Ogunquit Restaurants

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Maine Diner: Diner in Wells

by Dabs Updated Sep 27, 2007

Dale Arnold

My good friend Andy (hopkid) sent me several restaurant recommendations in Maine and I knew they would all be good but only had time for one so we selected Maine Diner which was just up the street from where we stayed in nearby Wells.

We got there shortly before noon and got a table in the 90 seat diner, after that people coming in had a short wait so I imagine this place is absolutely packed in the summer. The restaurant is set up like a typical diner with a counter, booths, a few tables and lots of pies laying around to tempt you. This restaurant is open year round unlike some of the seasonal restaurants. Open 7 days a week from 7am-8:30pm

Favorite Dish: Andy had recommended the lobster pie which is one of their specialities but I was dying to try a lobster roll, even better they had the "Dale Arnold", a hot lobster roll with chunks of warm lobster meat served in a grilled roll with a side of butter to dip it in and chips. It was delicious! You can also get the traditional one made with big chunks of knuckle, claw, and tail meat with mayo in a toasted grilled bun. I also had a cup of she-crab soup, very rich, no way I could have finished a bowl. Andy also recommended the Indian pudding for dessert which is corn meal, molasses, light cream, butter, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. It was very rich, it reminded me of the flavor of pumpkin pie and the texture of Cream of Wheat. I couldn't finish it because I was stuffed and it was very rich but it was very interesting.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Fisherman's Catch: Local seafood spot

by Dabs Updated Sep 27, 2007

Lobster #5

We asked our hosts at the Gazebo to recommend a spot for an unprententious seafood dinner and they recommended two places, Fisherman's Catch and Mike's Clam Shack. We opted for Fisherman's Catch, we never would have found this place on our own as it's located in nearby Wells, a few miles up the road from Ogunquit and down a quiet side street. We pulled up at 7:30 and had to wait for about 10 minutes for a table, good thing we didn't dilly dally as they stopped serving food at 8 pm since it's not peak season, open until 9 during peak season. They are only open from early May-mid October so check the website to make sure they are open.

Seating was at picnic tables with wooden lobsters holding rolls of paper towels over our heads. The locals were all staring at us as we took pictures, this seemed like a really local kind of place! Our waitress was very friendly and they didn't rush us even though we were their last customers and Robert eats really slowly. This is a family owned place, the waitress we had was the owners cousin and everyone was extremely friendly. My kind of place!

Favorite Dish: I was on a mission to eat as many lobsters as I could while in Maine but there was no way I could eat the twin lobsters on this night so I ordered a 1 1/4 lb. lobster ($16.99) which came with a roll, chips, cole slaw and real drawn butter. We ordered a couple of appetizers to split, fried oysters ($10.59) and onion rings, both portions were plentiful and very good.

There were various other seafood and non seafood items on the menu, you could also get a 1 lb. lobster, 1 1/2 lb. lobster or twin lobsters in 1 lb., 1 1/4 lb. or 1 1/2 lb (no sharing allowed).

• FIVE-O Shore Road: AWEFUL

by fllpwm Written Sep 20, 2007

One of the most unforgettable meals I have ever had in OGT. The staff and management were rude and too "busy" having a confab in the back corner to help us and the Manager was too busy at his "perch" at the front door to notice. I will not even discuss the food but will tell you I have had better meals prepared by a 12year old.

Favorite Dish: I cant say I have one........the onion rings looked passable...

• Caffé Prego: Nice Cafe

by peach93 Written Aug 14, 2007

Caff�� Prego

About a 5-minute walk from the beach right on the town's main street, this place is great. It's got lots of covered tables outside and at night it's very romantic, all lit up with white lights. I like to sit out on their deck and get lunch or a glass of wine and watch the people pass by on the street.

Favorite Dish: They make very good little pizzas here and they also have good salads. Their pastries and coffees are great too.

• The Hayloft: Cheap, Homemade Food

by peach93 Updated Aug 14, 2007

The Hayloft

Located just over the Ogunquit line in Wells, the Hayloft is one of those places that would be easy to overlook. For one thing, the restaurant opened in 1985 and hasn't been redecorated since. But if you can get past the way the place looks you'll be surprised to find that they serve some really good homemade food there. They have really good coffee (I'm picky) and great blueberry pancakes. I also tried their fish chowder and their kids' menu is pretty good, too. The Hayloft also serves seafood as well as other dinner entrees such as roasted chicken and steaks.

• Ogunquit Lobster Pound: The Best Lobser Ever

by peach93 Updated Aug 7, 2007

Ogunquit Lobster Pound

This place is a serious contender in the "Best Lobster Ever" category. I mean lobster is never really bad, but the Ogunquit Lobster Pound is something special. When you walk into the place you feel kind of like you're going back in time--in a good way. The whole interior is panelled in wide pine boards, very rustic Maine. It's the kind of place where you can order a martini, sit back and feel good about it. You also have the choice to eat inside the restaurant or to order your lobster or steamers from a window outside and eat at a picnic table.

I should also mention that they do serve things besides lobster here. They have lots of other kinds of seafood and well as non-seafood stuff and a kids' menu.

If you want to eat here keep in mind that they don't open until 4:30 PM.

Favorite Dish: Lobster. But this is the good part: After you order your lobster you then go outside to the pool and pick out the one you want. It works the same way with the steamers. Oh, and the steamers here are great, too. They keep them in a nice tank full of seawater so they are not sandy when they get to the table.

