Places to eat in Maine

Plain Eggs Benedict and home fries
  • Mom, My Aunt & my Brother heading to breakfast
    Mom, My Aunt & my Brother heading to...
    Lobster stew and popover

Most Viewed Restaurants in Maine

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Bob's Clam Hut: First place to stop in Maine

by Hopkid Updated Oct 6, 2007

If you're driving north on I-95, the first place you want to stop after crossing the Piscataqua River from Portsmouth, NH is Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, ME. This was stop No. 7 on the day of our Maine foodie outing and I was seriously ill from all the food we had eaten to that point, but one bite of their tasty clam roll and I was feeling great! No lie! Ligthly battered and fried clams piled high on a fresh roll with a squeeze of lemon was just the right snack! They have a huge menu with lots of other great sounding stuff. Lobster rolls, whole clams, fish and chips, scallops, oysters, shrimp, even a haddockwich.

Eat outside on the picnic benches or in their fast-food chain dining room inside. You walk up to the windows outside and order. It'a fun experience. Oh, and there's outlet shopping across the street!

Favorite Dish: Clam roll

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CAPTAIN MIKE'S - BRUNSWICK MAINE: BRUNSWICK - FAMILY RESTAURANT - STEAK & SEAFOOD

by LoriPori Written Oct 5, 2007

As Hans had to have his dinner of Lobster, we asked at the desk at the Super 8 where would be a good place to eat. He suggested CAPTAIN MIKE'S FAMILY RESTAURANT so that's what we did. It was about 3 miles from our Hotel.
    The restaurant was bright and cheery and very simple but they had terrific friendly staff and great food. Hans opted for the surf-n-turf which for $32.99 you got a 1 1/4 pound lobster and a 7-ounce sirloin steak. The "Lobstah" was wonderful Hansi said. I had the Senior Sirloin for $7.99 and it too was delicious.

• IndepTraveler's Profile Photo

J's Oyster Bar: Best place for lobster roll

by IndepTraveler Written Sep 3, 2007

Found this great place from a recommendation of a former local. Not a fancy place, though - outdoor seating on a dock was cool, but this is a very casual place. Indoor was basically an expanded (though not much!) bar with plenty of character...and hungry locals. Right on the waterfront. Affordable, too, at only $10 for a lobster roll. The service was friendly for the most part, but not super prompt or attentive.

Favorite Dish: Awesome lobster rolls - huge chunks of claw meat, roll not so big it overwhelmed the meat. Everyone who took my advice and ate the lobster roll at this place loved it! Also, great local beer.

• Cruise

Lobster and BBQ: Roadside Restaurant

by Florida999 Written Aug 17, 2007

I don't remember the exact name of this little roadside restaurant in Ellsworth, on the way to Bar Harbor, but it was the only one I saw that had both Lobster and BBQ. The kids had BBQ pork sandwiches, we had crab rolls. Both were good.
    You can see the pots they cook the lobsters in, in the photo.

Street and Company: Great atmosphere in Portland

by easterntrekker Written Aug 8, 2007

We stopped here bothe times we visited Portland . I think the old stone walls draw us in . The atmospher is really great.. Its in a narrow street where there are lots of restaurants and you can sit outside . I had the minced tuna spagetti and it was very good. We found it a little pricey though at $139.00 for dinner for two with wine no dessert.

• Business Travel

Weathervane Seafoods: Great lunch spot

by easterntrekker Written Aug 8, 2007

All my tips on restaurants in Maine are seafood , I guess that's what I look for. Here's another ..We stop here everytimne we go to Kittery . The food is always good and at lunch time its pretty prompt too ( works for me since I akways am anxius to get shopping!!)

They have a nice fish sanwich that you can get with steamed veg , its a big serving for $8.99. Of course ther eare chowders , lobsters clams etc

Warren's Lobster House: Warren's for seafood

by easterntrekker Written Aug 8, 2007

This is a pretty popular spot and we were happy we called ahead. It's situsted right on the water and has big windows for a nice view . The seafood was great . I loved the haddock stopped with lobster the best...my husband had the platter and the thermidor wasn't that great. everything else was super though. A nice casual bustely place!

BBQ House: Chinese and BBQ

by Florida999 Updated Aug 3, 2007

After hiking up Katahdin and running out of food there on the way down, we were all starving. We found this place in Millinocket. BBQ and Chinese food are on our list of favorites. The lady that owns was born in China,and told us she moved to Maine from NYC a few years ago. There were only a few customers in the place at the time ( it was late and in the middle of the week) so we talked to her for a while. GREAT food! I had BBQ ribs and fried rice, the rest of my family had some very large BBQ plate with chicken, ribs, and shortribs on it. All of it was really good,and despite being very hungry we had left-overs. Oh yeah, and I had one of my personal favorites, a Margharita!
    Not to many places you can have American BBQ, Chinese food AND a Margharita all in one place! I highly recommend it.

Favorite Dish: ANYTHING

Maine-ly Delights: Affordable Lobster

by Florida999 Written Aug 2, 2007

Someone at the campground we were staying at recommended this place to us as being good, and less expensive than the $28-$40 lobster meals you get in Bar Harbor, so we went for it. It is a little out of the way, but not much. My husband and my daughter had the lobster and liked it, my son had a crab roll, I had fried fish, which was ok. But, I am not much of a seafood person.
    There are no bathrooms at the restaurant, only a porta pottie out back.

