Maine fishermen catch between 55 and 60 million pounds of the tasty crustacean every year.
The following are some interesting LOBSTER TRIVIA:
1) It takes the average lobster from 5 to 7 years to reach legal size. In that time it will shed its shell between 25 and 27 times.
2) A female lobster will bear between 6,000 and 100,000 eggs. Fishery conservation laws in Maine prevent fishermen from keeping egg-bearing females.
3) There are more than 7,000 licensed lobster fishermen in Maine. Each year they put out more than 3 million traps.
4) Lobsters are naturally a greenish, yellow color. Only cooked lobsters turn red.
5) The largest lobster ever caught was pulled up off Nova Scotia and weighed just over 44 pounds. It was believed to be more than 100 years old.
6) The only legal way to catch lobsters is with a licensed trap.
7) Despite the fact they have more than 20,000 eyes, lobsters have terrible vision and communicate by smell and sensing movement with their antenna.
Favorite thing: Located at 165 Main Street, The GRAND CINEMA is an Art Deco Gem, which opened in 1938 and saved from demolition by its citizens. It was re-opened in 1975 as a performing arts center. The theater presents live performances in music, theater, dance and comedy.