippy. We tuck in a pair of slippers for our hotel so dirty boots can stay on a paper by the door. Sunglasses and swimsuit/coverup for hotel pools. Leave the heels and very dressy clothes at home: at the very most, a nice pair of slacks and shirt/blouse should be fine for better restaurants in Bar Harbor (but check websites for requirements).

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: The usual: sunscreen for sure as even the fall sunshine is intense on top of the mountains and on the water. Bug repellent in summer. Hikers should take a first-aid kit. If allergic to shellfish or bees, be SURE to bring your meds (not many bees, though).

Photo Equipment: Whatever you use - just be sure to take it.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: See above but add a rainsuit and extra socks. Anything you can do to stay dry during a wet stretch is a good thing. Something to string clothes on to dry once they ARE wet. Refillable water bottle, flashlight, compass, and an ace bandage in case of a sprain.

Miscellaneous: Binoculars are a nice-to-have

TENT

by chodearm Updated Oct 13, 2004

Yuki and the morning after

Luggage and bags: Do you want a roof over your head? Bring a tent cause sleeping under the stars I would discourage due to foggy night skys drenched in moisture. I hate the word moist, its like the word panties, ewww it irks me.

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Acadia National Park

Comments

Acadia National Park What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Acadia National Park what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Acadia National Park sightseeing.

View all Acadia National Park hotels