Georgetown Travel Guide

• Georgetown
    by redhat333
  • Georgetown
    by redhat333
    Early evening by the water
    by TempNomad

Georgetown Things to Do

by TempNomad Written Sep 16, 2004

The water is not as cold in the lagoon, and the pull is not as strong. Children can romp about and have fun without the parents worrying about their safety.

It's a picturesque lagoon, but watch out for mosquitos!

• National/State Park
    • Water Sports

• TempNomad's Profile Photo
    It's best in the early morning...

by TempNomad Written Sep 8, 2004

This is at the very end of Sequinland Road and is a definite Must See. The park is mainly made up of two beaches: Mile Beach and Half Mile Beach. Lovely sand, rocky areas, lots of birds running from the surf, and even a surfer or two will all keep you busy with things to watch. The water is icy, but it's the views and nature people come for. For swimming, I hear people tend to gravitate towards the lagoon-like area that is a little warmer, and more friendly to children. See my photos in the travelogue!

BRING BUG SPRAY!

• Travel with Pets

by mrsdouglass Written Oct 4, 2002

Again, I'll just say the beach. Reid State park is the nicest beach I've ever been to (and I've travelled the East Coast extensively). It's never really crowded, it's never been closed for pollution, etc..
    There's a manmade lagoon mainly for children to swim in, but if you get there at just the right time after the tide goes out, there's a large natural lagoon perfect for swimming and floating (there's a gentle current in it). My favorite activity is walking the rocky parts of the beach and tidepooling. If you happen to be there in the winter you can find quite a treasure trove of sand dollars.

Georgetown Hotels

Georgetown Restaurants

by TempNomad Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you want something other than a lobster, try the "shack" next door. They had crab meat rolls, lobster rolls, and other less tactile meals. The customers looked very happy with their food, but we didn't eat there.

by TempNomad Written Sep 8, 2004

A wonderful treat. This ice cream shop runs out of a trailer painted fire engine red. The Gifford's ice cream is amazing, and the portions are generous. I had the greatest hot fudge sundae I've had since I worked at Friendly's and made my own. Mmmmmm. Try the Caribou flavor....so good!

Favorite Dish: I had a hot fudge sundae, and my husband had a milk shake. Both were great!

You can also buy no bake cookies and whoopie pies (home made!) in the store next to the Georgetown Scoop. Very friendly people, and delicious treats!

• TempNomad's Profile Photo
    We were so lucky with the lighting that day!

by TempNomad Written Sep 6, 2004

Lobster, steamers, corn, potatoes. That's pretty much it. We ordered a Big Boy...that turned out to be a Big Girl. I'd suggest the smaller lobsters as this one was pretty tough. The corn was over cooked, the potatoes were great. The owners are very friendly. We loved it! The photo on my Georgetown intro page is taken from our seat.

BRING BUG SPRAY!

Favorite Dish: I tried the lobster (first time in over ten years) and thought it was tough. But really, it's about the experience. I'd go again in a second...but I'd bring lots of Deep Woods Off. Lots!

We brought a bottle of wine with us and drank it from plastic cups. What could be better?? You can pick up a bottle of wine at a little shop on the right hand side of the street on the way.

Georgetown Warnings and Dangers

by TempNomad Written Sep 8, 2004

Bring lots of bug spray and wear socks! Maine is gorgeous, but I'm convinced one of the reasons the most beautiful areas are still beautiful is because the most natural of the inhabitants help keep the tourists away. It's worth the pain/itch/burn...but watch yourself!

• National/State Park

Georgetown Off The Beaten Path

by mrsdouglass Written Oct 4, 2002

While the main attraction is the beach, another thing to do is drive around the tiny island. The homes are charming and many are quite beautiful. This picture was taken from the back yard of one such home.

Georgetown Favorites

by mrsdouglass Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the beach! There really isn't any other reason to go to Georgetown. It's home to Reid State Park, which is miles of sandy and rocky beaches, sand dunes, and gorgeous ocean.

Instant Answers: Georgetown

Comments

Georgetown Travel Guide
Map of Georgetown