Bar Harbor Restaurants

Plain Eggs Benedict and home fries
  • Mom, My Aunt & my Brother heading to breakfast
    Mom, My Aunt & my Brother heading to...
    Lobster stew and popover

Most Recent Restaurants in Bar Harbor

• Rich62's Profile Photo

GEDDY'S: A FUN PLACE TO EAT AND SHOP

by Rich62 Written Sep 12, 2009
    JUST ONE OF THE GEDDY SIGNS TO LOOK FOR

Kinda has a "sports bar" atmosphere, but family friendly too. Lots of crazy wall decorations help make it interesting. Our waiter was a very nice young man, we enjoyed him a lot. Food was reasonably priced for such a tourism mecca.

CLICK THE PHOTO TO SEE MORE.

CHECK THEIR HARBOR CAMS TO SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING IN BAR HARBOR DOWN AT THEIR END OF MAIN STREET: www.geddys.com

Favorite Dish: I had a tuna melt sandwich for $6.79 (in September 2009)

other prices as examples: Spinach-Artichoke dip: $6.99
    12" Gourmet Hawaiian Pizza $11.99
    Blueberry Pie $3.89

• Seniors
    • Photography

• The Chart Room: Please Don't Eat Here!

by peach93 Updated Aug 25, 2009

The Chart Room is located about two miles outside of the downtown part of Bar Harbor, and looks pretty nice from the outside. It's a cute little place overlooking Hulls Cove, with water-view tables outside. It's a seafood place primarily, and you might think: how could a cute little place in Maine overlooking the water possibly have bad seafood? That's what I thought, too. The truth is though--and I don't say this lightly--that the Chart Room served just about the worst lobster I've ever eaten (and I'm from New England, so I've eaten more of them than the average person). It was horrible: dry, shrunken, tasteless. I felt badly for the poor creature, giving up its life only to be cooked so poorly. The other bad part about The Chart Room (in case this isn't enough) is that the service here is terrible! We were spending a decent amount of money and the waiter couldn't have cared less. He was abrupt and curt--barely even polite--and acted like he couldn't wait until we left. The last straw is that The Chart Room isn't cheap. It's more expensive than some downtown places. My guess is that they're counting on the business of people unfamiliar with New England seafood, or don't really care about repeat business because most of their customers are on vacation. Either way, avoid it. There are plenty of better places to eat!

• Abel's Lobster Pound: A Dining Disaster

by Sgoldb Written Sep 3, 2008

While vacationing in Bar Harbor this past summer my husband and I went to Abel’s for a lobster dinner. From the beginning things went wrong. The waitress brought our steamers and said she’d be right back with a bowl for the shells. The next time we saw her was when she arrived with our lobsters. We questioned the size of the lobsters as they definitely looked like chicken lobsters and not the 1 1/2 lb lobsters we ordered. After checking with the kitchen she assured us they were 1 ½ lbs and if we wished we could order another one. She then went off to get my husband’s beer. We were almost through with dinner when it finally arrived. At this point I told her we were very disappointed with the service. Her response, “We’re very busy” even though the dining room was only half full.

A short time later a woman, who we later learned was the owner, arrived and said with a big smile, “I hear you’re unhappy with the service.” She never asked why, but she did offer to get us some water. At this point I responded, “Well, that’s the first time anyone asked if we wanted water.” With that she turned, waved and walked a way in a huff. To say she was rude would be an understatement. She even went so far as to have a different waitress hover over us to be sure we signed the credit card slip for fear we’d leave without paying.

The next morning I told our Inn keeper about our experience so that he wouldn’t send anyone there. He said he had had a similar experience two years ago when he too got a lobster that was definitely not the size he ordered. “You’ll notice,” he said, “It’s not on our list of recommended restaurants.”

• Stewman's Lobster Pound: Awesome!

by peach93 Updated Aug 28, 2008

Entrance to Stewman's on West Street

Stewman's has two locations in Bar Harbor, one downtown on Frenchman Bay and another on Eden Street in the Bar Harbor Regency Hotel. It's definitely one my favorite places to eat in Bar Harbor. The seafood is all really fresh and reasonably priced. If you go to the downtown location you can sit on the top deck of the restaurant overlooking the Bay where they have picnic tables. It's really beautiful and very casual and relaxing. They have a kids menu here as well which is great because most kids (at least not mine) don't want to eat seafood. You can also go right to the pound at the downtown location and purchase lobsters to take home and cook yourself.

Favorite Dish: Steamers, lobsters and clam chowder were all very good.

