Bangor Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bangor

• ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Big Easy Lounge: A very unique bar

by ZeekLTK Written Feb 20, 2012

This place is very... unique. It certainly takes it's name seriously, as we stopped by a few days before Mardi Gras and the place was decked out in decorations for the big event taking place thousands of miles away in New Orleans. This was the first time we've been here, so I dunno if it's like that all the time or if it was in excess due to the "holiday" coming up but it was pretty cool.

Besides the decor, the atmosphere was also "unique". The seating area was a mix between normal tables with wooden chairs and a handful of comfortable couches and chairs that you would expect to find in someone's living room, not a bar. There were even some park benches in a few corners as well. There was definitely a variety!

Another unique thing about this bar was that they had some dogs roaming around inside. We saw at least two small pugs, one was "making friends" near the bar and another was relaxing on a couch next to some other customers (I presumed).

The drinks were pretty standard, I didn't see anything that you couldn't get elsewhere and the prices seemed to be about the same as well.

They had a good jazz band playing and I imagine they have live music quite often.

The whole thing was a bit bizarre, but fun. We'll probably go back many more times.

• Beer Tasting

• ZeekLTK's Profile Photo

Bagel Central: Great spot for breakfast

by ZeekLTK Written Feb 19, 2012

This is a great little bagel shop to grab breakfast at. They had a decent variety of bagels to choose from as well as a lot of different toppings as well. You can also get an assortment of baked goods here as well.

Definitely a good place to stop by for a fairly cheap breakfast if you are in downtown Bangor.

Favorite Dish: Bagelwich - a breakfast sandwich made out of your choice of bagel with eggs, cheese, and (for a little extra) either sausage, bacon, or ham. It's very good!

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Godfrey's Grille at the Four Points Sheraton: If you stay there, a good place for breakfast

by 850prc Updated Sep 29, 2009

Godfrey's Grille at the Four Points Sheraton

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton, over at the Bangor airport. While this may not sound like an interesting choice, it certainly worked on comfort and convenience. Please do see my Four Points tip under the hotels section.

The hotel's dining room is called Godfrey's Grille, and it's a nice place. Nothing overly special or unique, but if you want good food and don't want to hail a cab or haven't gotten your rental car yet, Godfrey's will work.

We ate two breakfasts there, and they were very nicely done. One day, we sent for eggs and sausage/bacon. And for the other day, it was Maine blueberry pancakes - always a good choice when in the northeast. The coffee was also very good, passing Bonnie's approval.... Bonnie is our family coffee critic.

Last but not least, the service was friendly and comfortable. As I mentioned on my hotel tip, there IS free WiFi at the Four Points, so if you're a business type and need to work on your email as you're sipping your coffee, it can happen easily.

I understand that on a couple of days of the week, there is a FREE manager's reception at Godfrey's in the afternoon. We never made it there, due to time and date constraints. But again... one nice thing about the Four Points is they offer several nice free things.... coffee with breakfast, parking, WiFi - just to mention a few.

Favorite Dish: We only did breakfast. I will specifically praise the coffee and the Maine blueberry pancakes. :)

Please note, on the "price section" below, I am talking about DINNER, not breakfast. Generally, the breakfast was less than $10 per person, including coffee - which was actually FREE with the meal, an unusual pleasure.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The Muddy Rudder Restaurant: Excellent seafood in Bangor

by 850prc Written Sep 28, 2009

The Muddy Rudder Dining area

I asked the desk clerk over at the Sheraton Four Points for a recommendation of "a good place to get some lobster locally". After enduring the prerequisite and expected suggestion that we eat at the hotel dining room (she admitted that she HAD to recommend their restaurant first), I was directed just across the Penobscot River to Brewer, ME and the Muddy Rudder Restaurant. It was an excellent choice.

The Rudder had an extensive menu, and the prices are very reasonable. This is one of those "fancy restaurants" in which you can still be comfortable wearing casual clothes. They have an acceptable winelist and very attentive servers. And the lobster.... well, it's very very good, and quite inexpensive.

The Rudder IS primarily geared to seafood, but they also have other items for your pleasure, and I'm sure they're quite good. I saw a fellow getting a juicy steak at another table, and it did look and smell very good. So, I doubt you'd go wrong with anything ordered here.

Favorite Dish: Well, my baby Sara and I each had a nice 1 1/4 lb lobster. We were wusses and ordered it "lazy", meaning they'd cracked it on open and kind of helped us to get the meat. I think we paid about $21 for it, which included a $2 "make it easy for the tourists to eat the lobster" charge. :) My wife sampled the lobster bisque, not wanting to do an entire lobster but still wanting to try the Rudder's ware, and said it was excellent.

Bonnie also went for the grilled pear and gorgonzola cheese salad, remarking on its copious and fresh nature. Sara and I also had dessert, hers was a Boston Cream Cake (not pie, cake) and I had the more traditional Maine blueberry pie with ice cream.

Among the other items showing several spots on the menu were local haddock and salmon, along with scallops, mussels and clams.

