Bethel Travel Guide

by Stephen-KarenConn

Bethel Hotels

Bethel Restaurants

by Helen196 Written Apr 25, 2003

This was the best food that we had tried all holiday - varying dishes from ribs to vegetarian. The menu isn't huge but everything we tried was cooked really well and tasted great.

The wines are also great - a little expensive but I find that all wine in America usually is - even the stuff that is made there!

Favorite Dish: Cheeeeeeesecaaaaaaake - big portion but not stodgy - nice and light!

My favourite - England just hasn't got a clue when it comes to cheesecake - they need to take a tip from the USA!

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

by FreeCloud Written Oct 4, 2002

Executive Chef Peter Bodwell joined the staff of the Sudbury Inn in December 2000. Formerly the the Their own website describes well: 'Chef/owner of 'Pete's Restaurant' at the Kedarburn Inn in Waterford, Maine and a Bethel native, Peter brings many years of fine dining kitchen experience to The Sudbury. Chef Bodwell's food is wonderful and he is particularly well known for his outstanding plate presentation'.

Favorite Dish: All. Has both elegant dining area and a pub for more casual fare. Conveniently located in the center of Bethel.

• Bethel Hotels

18 Hotels in Bethel

84 Reviews and Opinions

Bethel Nightlife

by Helen196 Written Jan 14, 2004

If you're coming to Sunday River for the Apres Ski, don't bother.

It is a very small quiet resort and even a trip into Bethel had us searching for somewhere that opened past 11pm. Maybe we just weren't looking in the right places.

The USASA champs were on whilst we were there so we expected it to be a bit lively, but I think all the action went on behind closed hotel rooms doors as we didn't get to see any!!!

Bethel Shopping

by Helen196 Written Jan 14, 2004

To say Sunday River is the biggest Ski/Board resort in Eastern USA, the shops were poor.

There was only one decent ski/snowboarding gear shop and that's at South Ridge Base Lodge. I got a great Bonfire boarding jacket for about £50, and a helmet for £15.

Bethel Off The Beaten Path

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Welcome to Maine

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 7, 2008

In June, 1995, I visited Maine for the first time, thus completing a goal to visit each of the 50 states in the United States. I stopped my car a few yards short of the New Hampshire - Maine state line and walked across ceremoniously. This photo, taken 12 years later, shows the spot.

Having been to every state, now I am on a quest to visit each of the 3,141 counties or their equivilents in the United States at least once in my lifetime.

• glo39's Profile Photo
    Olympia

by glo39 Written Mar 17, 2008

You've got to be jealous of those eyelashes!

Name: Olympia SnowWoman
    Height: 122' 1"
    Weight: 13,000,000 lbs. of snow-I wonder if she lies about her weight
    5 foot wreaths for eyes
    16 skis for eyelashes
    Carrot nose made of muslin, chicken wire & wood frame by the MSAD #44 elementary school children

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

by FreeCloud Written Oct 4, 2002

Artist's Covered Bridge - Newry, ME.
    (About four miles northwest of North Bethel)

It was built in 1872 and named the Artist's Bridge because of its reputation as being the most photographed and painted of the venerable covered bridges in Maine.

The bridge, an 87 foot Paddleford truss, was closed to traffic in 1958 when a new bridge was built downstream.

A covered bridge near Bethel,Maine (near the Sunday River Ski Resort).

Bethel Sports & Outdoors

• glo39's Profile Photo

by glo39 Updated Apr 4, 2011

You can cross country ski here or go snowmobiling or snowshoeing.
    A friend and I went snowshoeing on the groomed trails. We were the only 2 people on the mountain-perfect.
    A trail ticket costs $12.00.

Equipment: Rent your gear or bring your own.

• Hiking and Walking

Bethel Favorites

by Helen196 Written Jan 14, 2004

Favorite thing: What Sunday River lacks in apres ski it certainly makes up for in terrain. HUGE runs which will challenge everyone! FANTASTIC terrain parks which will entertain the more adventurous of you, and loads of chairlifts to take you back up to the top of the mountain!

Not a drag lift in site which is very good news for us boarders!!

Although there wasn't much snowmaking going on whilst we were there (it was too warm) the pistes were always groomed to perfection and only started getting really slushy towards the end of the week when we had a lot of rain.

Fondest memory: I learnt how to jump on my snowboard and our party as a whole gained a lot of confidence.

Instant Answers: Bethel

Comments

Map of Bethel