• Beaches

• West Street Cafe: Absolutely Horrible

by peach93 Updated Aug 28, 2008

West Street Cafe

Many people recommended that we eat here and I really wish I hadn't listened to them. I have nothing good to say about this place. Not only did the waitress earn the prize for Worst Service Ever, but the food is certainly nothing to have a party over--and it's really not cheap. I don't know if she was just having a bad night, but our waitress seemed to be in so much of a hurry that she was continually dropping plates, spilling food (on herself, the floor, and on customers), and running around so quickly that she was running into the other servers. It was very unsettling, and if I didn't know better I'd bet money that she was on speed. Before coming here I don't think I'd ever eaten anywhere where the food was actually THROWN on the table so that the plates slid across and hit the wall. My lobster bisque had no lobster in it, and the fish I had for dinner was so overcooked it was leathery. Do yourself a favor and stay FAR away from this place. Don't be fooled by the line of people coming out the door at dinner time; someone told all of them to eat there, too. There are tons of other nice places to eat nearby where they don't throw things. Oh, and as an extra downside there is a New York Yankees cap perched above the television over the bar--Hello this is New England!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

DOWN EAST LOBSTER POUND: LOBSTER POUND

by LoriPori Written Oct 9, 2007

Down East Lobster Pound

When it comes to Lobster, the fresher the better and the tasty crustaceans are freshest when they are still alive. Lobster Pounds ensure tha public gets Lobsters while they are still kicking. hehe!When most people think of lobster pounds, they think of restaurants. However, the term originally referred to a means of live lobster storage that is still in practice today.

Lobstermen built the first lobster pound in a deep tidal creek on Vinalhaven Island in 1875. The “pound” was a pen in the creek that could hold a large quantity of lobsters. Water could pass freely into the pen, keeping the lobsters alive. The catch was stored there to wait until demand rose or until certain lobsters reached saleable condition.

The technique became popular within the lobstering industry. Lobster pounds began springing up in fishing villages all over the state and throughout New England. They would often be built on docks floating in harbors or in other calm bodies of salt water. Fishermen could easily access their catch when the time was right to sell.

The DOWN EAST LOBSTER POUND offers fresh local seafood - fresh crab & Lobster Rolls and homemade "Chowda". You can eat in at their outdoor patio or take-out.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

THE CHART ROOM: FINE DINING ON THE WATERFRONT

by LoriPori Updated Oct 8, 2007

Hans'

There were many wonderful restaurants near the Sea Breeze. We picked THE CHART ROOM as they had "Early Bird" Lobster Dinner for $17.95 from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m.
    Hans had his "Lobstah" dinner for the second time and why not, you don't get it for this price back home. It was a monster lobster and Hans enjoyed every bit of it. I don't really like whole lobster and all the work that goes into taking it apart, so I had seafood fettucine with bits of lobster and crab in it which I really enjoyed.

• GuitarStan's Profile Photo

Trenton Lobster Pound: Try The Lobster Pound For Fresh Seafood

by GuitarStan Written Oct 6, 2007

This Is Where It All Goes Down!

Never ate lobster before eating one at a lobster pound. I didn't really know what a lobster pound was until doing research on-line. This is your basic eatery.....you pick out the live lobster you want, they weigh it, throw it into a huge pot of boiling water that is wood fired and 10-15 minutes later you have lobstah! Very yummy and very fresh. They ship guaranteed fresh lobster to your home.

Favorite Dish: The lobster was very good, but my wife has to always try the clam chowdah. It was excellent with a fresh seafood flavor that came through, next time I will order a bowl!

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Ben and Bill's Chocolate Emporium: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

by Dabs Written Sep 30, 2007

Ben and Bill's

There seem to be more ice cream shops than there are residents of Bar Harbor, we couldn't walk 5 feet without being tempted by an ice cream cone on a warm September afternoon. After lunch, I knew I would have to stop and try one of these places and thought I had remembered someone suggesting Ben and Bill's which was right across from where we had lunch.

Favorite Dish: I have to be honest, I would have been a little annoyed had we waited longer than a few minutes. I tried two flavors, pumpkin pie and rum raisin, the pumpkin pie had ice crystals in it, like when it gets freezer burn, I had thought since it was seasonal that it would be fresh. The rum raisin was good at least.

Robert tried to get two flavors, one a gelato and the other ice cream, and they wouldn't let him do it. I suppose there are different prices for gelato and ice cream but you think they could have figured out a way to charge him for that.

They also had a wide selection of fudge and chocolate for sale but after being disappointed by the ice cream, I didn't bother.

