Bar Harbor Restaurants

Plain Eggs Benedict and home fries
  • Mom, My Aunt & my Brother heading to breakfast
    Mom, My Aunt & my Brother heading to...
    Lobster stew and popover

Best Rated Restaurants in Bar Harbor

Poor Boy's Gourmet: Lobster Feast

by Dabs Updated Sep 29, 2007

Lobster #3

We asked at our B&B for a recommendation for an inexpensive unpretentious place to get lobster and their recommendation was for Poor Boy's Gourmet, just a few minute walk from our B&B. She suggested making a reservation as it's a very popular spot, even with a reservation we had to wait for about 10 minutes before being seated.

I think this may be my favorite meal from this trip but just by a smidge as we also had 2 wonderful meals in Ogunquit/Wells and a very nice dinner in Portsmouth. The staff was extremely friendly, the restaurant had a nice casual vibe and you really couldn't beat the price of the lobster feast.

Favorite Dish: We both had the lobster feast, an excellent value at $20.95 for a boiled lobster, your choice of a cup of Lobster Bisque or Clam Chowder, Baked Potato or Pasta Marinara and Brownie a la Mode for dessert. For $2 more we were able to substitute any dessert from a very long list, I opted for Banoffee pie and Rob got something with fruits and berries.

Open for dinner at 4:30pm, early bird specials from 4:30-6pm.

• Jozzzef's Profile Photo

Galyn's: Lobster dinner by the ocean

by Jozzzef Written Mar 3, 2004

We figured us foodlovers could not leave New England without having a Lobster dinner so we sought out a good deal among the restaurants in Bar Harbor. It couldn't have been any better. We had a table on the balcony overlooking the harbor and the ocean with the little islands getting covered in mist. The personel was very polite and gave us the rules of engagement for lobster dining. Don't be ashamed to have them explain to you how to eat a lobster they do that all the time.

Favorite Dish: We both ordered the early bird lobster special which included a salad as a starter and of course a 1 1/2 pound lobster served with steamed potatoes and some vegetables. It was fantastic! I tried to recreate the dinner but found that for the price we paid over there, i can't even buy the lobster here in Belgium!

• kazander's Profile Photo

Cafe this Way: scrumptious desserts...

by kazander Updated Oct 20, 2004

Cafe this Way

Cafe this Way is the little secret everyone knows about. Right off of Rt 3 in the middle of the town of Bar Harbor, is a sign that points you down a litle driveway of sorts "Cafe this Way ---> " it says...
    The cozy red painted room is decorated with an eclectic array of furniture, tabletops made of pebbles or paintings and relaxing easy chairs or upright painted cafe chairs.

Favorite Dish: Be sure to see the dessert specials board, there are all sorts of additional goodies listed on the small blackboard.
    I had the chocolate raspeberry truffle cake, Lou had the white choclate pistachio pie. Both were amazing

• kazander's Profile Photo

Acadia Restaurant: Bring on more pancakes!

by kazander Updated Aug 16, 2007

Diner Shot

I'm not exactly sure how important a meal breakfast is on this island, but at 10am it's not the easiest thing in the world to find a nice spot for some coffee and eggs. Thankfully we found the Acadia Restaurant. Good old fashioned diner, complete with a bottomless cup of coffee. ( I was going to say "cup of joe" there, but it sounded ridiculously out of character)

Favorite Dish: We were very into having huge breakfasts, so that we could take advantage of the day without having to stop and refuel to often, so here's what we ate. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, and I think Lou also got home fries and toast. And of course coffee and juice. Whew! Everything was wonderful

8/07
    I was just informed that this wonderful little place has closed down. Sad news indeed!

Carmen Verandah's: Balcony Beverages and Scary Karyoke

by kazander Updated Oct 20, 2004

upstairs is Carmen Verandah's

We stopped up to Carmen Verandah's for a local beer, (Bar Harbor Ale I believe) after wandering around Bar Harbor one evening. They have a great balcony overlooking the town green, it's a great place to people watch. Or you can play pool or darts, and there is also live music and dancing. As it happened, it was Karyoke night when we went. A lovely young woman (I think) decided to get up and do a striking rendition of Guns and Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" complete with all the appropriate shanananananaknees. It's gonna bring ya down...huh!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

DOWN EAST LOBSTER POUND: LOBSTER POUND

by LoriPori Written Oct 9, 2007

Down East Lobster Pound

When it comes to Lobster, the fresher the better and the tasty crustaceans are freshest when they are still alive. Lobster Pounds ensure tha public gets Lobsters while they are still kicking. hehe!When most people think of lobster pounds, they think of restaurants. However, the term originally referred to a means of live lobster storage that is still in practice today.

