Places to eat in Portland

Gorgeous Gelato
    by CEP1863
    Lobster bisque - bland and watered down
    by andrewsarchus
  • ANOTHER VISIT, THIS ONE IN SEPTEMBER OF 2011
    ANOTHER VISIT, THIS ONE IN SEPTEMBER OF...
    by Rich62

Most Viewed Restaurants in Portland

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Gelato: Wonderful ice cream

by CEP1863 Updated Oct 28, 2013

I spotted this place as I was wandering along Fore Street and enjoying the sunshine and thought, "Why not." There are a huge range of flavours to choose from and the real difficulty is to choose which to have! In the end I opted for the coffee and the dark chocolate and I was not disappointed. Definitely a place that I would return to.

• Rich62's Profile Photo

Dry Dock Restaurant & Tavern: Great Clam Chowder

by Rich62 Updated Oct 19, 2011

Just a nice spot in a good area to stop for a bite to eat.

Favorite Dish: The clam chowder, in my opinion, was excellent. The price was less than half of another spot we know that features fish chowder, but this chowder was just as good. Here it was only $3.95/bowl (in September 2011).

• Rich62's Profile Photo

SUPER GREAT WALL BUFFET: GREAT ASIAN AND AMERICAN FOOD

by Rich62 Updated Oct 19, 2011

A NICE CHINESE BUFFET WITH A LARGE SELECTION of well prepared foods.

Sun-Thurs 11 am - 10 pm

Fri. & Sat: 11 am - 10:30 pm

Favorite Dish: They even have Mussels at this buffet. Everything I sampled was tasty and good.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• m1nkey's Profile Photo

Chicago Dogs: Mixed feelings on this one.

by m1nkey Written Oct 11, 2011

I had never been to a Chicago dog before so I thought I would try it.
    It was a short order counter and I ordered a chili dog and a kraut dog. And that's what I got. A bun, a frank and the chili/kraut. The bun was a nice poppy seed bun, A+ on that. The frank was a good regular size dog. Thankfully it was grilled not boiled. The chili tasted like it was straight out of a Hormel chili can and the kraut was a canned item and made the bun very soggy. I was handed the dogs wrapped in foil which I had to UN-package in order to put any condiments on it. The condiment table was a disappointment. Granted most of it was pickled but it was not chilled and the onions had been out so long they had turned color.
    After i dressed and re-wrapped my dogs, I carried them away loose because there were no bags. I can say that I have had worse, but for $3 each for a regular dog, i was expecting a little more. Especially from a store that specializes in Hot dogs.

Saeng Thai: Wonderful!

by m1nkey Written Oct 7, 2011

I love good Thai food and this is a great restaurant. I have been there several times and it never fails to please. I had the BBQ duck, and my wife had the teriyaki salmon. It was wonderful as always.

• m1nkey's Profile Photo

Hometown Buffet: YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

by m1nkey Written Sep 10, 2011

I think the title say it all. The food was tasteless, boring and sloppy. The dining area was like a crowded airport and the servers wandered through the dining room pushing large smelly trashcans to clear the tables. I would not go there for any reason.

• m1nkey's Profile Photo

Dunston School Restaurant.: A waste of time and money!

by m1nkey Written Sep 10, 2011

This place is actually on Route 1 in Scarborough, but you could easily go without eating there. The food was bland and unexciting. The service was nearly non-existent and I left hungry even though it was an all you can eat buffet. They should be ashamed to call this a restaurant.

• m1nkey's Profile Photo

IHOP: Good blueberry pancakes.

by m1nkey Written Sep 10, 2011

How can you go wrong with IHOP? It was clean, quick and the food was good, fresh and hot. It was what you would expect. Not fine dining, but when you are looking for breakfast you can't go wrong here.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

DiMillo's: Ferry with incredible views

by apbeaches Written Aug 9, 2011

The ferry was recently taken out of service & turned into a restaurant. We sat on the balcony surrounded by flowers with fabulous views of the port. Service & food were almost as memorable as the restaurant itself.

Favorite Dish: Lobster, lobster and more lobster. Fresh & delcious. The lobster chowder & lobster salad were huge & memorable.

• Business Travel

• morochaargentina's Profile Photo

Rivalries: Sports Bar

by morochaargentina Updated Apr 4, 2011

Our favourite sports bar in Portland. Millions of TVs with all the sports that you can think of, great pub food, a good selection of beers and very friendly staff, what else can you ask for??? Oh! yes! It's VERY clean :)

Favorite Dish: club, nachos, burgers, great pub food

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Granny's Burritos: Another good place for lunch

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Granny's Burritos is located on Fore Street and it's another good option if you're looking for a quick, healthy meal. Although it may sound like a Mexican restaurant, Granny's Burritos offers a wide selection of burritos that goes from the more traditional ones to Chicken Mango and Sweet Potatoe burritos. All the burritos are made on the spot with fresh ingredients and even though they are not greasy and/or drenched in salsa, they are very filling - in fact, they seemed to weigh about 2 pounds!

Update: Portland VTer fernijer has just written to let me know that Granny's Burritos closed in the fall of 2007. I'll leave my tip on in case they relocate soon!