• truckmen's Profile Photo

Tesoro's Pizza: Great New York - style Pizza!

by truckmen Written Jan 21, 2007

Tesoro's Pizza is the closest you will come to NY-style pizza. At least this is what I've found.
    Every once in a while the pizza is a bit salty.

They are located downtown Bangor right down the street from the Federal building and across from Bangor Public Library.

Casual atmosphere and one can come in and sit down in jeans and T-shirt.

Favorite Dish: Pizza

• sue&gene's Profile Photo

Smokey Bones: Bar-b-que

by sue&gene Written Jun 15, 2005

in Bangor

This is probably a chain but we were not familiar with it. My husband got a longing for bar-b-que even while seafood was being served all around us. The bar-b-que was good but not as good as some we can get in east Texas. The surroundings were nice and the service good.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the bar-b-que beef and I had a Mexican food dish. Mine was very good.

• shysta38's Profile Photo

Oriental Jade: One of Bangor's most popular Chinese Restaurants

by shysta38 Written Apr 18, 2005

I have been to a lot of different Chinese restaurants, and this isn't the best Chinese Restaurant I have ever been to, but as far as I can tell, it is the best Chinese in the Bangor-Orono area.
    The prices aren't too high. Oriental Jade also has a popular buffet, and a pretty large menu.
    Take out is also available.

Favorite Dish: Moo Shu Pork

• kazander's Profile Photo

Sea Dog Brewing Company: BEER!

by kazander Updated Nov 9, 2004

Sea Dog Brewery Table

The Sea Dog Brewing Comapany is on the waterfront in downtown Bangor. The food I have heard is sometimes good, sometimes not. Luckily when we went it was good. The beer on the other hand is ALWAYS excellent! So even if you don't go foe dinner, stop by the bar for some tasty brews.

Favorite Dish: my favorite was the Blue Paw. A blueberry (it's Maine what do you expect) wheat beer. It's so tasty i bought 2 cases to bring home with me!

In case you were wondering, you can't buy beer at the brewing company, we stopped by the local supermarket to pick some up.

• Beer Tasting

• Gilfeather's Profile Photo

Jason's: New York Stlye Pizza...

by Gilfeather Updated Jul 9, 2003

Pizza, Stromboli, Calzone ,Subs ,Fresh salads,Pasta, Breadsticks.

Favorite Dish: If you have a large group...Order the Monster "24". It is a hoot. The carrier has handles on either side and I could just barely fit it in my car.

Asian Palace: Asian buffet

by Gilfeather Updated Jul 9, 2003

All you can eat buffet... (Best in Bangor for Chinese.)
    Lots of choices/selections...
    *Plus, They have a reputation for having one of the cleanest kitchens on the planet.*
    Sun-Thurs: 11-8:30
    Fridays-Sat: 11-9:30

Delivery Call-945-6690

Favorite Dish: Yum Yum Chicken rules!

• Gilfeather's Profile Photo

Governors' Restaurant: A True blue American ...eats his desert first.

by Gilfeather Updated Jul 9, 2003

American fare but done especiallly well.

On Saturdays they have a nice breakfast buffet..

They have a HO train that travels around the inside near the ceiling. Cool for the kids.

Favorite Dish: Scrumpcious deserts...

• Gilfeather's Profile Photo

Dysarts: Homestyle meals at a truckstop...go figure.

by Gilfeather Updated Jul 9, 2003

Homestyle food...favorite stop for most truckers and lots of locals. If you are looking for satisfying comfort foods and aren't put off by the idea of dining at a truckstop, take a chance on this place. Enjoy the friendly waitresses, coffee and while you're at it order up the "Truckers Special " for breakfast(anytime).

Favorite Dish: Difficult to order a meal that isn't tasty here...

• Gilfeather's Profile Photo

Friars' Bakehouse: Unique dining experience...

by Gilfeather Updated Jul 9, 2003

Two Franciscan Monks preside.

You will be converted.
    (At least to the food...no pressure on the religion front.)

Favorite Dish: -Best Reuben I've had in my life.
    -Tuna melt is heavenly.
    -Oh yeah... the lemonade and any of the delicious soups .....and the ....and the...

Bless me but they're good.

Go!
    Just don't go on Sunday, Monday or Tues. They will be closed.
    Insider Tips:
    -Feeling guilty for gluttonous thoughts?

"You are covered my friend!"

There is a chapel upstairs for the repentant.

-On your way out, pick up a loaf of St. Elizabeth bread...
    It's made with rosewater. (I think they have an unusual source...more later.)
    Soooo good.
    Favorite overheard quotes:

-"Whoever made this sandwich certainly has God on their side."
    -"You go ahead and pray..I'll stay here and guard the sandwiches from heathens.."

• Captain Nicks: Excellent Seafood here at very reasonable prices

by Lilyfan Written Jan 14, 2003

This restaurant has been in the community for many years. There is usually a line on Friday and Saturday nights but well worth a short wait. One of the dining rooms is an old train car. The also have a bar area

Favorite Dish: Swordfish or Salmon here is excellent but so is all of their fried seafood. Lobster is a specialty as well

Instant Answers: Bangor

Comments

Bangor Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bangor restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bangor sightseeing.