Southwest Harbor Travel Guide

Southwest Harbor Hotels

Southwest Harbor Restaurants

• aquatic's Profile Photo

by aquatic Updated Sep 3, 2010

I don't know who sat that long on the internet and created all those votes to make this restaurnat #1 on Trip Advisor!
    Having a little bit of experience I can judge about the restaurant by how it smells and by the look at their dishes. I wanted to leave this one as soon as we got our bread on the table. But my partner said to give it a try. Yeh-yeh, he believed the Trip Advisor.
    Then we were offered a featured wine which none of professional chefs would allow in their restaurant - it was awful! We had to return the bottle we chose from the list. Finally we ordered chilean wine and it was the best I had that evening because everything else was on the level of a diner. I wanted to save and did not order main course. Can you believe??? We had to pay a Sharring fee - 4 dollors to share one main course!!!
    So... don't waste your money and the precious evening. Go some place else. For the same amount of money you will be treated like a king in Red Sky, for example...

Favorite Dish: none

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

by Cabana_Boy Written Sep 8, 2002

I could never figure out the name of this restaurant... It's either 'eat-a-pita' or 'Cafe 2' or 'Dinner with Chef Marc' as all are titles on the front of the building.
    Stop in here for lunch during the warm months as they have a nice outdoor patio.

Favorite Dish: Seafood chowder and a fish sandwich. Follow this up with a desert of world famous Maine blueberries piled high on some vanilla icecream.

• Southwest Harbor Hotels

11 Hotels in Southwest Harbor

69 Reviews and Opinions

Southwest Harbor Off The Beaten Path

• by Momcat17 Updated Oct 1, 2005

We were there just after Memorial Day this year. All of Mt. Desert (pronounced De-ZERT) Island is less busy and crowded that early in the season, but it was still more peaceful than Bar Harbor, which was pretty active even then. The locals say it never gets too crowded or busy there, but there were enough people around that it did not feel deserted (excuse the pun). It is centrally located to island sites and activities and, from late June to early October, the Island Explorer free shuttle buses come through, so you do not even have to drive. There are quite a few nice-looking B&Bs and rental properties there and everyone was very nice.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo
    Port in a Storm Bookstore in Somesville, ME

by Cabana_Boy Updated Mar 4, 2003

'Off the wall' bookstores are the best and just up the street from Southwest Harbor is a really good one. It's also my favorite name for a bookstore that I have come across yet, the 'Port in a Storm' bookstore is actually located in Somesville and has a great nautical selection as well as a 'local' section featuring some of the writers and writings of Maine and Mount Desert Island.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Southwest Harbor? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Southwest Harbor

Comments

Southwest Harbor Travel Guide
Map of Southwest Harbor