Acadia National Park Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Acadia National Park

• WheninRome's Profile Photo

Jordan Pond House: Popovers Vastly Overrated

by WheninRome Written Nov 29, 2006

All I heard for a month prior to vacation from those that had been to Acadia previously was, "You have to try the Jordan Pond House popovers". Nobody told me exactly what "popovers" were, they just said a wonderful pastry with jam. I was envisioning some type of cinamonny or fruity scone-type thing that is super sweet and almost addictive. A pastry version of heroine. We waited an hour (we were willing to wait two) for afternoon popovers and tea outside with a view of the pond.

For those that don't know, popovers are dinner roles. They are almost identical to Bob Evans dinner roles and you don't have to wait on hour in a National Park to get them at Bob's.

The popovers were served piping hot and with butter and strawberry jam, the jam was damn good I'll admit. I was so disappointed with the popovers themselves that I spread inordinate amounts of the butter and jam over the roll to spice it up. The combination of obese quantities of butter and jam spread and mixed all over the warm rolls was actually quite good - I think I will try that at Bob's next time.

Caution: MAKE RESERVATIONS. Even if only for afternoon tea and popovers. If the weather is nice specify (you must specify) an outdoor table with your reservations, otherwise you may be placed inside.

Caution: Make sure you have a National Park Pass on your vehicle. The Jordan Pond House parking areas seem to be favorites with the Park Rangers for ticketing those without a pass. No matter how good you think the popovers are, I am sure a $50 or so ticket will put a bad taste in your mouth.

Favorite Dish: I just had popovers and iced tea (see above). My wife had the same with a garden salad, which was no different than any other garden salad.

We had popovers and tea (sometimes I really wish I had a British accent) on the lawn overlooking Jordan Pond. The weather was perfect and we had previously just finished hiking a trail up to a deserted summit called "The Triad". Guess I can't do all of that at Bob Evans - but I can have popover equivalents there.

• WheninRome's Profile Photo

SeaFood Ketch: Good Restaurant Away From the Crowds

by WheninRome Written Nov 28, 2006

The SeaFood Ketch was a nice out-of-the-way type restaurant in Bass Harbor, which is a part of the island (Mount Desert Island) mostly constituting Acadia National Park. I actually preferred the southwest portion of the island including Bass Harbor to the traditionally more popular eastern part of the island where Bar Harbor is located.

The restaurant was NOT fancy, that's for sure. My wife and I ate out on the back deck overlooking the harbor as the sun was going down. The atmosphere was nice compared to the crowds of Bar Harbor. The food was not amazing, but it was good. And the prices were reasonable. You could get your basic seafood fair, including lobster, of course. I think I had clams.

Eating on the deck the mosquitos did get annoying after a while, but it was worth it to watch the sunset.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Cafe This Way: Best Dessert on Mt Desert Island!

by kazander Written Sep 22, 2004

Though we felt a bit scruffy from camping we had to pop into the posh little coffehouse Cafe This Way for some of the delicious treats I kept hearing about.
    Cafe this Way is the little secret everyone knows about. Right off of Rt 3 in the middle of the town of Bar Harbor, is a sign that points you down a litle driveway of sorts "Cafe this Way ---> " it says...
    The cozy red painted room is decorated with an eclectic array of furniture, tabletops made of pebbles or paintings and relaxing easy chairs or upright painted cafe chairs.

Favorite Dish: Be sure to see the dessert specials board, there are all sorts of additional goodies listed on the small blackboard.
    I had the chocolate raspeberry truffle cake, Lou had the white choclate pistachio pie. Both were amazing. Dinner and lunch are also served at Cafe This Way, I'm sure they are delicious as well.

Inside the Cafe This Way

• chodearm's Profile Photo

Two Cats: I need Blueberry Pancakes

by chodearm Updated Sep 7, 2004

I am in Maine and I am aware of the fact that blueberrys speckle the mountain tops like a Seurat's pointellism. I searched Bar Harbor streets for a local dweller to find out un-touristed true delisciousness, suggested was Two Cats. This place sufficed and coquered my taste buds with the moist golden griddle cakes oozing with Wild Maine Blueberries.

Favorite Dish: Its a place to sleep as well, upstairs is a B and B.

their cafe
    • Hiking and Walking

Log Cabin Restaurant: Better than expected

by kazander Updated Aug 5, 2004

The Log Cabin restaurant was someplace we happened upon just when we had decided we NEEDED something to eat immediately. We went in, it's nothing extraordinary to look at ,and our bevarages were well below par so we were not expecting much out of the food, but when we received our meal, it was really quite good!