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

Flatbread Company, Portland, Maine: No Ordinary Pizza Place.....Natural!!!!!

by ladyanne Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is not your ordinary Pizza Place!!! All Natural Pizza baked in the huge stone wall of one side of the restaurant with open fires.

Lots of different "mood" seating from booths to couches and chaires around a coffee table, also a deck for summer over the water.

Lots of different banners made by children, an earthy envirement. Kids can ask for their own dough to work with and roll out or just smush between their fingers at a bench all their own, close by the ovens...a rare treat and different experience. Keeps them busy while you wait for your pizza.

Favorite Dish: I love the natural fresh beet and spinach pizza with goat cheese.

• Beaches

• Sarichka's Profile Photo

Bayou Kitchen: Bayou Kitchen - amazing cajun in Maine

by Sarichka Written Jan 13, 2010

Best breakfast ever. Service was rushed, but that's because the place is small and everyone was probably as anxious to get their food as we were. Jalapeno corn bread is great, black beans were awe inspiring. I tried to re-create this breakfast for months afterwards. Husband had eggs and red beans and rice and was likewise awed. If you like spice and/or cajun flavors, this is your place. We've often talked about just driving up for breakfast and driving back down, but we're usually too hungry in the morning to imagine a two hour drive to food. Soon, though, soon.

Located in Portland proper above the penninsula. Not really walkable from downtown Portland, but well worth the drive.

Favorite Dish: Jalapeno corn bread!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

157 Cafe and Bar: It's Maine and so it's Lobster!

by johngayton Updated Dec 6, 2009

This is the restaurant in the lobby at The Eastland Park Hotel. At the time of my visit it was called Adele's.

UPDATE 2007 - Checking facts on thier website this seems to have been revamped into the 157 Cafe and Bar. The menu however seems to be pretty much the same and of course has several variations on the lobster theme.

It may have changed but here's my experience:

It was a quiet Sunday. I was more than happy to eat at the bar with a couple of other residents - no point in sitting in an empty dining room. The couple of other residents were a self-made golfer guy and a pair of suitably attractive ladies. My accent impressed the ladies. The golfer guy asked me which courses I'd played.

"The New, the Eden, the Jubilee and obviously the Old Course." I replied.

"You're full of sh-eye-t!"

"Nah I know that I need at least 12 balls just to get round the course. If they don't end up in the sea, they'll be out of bounds on the landside."

"What's your handicap?"

"36 and my mates will give me an extra shot if I'm struggling."

This guy seemed to be a serious golfer and so I told him about "The Road" ( out of bounds). I told him about the inshore rules when your ball was in the sea. HA! His lady friends seemed to find me amusing.

So I just walked him through the course, hole by hole. He ended up bug-eyed. "You're full of sh-eye-t!"

Well, having now been told twice that I'm "Full of ..." I reckoned I had to respond - "You're the first Republican I've met in my 3 months in the US and you fit!".

The spectularly-bodied brunettte laughed. I winked. The barman grinned diplomatically. I picked up the tab for all four of us and added a decent tip. Mr Golfer was on the phone to his Mafia mates - it seems my life was only worth $10,000.

Favorite Dish: Well it has to be the lobster, and I didn't see the point in having it anything but plain boiled and served with pulled butter. This was absolutely spot on, nothing clever, just perfectly cooked, meaty, flavoursome and tender lobster with a set of claw crackers, a lobster pick and copious napkins (that'll be serviettes in yankspeak). Drooling still with the memory!!

And if memory serves me correctly the 1 and 1/2 lb lobster was less than $20 - a bargain to boot!!

• Beer Tasting
    • Trains

• kehale's Profile Photo

Becky's Diner: Great Seafood!

by kehale Written Nov 26, 2009

We were visiting Portland to attend a concert and before we left my boyfriend was checking online for a place to eat dinner. He came across some recommendations for Becky's Diner, so we decided to check it out. It doesn't really look like much from the outside (or inside for that matter), but it's the food you are going for. The staff that night were all pretty young, but they were all really friendly and we were seated really quickly despite how busy they were.
    My boyfriend tried a local beer called Gritty McDuff's and he really liked it. For an app we ordered the crab cakes and they were really delicious. They were a great size so we each took one and the dipping sauce was really delicious as well. A great way to start dinner.
    My boyfriend ordered a 1lb steamed lobster that came with drawn butter, corn on the cob and a baked potato for $14.95. Great deal and he ate everything (even though the corn on the cob was not in season). I ordered the grilled crabmeat & swiss cheese sandwich. It was good, but I found that they used far too much mayo to hold the crabmeat together and it made the sandwich really rich so I couldn't eat very much. We did bring it home with us though for someone else to enjoy. Before we left we got a slice of the Oreo cake to go and our waitress gave us a HUGE slice! It was a great treat after our concert... as all of their cakes are homemade! Definitely give them a try!
    They are known for their breakfast, but unfortunately were weren't in the city for breakfast. Maybe our next visit!

Portland Hotels

Latest: Apr 7, 2014
Pomegranate Inn
Latest: Mar 17, 2014

Instant Answers: Portland

Comments

Portland Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Portland locals.
Map of Portland