Brunswick Travel Guide

You're officially at the College
    by Bunsch
    Welcome in two languages (not my pic)
    by Bunsch

Brunswick Hotels

Brunswick Restaurants

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

by Bunsch Updated Nov 17, 2010

It's misleading to select the Italian theme for this restaurant, because it is equally Greek (no such theme exists as an option) and entirely dedicated to local foods -- and the combination is surprisingly successful. As you enter, a blackboard lists the sources of each of the items on that night's menu. In addition to a standing menu which changes seasonally, there are always daily specials. The couple who introduced me to the Trattoria had already been there twice and had sampled a number of entrees and appetizers, so I had plenty of guidance to making my selections, but after being allowed tastes of what they chose, I'm convinced that there isn't a bad dish in the place. (I can't speak for the desserts, which looked delicious as they came out of the kitchen -- but we were so full that no one could manage.)

Both chefs, Tim O'Brien and Marc Provencher, are happy to make special dishes to order if you've had something you loved before. Their energy and dedication were obvious and the young waitstaff all seemed eager to please.

The restaurant could use a bit more work on atmosphere; other than the sculpture of the two nations whose cuisine is featured, and "windows" with photographs of scenes from both Italy and Greece, there wasn't the sense of cosy bustling that I associate with the notion of a trattoria. Also, it was quite chilly directly in front of the glass door opening to the street, and there was no handrail to guide one up and down the steps (the host said this would be remedied the following week, but it did make things awkward for my friend's cane-wielding husband).

Favorite Dish: The dolmades were perfect, and I thoroughly enjoyed my pork loin with lovely mushrooms and truffles. There is a selection of both Greek and Italian wines; we stuck with Italian, and I noticed that there were many intriguing choices.

Welcome in two languages (not my pic)

Instant Answers: Brunswick

Comments

Brunswick Travel Guide
Map of Brunswick