• The Egg and I: Great Breakfast!

by peach93 Updated Aug 3, 2007

The Egg and I

This little breakfast place is right on Route One across the street from the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. It opens really early in the morning and stays open until early in the afternoon. They have really good, homemade food and pretty good coffee. It gets really crowded on weekends, so get there early to avoid waiting. Also they only accept cash, no credit cards, so make sure you have some with you!

Favorite Dish: I'm not a big breakfast person, but I love pancakes, especially blueberry pancakes. This places makes them with real wild Maine blueberries and gives you a choice of having them in the pancakes or on the pancakes (in is better). They're some of the best I've ever had.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

Cape Porpoise Lobster Co./Chowder House: Fresh Lobster---Ummmmmmm!

by paulapes Updated Oct 15, 2006
    This is it--nothing fancy!

Nothing fancy here! Eating at the end of the dock in Cape Porpoise, Maine is a great way to end the day. You can eat outside and enjoy the water views. They serve the freshest seafood, beer, and wine.

They also ship lobsters nationwide.

Favorite Dish: Lobster! Lobster! Lobster! It's so good because it's lobster!!!

• Icemaiden02's Profile Photo

Cove Cafe: Family-run gem for breakfast

by Icemaiden02 Written Aug 14, 2006

The Cove Cafe is located at the entrance to Perkins Cove. It's family-run, they serve breakfast daily from 7.00 am to 1.00 pm. The restaurant area is fairly small-- there are approximately 5 - 8 tables, to seat 2 to 4 people per table. There is also a breakfast bar that seats 4 people.

Favorite Dish: Fishermen's Omelette consisted of sausage, bacon, ham, bell pepper, onion and cheddar cheese; came with toast and home fries (quartered, oven-roasted red potatoes). $7.95

• Adventure Travel

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Roberto's Italian: If the lobster is getting to be a bit much...

by TempNomad Written Sep 15, 2004

Gotta love your garlic! Roberto's treats you well. It's a very popular restaurant with the locals and tourists. The menu is huge, and the variety is wonderful. We had a large party here and everyone was very happy with the food. Apparently, the veal manicotti was especially good.

Favorite Dish: I had a wonderful pasta with mushrooms and tomato, but my favorite thing was the tomato and mozzarella plate and the antipasto. They are both very generous. The house wine is good, too!

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Cypsy Sweethearts: My very favorite was Gypsy...

by RhondaRuth Updated May 9, 2003

Gypsy Sweethearts

My very favorite was Gypsy Sweethearts. The service was great and the food wonderful!

Views of the beautiful gardens and local art work add to the colorful atmosphere. Diners can choose between the romantic upstairs, the porch overlooking Shore Road or one of the cozy dining rooms.

Note: Most places in town require reservations and most stop serving after 9 - 9:30 pm. So take my advise and make those reservations early.

Most of the restaurants in Ogunquit are in houses turned into food establishments with lots of 'charm'. Reminded me of the Bed & Breakfasts everywhere here. Great service too!!

Favorite Dish: The Almond Crusted Haddock was spectacular! The dessert was 'to die for'!! The name of it eludes me, but I imagine any of their desserts would be wonderful.

Like in the old days, the wines are kept in the cellar, the herbs are grown in the garden and the ice cream is turned out back. Does this say anything about the taste? Delectable!

More expensive than average, but I would say worth every penny of it!

Dinner from 5:30
    Closed Mondays
    For Rervations (207)646-7021

• My ultimate favorite...

by ShirleyD Written Oct 5, 2002

My ultimate favorite restaurant is without a doubt Lobster Pound.
    Everything is so fresh and tasty. I would go back to Ogunquit just for that one meal!!

Favorite Dish: I am a huge lobster lover and this is the best place I have ever been to to eat some (hard shell!). Their clam chowder is also unbelievable. The lobster is kind of pricy but it truely is the best you'll ever have.

• vrage's Profile Photo

Hurricanes!: Hurricanes!

by vrage Written Oct 4, 2002

Martinis served in a min-carafe, surrounded by shaved ice, to keep chilled until you are ready to drink :)

Favorite Dish: Everything seemed great, steamed mussels, caesars, swordfish, cocktails...worked for me. Great service as well, and I am one quick to down a restaurant.

• Kay_C's Profile Photo

Barnacle Billy's - Perkins...

by Kay_C Written Oct 4, 2002

Barnacle Billy's - Perkins Cove
    Views are great of the harbor and the ocean. Waiter was very helpful in showing us how to eat the lobster - there is a very special technique to attacking this crustacean!

Favorite Dish: Gotta have Lobster!

• Maples01's Profile Photo

The Oarweed: Don't miss the fresh seafood

by Maples01 Updated Sep 21, 2002

Ahhhh. this place is very nice. Located in Perkins Cove at the end of the Matrginal way. Weather permitting, you can sit either inside in a nice bright wooden area or outside on the open air patio. We chose the patio and it overlooks the ocean. Be sure to get here early for dinner because it does get crowded quickly.

Favorite Dish: Had THE BEST Baked Stuffed Haddock I have ever eaten. Stuffed with lobster meat and spices.....Came with a twice baked potato. Saw others order the lobster and they seemed a great size for the price. Anything here looked of great quality. My companion had the fish sandwich with fries and it looked great also.

Instant Answers: Ogunquit

Comments

Ogunquit Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ogunquit restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ogunquit sightseeing.