After your meal, you can check out the attached gift shop for all your Maine souveniers.

Favorite Dish: The cornbread was great!

Log Cabin Restaurant

• kazander's Profile Photo

Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound: THE place for Lobster, everyone says so....

by kazander Updated Aug 3, 2004

Ask anyone, visitor, local, any old yahoo, they'll all tell you to go to the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound for the best Lobster around.
    The Trenton Bridge is the LAST lobster pound you'll see before going over the bridge onto Mount Desert Island. (there are many others, accept no imitations!) It's has big signs and huge smoking cookers out front. It is not at all fancy, picnic tables is where you'll be dining this evening. So you pick out your guy and order fixins on the side, it's extra for butter, rolls, ect. (The corn on the cob tastes like lobster by the way) The lobsters are put into one of 4 huge cauldrons with tall smoke stacks located out side the entrace to the shack. When it's all cooked up they call your number and you fetch your dinner all of which is on a big metal tray. They give you napkins and a cracker and lobster pick. Then you're on your own to pick him apart!

Favorite Dish: One problem for me, I can't possibly eat Lobster. I mean you even have to pick one out and sentence it to it's death! Geeze, I like my meat anonymous and unrecognizable! But Lou enjoyed his Lobster immensely.

Note: The Lobster Pound is CLOSED on Sunday

Check out the tide cam on their website!

Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound

• kazander's Profile Photo

Kozy Kove: Blueberry Pancakes!

by kazander Written Jul 27, 2004

Blueberries are Maine's state berry, so when they are in season you will find them everywhere!

We were headed to Bass Harbor Lighthouse one morning and figured we would find breakfast along the way. Little did we know how long it would take! Finally we came to what looked like a strip mall on our right. In this strip mall was the small and unassuming Kozy Kove.

Favorite Dish: We were straving at this point so we ordered HUGE breakfasts and tons of coffee, excellent coffee by the way... I had the Blueberry pancakes, it seems as though hundreds of berries were used in the making. Incedibly good!

Kozy Kove

• kazander's Profile Photo

Jordan Pond House: mmmmmmmm....popovers and jam....

by kazander Updated Jul 27, 2004

the Jordan Pond House must be a stop if you are in Acadia. Their popovers and strawberry jam are famously delicious, not to mention the amazing view of Jordan Pond with the Bubble Mountains .
    At about 11:30am, we stopped in to make reservations for the afternoon, we had heard they were a must. When we arrived, there a long line out the door. We asked at the information desk about reserving a seat for later, and he said "why, we're just opening right now, you can go right in if you'd like". So we were ushered right in and out onto the lawn. We were given the best seat , right in front.

Favorite Dish: We decided to have a full lunch, we started with brie wraped in phyllo dough, served with grapes and water crackers. Followed by wonderfully huge salads which we both added hummus to. Then of course were the most delicious, wonderful popovers with heavenly strawberry jam. For drinks, I got an iced tea and Louis the lemonade. The lemonade is so tart, they serve it with a small pitcher of sugar water!

You can just go for afternoon tea and have popovers for about $6 per person

the best table in the house
    • Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Thurston's Lobster Pound: Thurston's Lobster Pound

by Cabana_Boy Written Jul 20, 2004

My favorite lobster pound in Maine is located a short distance from Acadia National Park in the small enclave of Bernard

Anyway, here is the deal. I have eaten quite a few lobsters throughout New England, but no place has matched the quality or true feeling of a eating a Maine lobster in a lobster pound like Thurston's. Many restaurants try, but most fail. Maybe its because Thurston's is a real lobster pound and wholesaler. Maybe it's because their bugs are so fresh or perhaps it's because you're eating the lobsters right next to their dock overlooking Bass Harbor with all it's little lobster boats.

Whatever the reason, Thurston's is my current number one choice for lobsters in New England. I say my current number one, because I will continue sampling up and down the coast whenever and where I have a chance. But if I am on Mount Desert Island, my decision is made…I am heading to Thurston's...make the effort, make the drive, it's well worth it.

Oh, and by the way, screw the fork and lobster cracker, just use your hands...that's why they are there and that's how lobsters were meant to be eaten. Just think of that poor bastard who first discover lobsters were edible...do you think he/she had a cracker? Besides Thurston's has a nice little sink in the dining area for easy clean up and by not using the cracker you give the lobster one last dig, if you know what I mean...