Poor Boy's Gourmet: Lobster Feast

by Dabs Updated Sep 29, 2007

Lobster #3

We asked at our B&B for a recommendation for an inexpensive unpretentious place to get lobster and their recommendation was for Poor Boy's Gourmet, just a few minute walk from our B&B. She suggested making a reservation as it's a very popular spot, even with a reservation we had to wait for about 10 minutes before being seated.

I think this may be my favorite meal from this trip but just by a smidge as we also had 2 wonderful meals in Ogunquit/Wells and a very nice dinner in Portsmouth. The staff was extremely friendly, the restaurant had a nice casual vibe and you really couldn't beat the price of the lobster feast.

Favorite Dish: We both had the lobster feast, an excellent value at $20.95 for a boiled lobster, your choice of a cup of Lobster Bisque or Clam Chowder, Baked Potato or Pasta Marinara and Brownie a la Mode for dessert. For $2 more we were able to substitute any dessert from a very long list, I opted for Banoffee pie and Rob got something with fruits and berries.

Open for dinner at 4:30pm, early bird specials from 4:30-6pm.

Not Quite the Corner Deli: Quick sandwich stop

by Dabs Updated Sep 29, 2007

Roast beef sandwich

We were looking for a place to grab a quick bite to eat before heading to Acadia National Park and this place fit the bill. There are quite a few delis along Main Street but this is the first one we saw.

Favorite Dish: I had a roast beef sandwich on a very tasty roll with mayo, lettuce and tomato. The sandwich was very filling.

I didn't get a menu from this place but they had quite a few sandwich options, many of which had unusual ingredients, and soup offerings including a 1/2 sandwich/soup combination. I think the sandwiches were in the $5-7 range.

• Cafe This Way: Everything is good

by annie1973me Updated Aug 27, 2007

Everything is good. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and dinner and both meals are my favorite in town. The freshest of ingredients. The service is friendly and good. It can get a little loud in there at breakfast but it is worth it.

Favorite Dish: Thai Salmon for dinner
    the Ann omelet for breakfast

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• kazander's Profile Photo

Acadia Restaurant: Bring on more pancakes!

by kazander Updated Aug 16, 2007

Diner Shot

I'm not exactly sure how important a meal breakfast is on this island, but at 10am it's not the easiest thing in the world to find a nice spot for some coffee and eggs. Thankfully we found the Acadia Restaurant. Good old fashioned diner, complete with a bottomless cup of coffee. ( I was going to say "cup of joe" there, but it sounded ridiculously out of character)

Favorite Dish: We were very into having huge breakfasts, so that we could take advantage of the day without having to stop and refuel to often, so here's what we ate. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, and I think Lou also got home fries and toast. And of course coffee and juice. Whew! Everything was wonderful

8/07
    I was just informed that this wonderful little place has closed down. Sad news indeed!

• National/State Park

• Maggie's: One to pass on

by no475here Written Oct 18, 2006

Just of Cottage St., it is quaint with limited tables, but no intimacy. While it is possible to have a bad course in any restaurant, it's probably a concern when every course is less than pleasant. The salad was more vinegar than vinegarette. Unfortunately, the main, a lobster crepe, was smothered in a sauce so thick and over-produced as to mask any taste of lobster. Perhaps it was a bad night, and perhaps there are better items on their menu, but I would take my chances on the many other cafes and bistros in Bar Harbor.

Favorite Dish: I wish I could provide one.

• luv2laughlots's Profile Photo

THe Quarterdeck: Quarter for the view, but not the food!

by luv2laughlots Written Oct 16, 2006

the view from the Quarterdeck

It has ambience, and it is right by the water, so there is plenty to see as the boats come in. That's it's highlight and really only light! Well I take that back, the service was also pretty good! The food was rather expensive, but we thought we were worth it that particular night! We were worth more than what we got.

Favorite Dish: I had the lazyman lobster dinner with clam chowder. I've had better chowder from a can of Chunky Soup. The lobster was minimal and rubbery. My husband had a lobster feast. With his dinner came a piece of Blueberry pie and ice cream! I will admit, that was pretty good. I just wasn't very impressed by any of the other food. Later I found out from some of the locals that all there seafood is fresh, frozen and then cooked. That's why it wasn't impressive. However, I will admit, if you hadn't had seafood in awhile, you will think it's good. But once you visit some of the other places in the area, you will feel like you got jipped!

• Motorcycle

Instant Answers: Bar Harbor

Comments

Bar Harbor Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bar Harbor restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bar Harbor sightseeing.