Unique Places in Maine

View of Nickels home
    by BruceDunning
    Fishing boat in the foggy harbor
    by LoriPori
    Lobster Traps
    by LoriPori

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Maine

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

Griffin's Cove, Best Swimming Hole Cliff Is. Maine

by ladyanne Written Aug 16, 2005

Griffin's Cove is a nice cut out cove that is shallow in parts and makes a great place for small children to swin and play in the water.

The best part is that when the tide is completely out, the hot sun warms up the mud, so by the time the tide comes back in, the water is warmer and acutally bearable to swim and wade in.

This is a favorite place to gather, and lounge while the kids are enjoying the water. The view is not bad either.

• Fishing
    • Beaches

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

The Bluffs on Cliff Island, Casco Bay, Maine

by ladyanne Written Jul 13, 2005

This is definately off the beaten path, as a matter of fact it is at the end of the path, you can't go any further than walk out into the deep blue sea.

The Bluffs on Cliff Island are the far side of the Island on the small part of the "H", the shape of the island when you see it from the air. The narrow path up from Kennedy Beach goes by a private home that gives the public permission to go and visit the magnificent rocky cliffs. Beware, it is full of poison ivy.

A great place to watch the surf, the boats, and the fisherman lobstering....but mostly most will agree a great place to through in your fishing line and try to catch a Striped Bass. Once you hook one, wow, what a fight. So much fun.

• Beaches
    • Fishing

Visit the Northern Lakes Region

by AKtravelers Updated Jun 30, 2005

An area of Maine that is popular with state residents but usually gets ignored by out-of-state visitors are the northern lakes. One fall, as the leaves were changing, we spent some time hiking the mountainous terrain around Rangely Lake. With the leaves changing, the scenary was stunning.

• Adventure Travel
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

Walk through an Old Cemetary

by AKtravelers Written Jun 30, 2005

Although this may seem macabre, it's great fun to wander through old cemetraries in Maine. Many of them have beautiful country settings or views of the seacoast. Often they have old headstones marking the graves of people who served in the American Civil War or fought in the revolution. It is a lesson in history as well as a different sort of beauty.

• Seniors
    • Hiking and Walking

Attend a Wild Blueberry Festival

by AKtravelers Updated Oct 2, 2004

Since Maine produces 85% of the world's wild blueberries, there are several festivals in which the blueberry is featured. The state even elects a Wild Blueberry Queen (see our travelogue). The festival we attended was in Union and it was quite small. Apparently, The Machias Festival is the best in the world -- it was even featured on an ESPN commercial.
    As at the fairs, we recommend the blueberry pie eating contests. Especially if you ever saw the movie "Stand By Me".

• Festivals

See a Pie-eating Contest at the Fair

by AKtravelers Written Oct 2, 2004

Maine, being a rural state, has dozens of country fairs going on in August. These are great ways to get a feeling for what life is like in small-town New England. Among the most fun things to watch at the fair is the pie -eating contest. They have contests for all age groups, but we just caught the pre-teenagers. If the kids were like this, I wonder what the adults were like.

• Festivals

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

The Lumbermen's Museum

by PA2AKgirl Written Sep 26, 2004

I was very disappointed to see that the Lumberjack show was closed for the season down in Bar Harbor. Not that I'm all into this kind of thing, it just seemed like a funny thing to check out. However, I do know it reopens on June 15th 2005 and I have my calendar marked. (I think it's the 15th, don't make plans according to my bad memory) Anyway, we left Bar Harbor to head up to Caribou and shortly after we got north of Bangor, the always populated I-95 informed us there would be no more service signs. We knew we were heading into desolation, but no matter...this is what we were looking for. Shortly after getting off the interstate to head even farther north, we saw a sign for the "LUMBERMEN'S MUSEUM" I can see people passing by the telephone museum on their way out of Bar Harbor but how many people can possibly pass the Lumbermen's Museum? Apparently not many because like the telephone museum, this wasn't open, either. This didn't keep us from being impressed that the museum is made up of NINE separate buildings in an open field. Not much else close by.

This museum documents what I really don't like about Maine. The importance of logging to the state. I would have liked to have seen the displays so maybe I would have some perspective as to why people still log in a clearcutting fashion in this state. The website does have some information, though. They are open on Friday-Sunday...the days and hours change at some point, the information is on the website.