Lobstermen built the first lobster pound in a deep tidal creek on Vinalhaven Island in 1875. The “pound” was a pen in the creek that could hold a large quantity of lobsters. Water could pass freely into the pen, keeping the lobsters alive. The catch was stored there to wait until demand rose or until certain lobsters reached saleable condition.

The technique became popular within the lobstering industry. Lobster pounds began springing up in fishing villages all over the state and throughout New England. They would often be built on docks floating in harbors or in other calm bodies of salt water. Fishermen could easily access their catch when the time was right to sell.

The DOWN EAST LOBSTER POUND offers fresh local seafood - fresh crab & Lobster Rolls and homemade "Chowda". You can eat in at their outdoor patio or take-out.

• luv2laughlots's Profile Photo

Gayln's: Awesome Seafood, service, and scenery

by luv2laughlots Written Oct 16, 2006

Gayln's is right on Main Street, in the middle of the hustle and bustle. You step foot inside and everything is calm, quiet, relaxing. The service was outstanding. They were there when needed and had every answer to every question and they were "not there" when you wanted to be alone. Very friendly and courteous. The food was just as outstanding as the service.

Favorite Dish: I had this grilled spicy shrimp with honey-mustard sauce. The shrimp was succulent and had just the right amount of spice and then the honey mustard sauce iced the cake. I have never had any better. I then got this scallop dinner that was "to die" for scrumptous. The side dishes were could have been main dishes they were so good. My husband ordered a grilled halibut that literally "melted in your mouth". I guess the locals all order the Prime Rib there. I didn't try any prime rib, but the one I saw being served at the table next to me, looked exquisite.

• Motorcycle

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

THE CHART ROOM: FINE DINING ON THE WATERFRONT

by LoriPori Updated Oct 8, 2007

Hans'

There were many wonderful restaurants near the Sea Breeze. We picked THE CHART ROOM as they had "Early Bird" Lobster Dinner for $17.95 from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m.
    Hans had his "Lobstah" dinner for the second time and why not, you don't get it for this price back home. It was a monster lobster and Hans enjoyed every bit of it. I don't really like whole lobster and all the work that goes into taking it apart, so I had seafood fettucine with bits of lobster and crab in it which I really enjoyed.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Ben and Bill's Chocolate Emporium: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

by Dabs Written Sep 30, 2007

Ben and Bill's

There seem to be more ice cream shops than there are residents of Bar Harbor, we couldn't walk 5 feet without being tempted by an ice cream cone on a warm September afternoon. After lunch, I knew I would have to stop and try one of these places and thought I had remembered someone suggesting Ben and Bill's which was right across from where we had lunch.

Favorite Dish: I have to be honest, I would have been a little annoyed had we waited longer than a few minutes. I tried two flavors, pumpkin pie and rum raisin, the pumpkin pie had ice crystals in it, like when it gets freezer burn, I had thought since it was seasonal that it would be fresh. The rum raisin was good at least.

Robert tried to get two flavors, one a gelato and the other ice cream, and they wouldn't let him do it. I suppose there are different prices for gelato and ice cream but you think they could have figured out a way to charge him for that.

They also had a wide selection of fudge and chocolate for sale but after being disappointed by the ice cream, I didn't bother.

• where2next's Profile Photo

Island Chowderhouse: Good Food...Not Great...Not Bad

by where2next Written Feb 2, 2004

Chowderhouse

Pretty much a no thrills place. Good for a family with kids. If the picture looks familiar it's because the Chowderhouse is located next to the Thirsty Whale.

Favorite Dish: I had crab cakes and warm apple cider (it was early October when I was there).

Not Quite the Corner Deli: Quick sandwich stop

by Dabs Updated Sep 29, 2007

Roast beef sandwich

We were looking for a place to grab a quick bite to eat before heading to Acadia National Park and this place fit the bill. There are quite a few delis along Main Street but this is the first one we saw.

Favorite Dish: I had a roast beef sandwich on a very tasty roll with mayo, lettuce and tomato. The sandwich was very filling.