One last thing, like most good lobster places, Thurston's is only open from Memorial Day (end of May) to October.

Favorite Dish: Get a nice 2 or 2½ pounder (hard shell, if available), have them throw in some steamers and some mussels for good measure (plus you can eat the steamers/mussels while your lobster cools a bit). If the corn looks good, grab an ear of that as well (again, New England corn is not as good as corn in the Midwest, that means Indiana).

The good folk at Thurston's will throw all this in a mesh bag with you name on and then drop it in the boiling water in that extra large tub out back. While you slowly sip (or guzzle) your beer or wine, the nice lobster turns bright red to perfection along with the steamers, mussels and corn (which turns bright yellow). Before you know it, your tasty crustacean is served.

Thurston's Lobster Pound...

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Jordan Pond House: It is Tea Time!

by Myndo Updated Jul 12, 2004

THE Coffee- and Tea House at one of the many lovely Ponds in this Park.

One of the best teas I have ever had, too.
    So if you have some time: try it.

To get there, you have to get off the main road close to Seal Harborat at the Park Loop Road.

(Jordan Pond and Bubble Pond and the road up Cadillac Mountain are on this road, too)

Favorite Dish: Tea (a whole Pot) and some of the cakes they have there.

Bubble Pond, Acadia

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Rosalie's: a few brews can often lead to pizza....

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 4, 2003

This great little pizzeria was super busy and conveniently located. Seemed like a lot of locals as well as tourists had discovered its quality and great prices.

Favorite Dish: Though they had a big selection of Italian favorites, we had eaten dinner earlier so only sampled the pizza, which was quite good, filling and not too expensive.

surprisingly good pie
    • Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Just Anywhere Cafe: cook out where you are!

by richiecdisc Written Dec 3, 2003

One of the great things about camping is being able to cook anywhere you like. We went down to the far side of Mount Desert Island and found this great spot right next to Seawall Campground. It have great views of the eastern side of the island and the light was just great even though we got there just a tad bit late as you can see by the photo. Still, it was great fun and this time of year, we had it all to ourselves. Who else would be crazy enough to cook out in October? ;)

Favorite Dish: Pasta fagioli and I make it spicy. ;>

D just after sunset

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound: Lobster, what else?

by richiecdisc Written Dec 3, 2003

This is a classic lobster pound and New England kind of eatery. Quaint from the outside and a more rustic interior with wooden tables and bench seating. There is a nice outside seating area too. You go up and order your lobster by sizing one up, bigger ones costing more by the pound. The owner was like a wooden Maine figure, with classic features. Worth going just to see him.

Favorite Dish: Well, lobster what else? You can get a sandwich or lobster stew and I had the latter for breakfast one day, but you come here to eat whole lobsters. It was not cheap ($48 for the two of us including ice tea, potato salad, and cole slaw), but it was sooooo good. The meat was sweeter than I've ever had. I swear I could have eaten three or four of them! If I could afford it maybe....lol

now, this is Maine

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Havana: American with a latin flair!

by worldtrekker Updated Feb 7, 2003

The setting is simple, but elegant. They serve fresh seafood, local and organic produce and meats, as well as lobster. The menu changes often. The also have an extensive wine list. I found the food to be excellent. If you have a huge appetite though, you may find your portion to be a bit small.

• dinhyen's Profile Photo

Crustacean lovers rejoice

by dinhyen Updated Aug 29, 2002

Maine is most famous for one thing (if you don't know what it is, perhaps you should change travel agent?) The best lobsters are the ones they the steam for you right out of the tank. Beal's Lobster Pier in Southwest Harbor is my favorite place to sample Maine's succulent crustaceans.

I can't tell you how to get there, because I don't remember myself. I'd know where to drive once I get there. Then again, SW Harbor isn't very large to begin with. The place is literally a pier. You go in and point to a lobster you'd like. They'd take the poor creature out (I tried not to look into its eyes), weigh it, and take it away. Next time you see your lobster, he's a steamy chunk of meat bathed in golden butter sauce. It's almost enough for me to, um, swallow my guilt. Lobster come in 2 varieties, hard- and soft-shell. The hard-shell ones are fatter; I think my last one weighed almost 2.5 pounds. Yum.

Favorite Dish: Lobster, duh. They also have clams, mussels and scallops. All fresh of course.

Instant Answers: Acadia National Park

Comments

Acadia National Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Acadia National Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Acadia National Park sightseeing.

View all Acadia National Park hotels