Ogunquit Restaurants

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Maine Diner: Diner in Wells

by Dabs Updated Sep 27, 2007

Dale Arnold

My good friend Andy (hopkid) sent me several restaurant recommendations in Maine and I knew they would all be good but only had time for one so we selected Maine Diner which was just up the street from where we stayed in nearby Wells.

We got there shortly before noon and got a table in the 90 seat diner, after that people coming in had a short wait so I imagine this place is absolutely packed in the summer. The restaurant is set up like a typical diner with a counter, booths, a few tables and lots of pies laying around to tempt you. This restaurant is open year round unlike some of the seasonal restaurants. Open 7 days a week from 7am-8:30pm

Favorite Dish: Andy had recommended the lobster pie which is one of their specialities but I was dying to try a lobster roll, even better they had the "Dale Arnold", a hot lobster roll with chunks of warm lobster meat served in a grilled roll with a side of butter to dip it in and chips. It was delicious! You can also get the traditional one made with big chunks of knuckle, claw, and tail meat with mayo in a toasted grilled bun. I also had a cup of she-crab soup, very rich, no way I could have finished a bowl. Andy also recommended the Indian pudding for dessert which is corn meal, molasses, light cream, butter, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. It was very rich, it reminded me of the flavor of pumpkin pie and the texture of Cream of Wheat. I couldn't finish it because I was stuffed and it was very rich but it was very interesting.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Fisherman's Catch: Local seafood spot

by Dabs Updated Sep 27, 2007

Lobster #5

We asked our hosts at the Gazebo to recommend a spot for an unprententious seafood dinner and they recommended two places, Fisherman's Catch and Mike's Clam Shack. We opted for Fisherman's Catch, we never would have found this place on our own as it's located in nearby Wells, a few miles up the road from Ogunquit and down a quiet side street. We pulled up at 7:30 and had to wait for about 10 minutes for a table, good thing we didn't dilly dally as they stopped serving food at 8 pm since it's not peak season, open until 9 during peak season. They are only open from early May-mid October so check the website to make sure they are open.

Seating was at picnic tables with wooden lobsters holding rolls of paper towels over our heads. The locals were all staring at us as we took pictures, this seemed like a really local kind of place! Our waitress was very friendly and they didn't rush us even though we were their last customers and Robert eats really slowly. This is a family owned place, the waitress we had was the owners cousin and everyone was extremely friendly. My kind of place!

Favorite Dish: I was on a mission to eat as many lobsters as I could while in Maine but there was no way I could eat the twin lobsters on this night so I ordered a 1 1/4 lb. lobster ($16.99) which came with a roll, chips, cole slaw and real drawn butter. We ordered a couple of appetizers to split, fried oysters ($10.59) and onion rings, both portions were plentiful and very good.

There were various other seafood and non seafood items on the menu, you could also get a 1 lb. lobster, 1 1/2 lb. lobster or twin lobsters in 1 lb., 1 1/4 lb. or 1 1/2 lb (no sharing allowed).

• Caffé Prego: Nice Cafe

by peach93 Written Aug 14, 2007

Caff�� Prego

About a 5-minute walk from the beach right on the town's main street, this place is great. It's got lots of covered tables outside and at night it's very romantic, all lit up with white lights. I like to sit out on their deck and get lunch or a glass of wine and watch the people pass by on the street.

Favorite Dish: They make very good little pizzas here and they also have good salads. Their pastries and coffees are great too.

Five-O Shore Road Restaurant: Fine Dinning

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

Five-O Shore Road

One of Ogunquit's most popular restaurants! Five-O features fine dining, as well as a popular bar, and a late night menu. The bar is very popular with locals at night.

Reservations recommended.

Favorite Dish: We've only been once so far, so I won't have a favorite until I go back again and again.
    What I had was great and I'll go back sometime!

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

The ImPASTAble Dream Restaurant: Italian at it's best!

by RhondaRuth Updated Apr 4, 2011

The ImPASTAble Dreem

Nestled in downtown Ogunquit among the rustic shops and businesses you'll find a dream come true at The ImPASTAble Dream...

Great Italian food with a menu that gives you excellent discriptions of what you're going to get.

Favorite Dish: Check out their menu. It's pretty hard to have a favorite when you've only eaten there once so far, but I can tell you that what we had was delicious and I can't wait to go back again!

• The Hayloft: Cheap, Homemade Food

by peach93 Updated Aug 14, 2007

The Hayloft

Located just over the Ogunquit line in Wells, the Hayloft is one of those places that would be easy to overlook. For one thing, the restaurant opened in 1985 and hasn't been redecorated since. But if you can get past the way the place looks you'll be surprised to find that they serve some really good homemade food there. They have really good coffee (I'm picky) and great blueberry pancakes. I also tried their fish chowder and their kids' menu is pretty good, too. The Hayloft also serves seafood as well as other dinner entrees such as roasted chicken and steaks.

• Ogunquit Lobster Pound: The Best Lobser Ever

by peach93 Updated Aug 7, 2007

Ogunquit Lobster Pound

This place is a serious contender in the "Best Lobster Ever" category. I mean lobster is never really bad, but the Ogunquit Lobster Pound is something special. When you walk into the place you feel kind of like you're going back in time--in a good way. The whole interior is panelled in wide pine boards, very rustic Maine. It's the kind of place where you can order a martini, sit back and feel good about it. You also have the choice to eat inside the restaurant or to order your lobster or steamers from a window outside and eat at a picnic table.

I should also mention that they do serve things besides lobster here. They have lots of other kinds of seafood and well as non-seafood stuff and a kids' menu.

If you want to eat here keep in mind that they don't open until 4:30 PM.