I didn't get a menu from this place but they had quite a few sandwich options, many of which had unusual ingredients, and soup offerings including a 1/2 sandwich/soup combination. I think the sandwiches were in the $5-7 range.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Galyn's Restaurant: Lunch with a Great View

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Dec 31, 2005

Galyns on Maine Street

We were looking for a lunch spot where we could not only eat but also drink in the view of the beautiful harbor on a lovely summer day. Galyn's fit the bill perfectly. Just a half block up Bar Harbor's Main Street from the waterfront, Galyn's is located in a big old house with outdoor tables on the front porch facing the street. There was a splendid view across the street to the Village Green park, and beyond that the sparkling Frenchmans Bay of the Atlantic Ocean. This is a perfect spot to people watch and take in the view of the boats coming and going in the harbor while enjoying a good meal.

Favorite Dish: I had a cup of clam chowder and a rueben sandwich while Karen enjoyed the crab cake luncheon. Both were very good!

• Stewman's Lobster Pound: Awesome!

by peach93 Updated Aug 28, 2008

Entrance to Stewman's on West Street

Stewman's has two locations in Bar Harbor, one downtown on Frenchman Bay and another on Eden Street in the Bar Harbor Regency Hotel. It's definitely one my favorite places to eat in Bar Harbor. The seafood is all really fresh and reasonably priced. If you go to the downtown location you can sit on the top deck of the restaurant overlooking the Bay where they have picnic tables. It's really beautiful and very casual and relaxing. They have a kids menu here as well which is great because most kids (at least not mine) don't want to eat seafood. You can also go right to the pound at the downtown location and purchase lobsters to take home and cook yourself.

Favorite Dish: Steamers, lobsters and clam chowder were all very good.

• Beaches

• where2next's Profile Photo

Opera Cafe: Internet Cafe

by where2next Updated Jul 5, 2005

On Cottage Street a few stores up from main there is an internet cafe / coffee house. The ambience was pretty cool. The computers are located in the back half of the cafe, and the owners have done a really nice job with interior decorating so the place feels cozy. The price for connecting to the internet will surely vary over time, I think it was a couple dollars per hour, though it doesn't cost mucjh to quickly check email, weather, etc.

Favorite Dish: They have coffee, et al, though I went with a Smoothie to cool down after some biking. They also have a ton of baked goods which all looked very tempting.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

West Street Cafe, A Seaside Grille: Don't Miss the Fresh Seafood

by 850prc Updated Oct 4, 2009

Here's the place

FIRST OF ALL, I hope you long-time VTers noticed my humor here... I used VT's exact example in naming this tip.... "don't miss the fresh local seafood". :) But the truth is, I couldn't have described it better.

The West Street Cafe is a good local place in Bar Harbor to get a fine seafood meal. The way I picked this cafe for dinner involved an email inquiry. I googled Bar Harbor and restaurants, and then sent email to those that sounded interesting. I received a personal and friendly reply from their manager, making the point of inviting us to come by anytime, and offering to make a reservation for us, even though they really didn't "do" reservations. Sooooo, off to the West Street Cafe we went.

It was an excellent choice. This place is all about fresh local seafood, prepared simply and presented in copious quantities. This is the kind of food I like to find when visiting a seaside town, and it reminded me of places we'd eaten during our '03 visit to the Kennebunkport area.

Excellent choice for an evening meal if you choose to visit Bar Harbor.

Favorite Dish: My wife, daughter and I determined that we'd each get a different local speciality - and it was our plan to share. Actually, it was suggested by the waitress as a good way to achieve a "seafood platter" that we had a chance of finishing. ( the actual seafood platter was reputed to be wayyyy more than the average mortal could finish) All of the food we ordered was your typical seaside fresh fried and it was excellent. We had haddock, scallops and clams (full clams, not just the strips).

Cole slaw was tasty and the fries/chips hot and tasty, too. There's a nice selection of local desserts - I had the blueberry pie, which is one of my favorites. Add some cold beer on tap and you're good to go.

BTW, there are some "early bird specials", including an early-bird lobster dinner for about $22. So if you're hungry early, go get some excellent food at an incredibly low price. Their early bird special includes lobster, blueberry pie and clam chowder, and that's the $22 deal. You can get JUST the lobster for something like $16.00, and it's fresh and tasty.

Instant Answers: Bar Harbor

Comments

Bar Harbor Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bar Harbor restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bar Harbor sightseeing.