Blue Hill Restaurants

Arborvine Restaurant, Blue Hill, Maine
  • Westcott Forge Restaurant, Blue Hill Maine
    Westcott Forge Restaurant, Blue Hill...
  • Heading for lunch at theFish Net, Blue Hill, Maine
    Heading for lunch at theFish Net, Blue...

Best Rated Restaurants in Blue Hill

Beal's Lobster Pound: Fresh lobster

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 17, 2006

Munching on 3-1/2 pound lobster in Maine

I told my kids that in order to really experience the REAL Maine, we had to get lunch at a lobster shack where we would pick out our own lobster, which would be promptly plunked into a vat of boiling water. We visited Beal's over on the next peninsula near Acadia National Park. Beal's was a nice place for lobster because it is right on the water and there are plenty of picnic tables.

Favorite Dish: The lobster. (The headliner, natch.) The lobsters were either 1-1/2 pounds or almost 3-1/2 pounds. My husband, daughter and I picked out 1-1/2 pounders, while my son picked out a humongous 3-1/2 pounder.

Now, this is a matter of preference. They taste a bit different and the texture is a bit different, based on size. 1-1/2 pounders are definitely easier to eat because the shells are softer, and I thought the meat was sweeter and softer. On the other hand, my son preferred the taste and texture of the 3-1/2 pounder. So did our kayak guide who comes from a lobstering family. My daughter, on the other hand, could take it or leave it, whether 1-1/2 pounds or 3-1/2 pounds. I suppose it is an acquired taste, but it didn't take my son long to acquire it. He was wild about lobster from the first bite. Of course, if he thinks we are now going to eat like this back in California, he has another thing coming. Lobster ain't cheap when it has to be shipped cross-country!

Fish Net: Lobster Rolls

by karenincalifornia Written Aug 15, 2006

Heading for lunch at theFish Net, Blue Hill, Maine

Before I went to Blue Hill, I was told by another VTer that I just had to go to the Fish Net and get a lobster roll. She was right - the lobster rolls are excellent! Fish Net is your typical good quality fish shack, serving everything from chowder to lobster and crab rolls, fish and chips and blueberry pie and shakes. You can even get twin lobster dinners here. The food is fresh and delicious and a great place to stop for lunch or dinner.

One morning, we were hoping to get lunch to go to take on our kayak trip, but no dice. Fish Net doesn't open until 11:00 am.

Arborvine Restaurant: Dining circa 1823 style

by karenincalifornia Written Aug 15, 2006

Arborvine Restaurant, Blue Hill, Maine

Arborvine is one of the best restaurants in Blue Hill. The decor is early 1800's in a Cape Code style building. You'll dine in one of several candlelit rooms. The menu includes meat, fowl, fish and vegetarian dishes with creative sauces and skillful preparation. The desserts were scrumptious. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Our B&B, Blue Hill Inn, recommended this restaurant and kindly made dinner reservations for us even before we arrived.

Westcott Forge: Delicious Local Cuisine

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 15, 2006

Westcott Forge Restaurant, Blue Hill Maine

Westcott Forge serves delicious local cuisine - steaks, seafood, and vegetarian dishes. The decor is fun - the restaurant is located in an old building that used to house a company that produced forged products (as in ironworks, not checks). Some of the original products adorn the restaurant, such as the wrought iron handrailing on the stair case. Some will say this is the best restaurant in Blue Hill, and they may be right.

Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park: High Tea

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 15, 2006

Jordan Pond House, Acadia National Park, Maine

If you are taking a day trip to Acadia National Park, a popular lunch and afternoon tea spot is the Jordan Pond House near the carriage trails in the Park. The afternoon tea is a tradition going back to the 1800's. Weather permitting, lunch or tea is on the lawn with a gorgeous view of the "pond" (really a lake, but let's not get into semantics).

(Hills are moutains and lakes are ponds in Maine. More Maine misnomers...)

Favorite Dish: We passed on the high tea on the lawn, and instead opted for ice creams bars on the mezzanine.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• Mainemermaid's Profile Photo

Bagaduce Lunch: A little piece of heaven

by Mainemermaid Updated Mar 24, 2007

An old-fashioned roadside lunch stand with picnic tables has the perfect Maine waterside setting. Enjoy the best crabmeat rolls on the planet while basking in the lovely view of the reversing falls. Ice cream too. Open daily May to mid-September. The locals have loved this place for years. Birdwatching too.

Favorite Dish: Crabmeat rolls with the freshest seafood anywhere.

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Blue Hill

Comments

Blue Hill Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Blue Hill restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Blue Hill sightseeing.