Patten, Maine--accessible from I-95 North to Maine rt. 11 North.
    Near Baxter State Park

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

It's For You...

by PA2AKgirl Updated Sep 22, 2004

Okay, so I definitely like to go to places that wouldn't appeal to most people. The barbed wire museum in Kansas is my personal favorite, but that didn't keep us from finding a runner up on this road trip. We saw a little sign pointing to the "Telephone museum" between Bar Harbor and Ellsworth. Now, Maine needs to work on their attraction and road signs--they have these signs indicating the direction of these things and there's no turn in site. Miles later, you see what could possibly be the turn you need. After missing the turnoff the 1st time around, we turned around and proceeded down this narrow back road. Why anyone would put a museum back here is beyond me, but what I found out from the website is that the "building" was donated. I made the comment that it had to be someone's house and surely enough, as we pulled into the "parking lot" of the museum, it was behind something else. Bobby saw an antique car he wanted to get a picture of, so he got out and the owner of the house came out to talk to him. We then found out the museum wasn't open. This museum, by the way, is no more than a shed. The hours this museum is open are quite limited. 3 months out of the year, 3 days a week for 3 hours each of those days, I believe. Maybe 4 days a week. Either way, they seem to have a good selection of phone related stuff--like wires and switchboards and whatever anyone could possibly want to know about the telephone from the eyes of Maine.

So, most people may not know such a treasure is located so close to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park AND that you're likely to pass right by. If it's the weekend and you find yourself in North Ellsworth, Maine between the hours of 1-4pm during the months of July, August and September, check this place out. I know we will the next time we get up this way--we'll make sure we're there at the appropriate time, hehe:)

It's located off 1A on Winkumpaugh Rd.

Ft. Western is still around from 1754

by AKtravelers Updated Sep 15, 2004

Although there is not much reason to get off the highway and drive into Augusta, history buffs might be interested in tiny, old Ft. Western, built in 1754 on the banks of the Kennebec River. It is the oldest extant wooden fort in the United States, and it was originally built by the British government to protect it's northernmost Massachusetts possessions (yes, this was Massachusetts at the time) from the French in Quebec. By the time the American revolution rolled around, Ft. Western was already retired from its military duties and operating as a store. Still, it hosted Benedict Arnold for a while as he prepared to assault Quebec in 1775. This was before the general became famous as a traitor to the patriot cause.
    The fort is only a few minutes off I-95, right across the river from the old Augusta downtown.

Belfast Bay Brewing Company

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 17, 2003

We were heading down the coast from Bar Harbor to Portland and the main beer stop was to be Camden but Dublin looked like a scenic place too. I have to add that last minute I learned of a great sounding little brewpub in town so we stopped in and found a great friendly place with some excellent beers. The more run of the mill beers like the Lobster Ale were not very good but the bartender was great at giving free samples so no money wasted. Their big beers were just gorgeous. McGovern's Oatmeal Stout was lovely and won a silver medal at the 98 World Beer Championships. But the real gems were a super charged duo: one a Reserve Stout of 13-15% alcohol that was sublime in its dryness considering its power and the Old Hammer Barleywine (14%), a very hoppy take on the style. Though Doreen was driving from that point on, I did not drink much as I expect Seadog to still be in Camden. It was not and was mad I didn't enjoy these brews more. Well worth seeking out. It is literally on the road to Portland from Bar Harbor so keep your eyes open for it.

• Beer Tasting

Desert of Maine...

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 17, 2003

Well, actually this place is quite popular but I had never heard of it before so must be mostly known by the gray bus crowd. We camped here and as part of our fee, we got free tickets to visit this odd little corner of the earth. Evidently it was a huge farm at one time that somehow got overtaken by sand. Hence, the desert of Maine moniker. Kinda hokey but we got a nice laugh out of it one morning. And right off the Interstate too. ;)

behind the old port...

by richiecdisc Written Nov 17, 2003

Portland is a real port town with a bustlng modern area as well as the historical old town. It is easy to imagine life here 100 years ago and if you go behind the main tourist areas, you will be all alone with nothing but your thoughts

St. Lawrence Street Church

by richiecdisc Written Nov 17, 2003

St. Lawrence Street Church was at the far end of Congress Street and made for an interesting departure from the main tourist area. Unfortunately, it was in an awful state but would be a nice place for the city to refurbish as it was an unusual building

• Architecture

• BabciaMaine's Profile Photo

Shaker Village

by BabciaMaine Updated Aug 21, 2003

Shaker Village as a religious sect had the biggest membership in the late 1700s. It was a surprise to me to read that the group continues to funtion at present at Shaker Village in present day New Glouster/ Poland Spring. There is a gift shop there with numerous goods produced by the group and a tour of the grounds which is 6 dollars and takes a couple of hours. We did not take the tour but will report back with an update when we get back to do that and spend time in the functioning library. The group originally forbid marriage and most contact between the sexes. I am interested to learn how they have continued to the present day.Shaker Museum
    routwe 26 New Glouster Maine
    707 Shaker Road
    New Gloucester, ME 04260

• BabciaMaine's Profile Photo

Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge

by BabciaMaine Written Jun 21, 2003

Short trail much of it board walk through an interesting estuary salt water marsh. There are numbered stops and views with basic general information about flora and fauna.
    locarted at 321 Port Road Wells Maine . It is a short distance from route 1 and from Kennebunkport

• Eco-Tourism

11 Reviews - 22 Photos
Millinocket Hotels
12 Reviews - 21 Photos

Instant Answers: Maine

Comments

Maine Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Maine off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maine sightseeing.
Map of Maine