Favorite Dish: Lobster. But this is the good part: After you order your lobster you then go outside to the pool and pick out the one you want. It works the same way with the steamers. Oh, and the steamers here are great, too. They keep them in a nice tank full of seawater so they are not sandy when they get to the table.

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

Cypsy Sweethearts: My very favorite was Gypsy...

by RhondaRuth Updated May 9, 2003

Gypsy Sweethearts

My very favorite was Gypsy Sweethearts. The service was great and the food wonderful!

Views of the beautiful gardens and local art work add to the colorful atmosphere. Diners can choose between the romantic upstairs, the porch overlooking Shore Road or one of the cozy dining rooms.

Note: Most places in town require reservations and most stop serving after 9 - 9:30 pm. So take my advise and make those reservations early.

Most of the restaurants in Ogunquit are in houses turned into food establishments with lots of 'charm'. Reminded me of the Bed & Breakfasts everywhere here. Great service too!!

Favorite Dish: The Almond Crusted Haddock was spectacular! The dessert was 'to die for'!! The name of it eludes me, but I imagine any of their desserts would be wonderful.

Like in the old days, the wines are kept in the cellar, the herbs are grown in the garden and the ice cream is turned out back. Does this say anything about the taste? Delectable!

More expensive than average, but I would say worth every penny of it!

Dinner from 5:30
    Closed Mondays
    For Rervations (207)646-7021

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Bread & Roses Bakery: Delicious Baked Goods

by Hopkid Written Oct 6, 2007

Bread & Roses has a wide selection of baked goods, cakes, and treats such as turnovers, scones, oatmeal bars, and date squares. And you know what? They're good! Looking for something different I tried the rustic apple tart which was a heavy but tasty nest of yummy dough within which was well-seasoned tart apple slices. Bread & Roses also serves a large selection of Carpe Diem coffees which are roasted locally.

Bread & Roses is a great place for breakfast or a snack anytime!

Favorite Dish: Rustic apple tart

• The Egg and I: Great Breakfast!

by peach93 Updated Aug 3, 2007

The Egg and I

This little breakfast place is right on Route One across the street from the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. It opens really early in the morning and stays open until early in the afternoon. They have really good, homemade food and pretty good coffee. It gets really crowded on weekends, so get there early to avoid waiting. Also they only accept cash, no credit cards, so make sure you have some with you!

Favorite Dish: I'm not a big breakfast person, but I love pancakes, especially blueberry pancakes. This places makes them with real wild Maine blueberries and gives you a choice of having them in the pancakes or on the pancakes (in is better). They're some of the best I've ever had.

• Barnacle Billy's: Nice!

by peach93 Written Jun 26, 2009

Located in Perkins Cove, Barnacle Billy's is actually two restaurants in one. They have a formal dining restaurant with table service, and then right next door a more informal place where you order your food and pay at a counter, then sit wherever you like. Both restaurants sell beer, wine and cocktails and both are really nice depending on what you're in the mood for. Both restaurants also overlook the Cove. The seafood here is great, especially the clam chowder. Another great thing: they have free valet parking. Parking in Perkins Cove is horrible because the streets are tiny and weren't really meant for cars. There is a pay parking lot at the entrance to the Cove, but if you eat at Billy's you can park for free and then walk around the Cove a bit when you're done. The town trolley also stops in Perkins Cove if you don't want to drive.

Favorite Dish: Lobster, but that's always my answer.

• Beaches

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Barnacle Billy's: Seafood plain and simple

by Hopkid Written Oct 6, 2007

In the Perkins Cove section of Ogunquit, Billy's serves no-nonsense steamers, fish, and lobster and does it right. The whole lobster is simply steamed and served with melted butter. The best part is the claw meat which is much sweeter and tender than the tail. And don't forget to ask for some bread on which to spead the tomale or the green creamy guts of the lobster. It really is tasty. If the weather is nice definitely eat outside on the covered deck.

Please note that Billy's is closed during the fall and winter seasons.

Favorite Dish: Whole Maine lobster

• momstribeof7's Profile Photo

Barnacle Billy's: Ocean View

by momstribeof7 Written Jul 27, 2008

It is located right off Perkin's Cove. It's the only restaurant we saw actually on the water. Casual atmosphere, great place to grab a bite, lobster roll, sandwich, or a hot dog for the kids. Sit back on the patio and watch the waves roll in. Very inexpensive. Also, for those interested, this happens to be one of the places that Bush Sr. frequents. He pulls right up in a speed boat with the grand kids. Pretty cool!

Favorite Dish: Lobster roll, it was delish.

• Beaches
    • Seniors

• Bintliff's: Don't miss breakfast at Bintliff's

by 03431 Written Sep 30, 2012

The best breakfasts ever! Try the raspberry almond pancakes, the creme brûlée French toast, or the champagne eggs Benedict. All fabulous!! A bit more pricey... About $11.95, but absolutely worth it! We go to Ogunquit about 2-3 times a year and go every time. Not really a kid place, but if it's just adults you can't miss at this restaurant. Have a Bloody Mary or a mimosa with it. What a way to start your day! Brunch is 8am to 2:30.

Favorite Dish: The raspberry almond pancakes are my favorite. I get them every time. What's nice, though, is that you can mix and match- get one pancake with eggs or a pancake/French toast combo, etc.

• BeachFire Bar & Grill: Overrated--Stay Away!

by peach93 Written Aug 25, 2009

Ugh. BeachFire looks nice, very nice, from the outside and the atmosphere inside is nice, but that's about the end of its good points. The food here is just so-so and WAY overpriced. The wine list is ridiculous, the service sketchy, the waiters borderline rude, and in a nutshell, eating here is just not worth the money or hassle. Do yourself a favor and stay far away.

• Gay and Lesbian

Instant Answers: Ogunquit

Comments

Ogunquit Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ogunquit restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ogunquit sightseeing.