Favorite Dish: I prefer other stuff besides seafood, but I had a bite of my son's crab roll, and it was pretty good actually. I don't like lobster at all, so I am not the person to ask about that, but according to my family it was good lobster.

• ValerieThompson's Profile Photo

The Maple Leaf: Canadian Chinese take out or eat in

by ValerieThompson Updated Jul 21, 2007

The Maple Leaf has a little bit of everything to offer the diner. You can order from menu or choose from the buffet.

Favorite Dish: My favorite was the Chinese. I suppose because we crossed the US/Canadian border to get Chinese at the Maple Leaf. Oh Well!

• Adventure Travel

Mouse & Bean Internet Cafe: Coffee and free WiFi

by paulapes Updated Mar 11, 2007

Coffee their specialty, of course and they offer a large variety of lattes, cappuccinos, daily specials and just plain old coffee, as well as scones and other baked goods. They also offer sandwiches and soups for later in the day. It's a very relaxing atmosphere where you can sit for as long as you like and visit with friends on the sofas, or at the tables, or use their internet services.
    They have special events at night also, so be sure to check on their website to see what's going on.

Favorite Dish: I like scones and cappuccino, so that's what I've had. They have quite a few different flavors of coffees and teas for the adventurous drinker.

• WheninRome's Profile Photo

Rockland Cafe: Amazing Breakfast

by WheninRome Written Dec 2, 2006

My wife and I overnighted in Rockland, Maine before catching the ferry the next morning out to Vinalhaven Island for our week long stay there. Before getting in line at the ferry terminal Sunday morning we wanted to have breakfast in the old downtown section of Rockland. There were about 3 local cafes to choose from, but we decided on the Rockland Cafe, I think their attractive and welcoming outdoor sign had something subliminally to do with it.

We weren't disappointed. It was one of the best breakfasts of our lives.

The restaurant was small so there was a little, less than 10 minute wait. The waitresses were friendly, the service good, and the atmosphere was perfect.

The Rockland Cafe was so good that we wanted to stop and eat there again on our return from Vinalhaven Island. However, our return schedule did not allow it.

Favorite Dish: I had a huge stack of delicious blueberry pancakes. I am a blueberry junky and these pancakes were amazing.

My wife had a gigantic omelette with tons of fresh vegetables inside. She said it was one of the best omelettes she had ever had.

My wife also ordered a grilled blueberry muffin. The muffin was also huge, with tons of fresh blueberries in it. It was cut in half, the cut portions spread with butter, and lightly grilled. My wife and I later tried this both at home and at our vacation house on Vinalhaven Island and could not reproduce the fantastic taste that this Rockland Cafe grilled muffin had.

Gritty McDuff's L/A Brew Pub: Pub Fare in Maine

by paulapes Updated Oct 1, 2006

Stumbled upon this pub one day in Auburn, Maine. Food and drink great. Decor is typical brew-pub style, lots of wood and bricks, and it is on the river with riverfront views from the deck. My husband and I shared our lunch (good thing because it was plenty). Total for lunch with beer for both was about $18.
    Their menu is different--for instance there is the Black Fly Beef Stew -- no, there are no flies in it, they use their Black Fly Stout as one of the ingredients!

Favorite Dish: They have sweet potatoes fries (one of our favorites!) and our sandwich, the Brewer's Chicken, was a delicious surprise--made with a crunchy coating of real brewer's barley--sounds strange, but definitely worth a try.
    The second time we went, we both had the fish & chips. It's not the beer batter we're used to, but the fish and potatoes were perfectly cooked and we were very happy with it and the service.

• Beer Tasting

Sea Dog Brewing Company: Food & Brew

by paulapes Updated Oct 1, 2006

Pub atmosphere, good prices...good place for lunch. Here's just a sample of what's on the menu, I think there's something for everyone here.

Vegetarian Chicken
    Vegan grilled chicken on a deli roll with radish sprouts, cucumbers and a pesto mayonnaise. $7.95

Healthy Hummus on Oat Bread
    A delicious crunchy sandwich made with hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and radish sprouts. Available toasted. $7.95

Sea Dog Cheese Steak
    Grilled shaved steak with peppers, mushrooms, Sea Dog onions and American cheese on a Philly roll. $7.95

Basic Burger $7.75

Basic Burger with Choice of Cheese
    American, Cheddar, Swiss, Stilton or Pepper-Jack $8.25

Favorite Dish: Food's very good, but really, we go for the beer!!

• Beer Tasting

• paulapes's Profile Photo

The Robinhood Free Meetinghouse Restaurant: Cream Cheese Biscuits--Yum!

by paulapes Updated Oct 1, 2006

...delicious! We ate there one night and everything was great. Homemade breads and cream cheese biscuits..we ordered two of the specials that night, mine was shrimp with spicey barbeque sauce and basmati rice (and it WAS spicey).. yummy! Chuck had eggplant stuffed and baked that was also delicious.

The Meetinghouse was...an old Meeting House! really nice and definitely worth the trip to Georgetown.
    Old former meeting house, converted into a restaurant. The prices were fairly expensive, but I feel it was worth it for a special meal.

Favorite Dish: My choice was spicey barbeque shrimp..and the breads and biscuits were terrific!

Maine Hotels

11 Reviews - 22 Photos
Millinocket Hotels
12 Reviews - 21 Photos

Instant Answers: Maine

Comments

Maine Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Maine restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maine sightseeing.
Map of Maine