Spruce Head Travel Guide

Spruce Head Hotels

Spruce Head Restaurants

Seafood Stew

by Geoff_Wright Updated Nov 13, 2003

Prior booking of a table is essential here. the restaurant overlooks the delightful bays around Clark Island itself. Unfortunately, by the time we sat for dinner it was already dark outside, but there was an almost full moon, which shed its light on the calm, still waters.

In the morning, at breakfast, it was an altogether different view, and no less stunning. and, by the way, breakfast is included in the hotel rates, although a gratuity is expected. (and one was given!).

Favorite Dish: For Starters: Crab Cales, sauteed golden grown with lemon and tarter sauce ($8.95)

Entrees: We had the Inn's own seafood stew:

Fresh Haddock, Maine shrimp, Scallop and Mussles, simmered in a creamy tomato and wine broth. ($8.95)

Wine: $6 a glass

And to finish: Coffee and Ice Cream.

The meal was absolutely fantastic, but I doubt we should have had the Crab Cakes! Too filling, and we couldn't finish all the seafood stew!

Spruce Head Off The Beaten Path

Moon over the Ocean

by Geoff_Wright Written Nov 13, 2003

If you don't live in Maine, then I would say that a trip to Spruce Head and Clark Island are well off the average visitor's Beaten Path. I don't think I've ever seen such a tranquil scene as this, with the moon rising over the glassy calm of the Atlantic Ocean, as the sun was setting behind me. A picture I shall remember for many years to come (I Hope, haha).

Spruce Head Favorites

Coastline in the evening

by Geoff_Wright Updated Nov 13, 2003

Favorite thing: The photo doesn't do justice to Clark Island. As already stated, it was getting close to sunset when we arrived, and anyone who knows even a little about photography, knows that late afternoon is not the best time to take photos - not without the specialist type of camera that is!

Fondest memory: Sitting here back in England, I wish now that we had had time to spend exploring more of this wonderful area. But that can be said of almost everywhere we visited. You could spend a complete day of your vacation doing nothing more than hiking around the various paths in the area. Within a short drive you can be at Marshall Point Lighthouse, at Port Clyde, or Port Clyde itself, where you can take a ferry trip out to Monhegan Island, or visit some of the other lighthouses, such as Owls Head Lighthouse.

by Geoff_Wright Written Nov 13, 2003

Favorite thing: As a guest of the hotel, you are permitted to explore Clark Island itself. We did, however, feel a little intimidated by the signs saying that it was Private Property, and of the dogs running around the house just over the causeway to the Island proper. So, instead, we walked along the deserted beach, scrambled amongst the huge granite rocks, and did a spot of beachcombing, picking up 3 or 4 objects to bring home to Cornwall with us as a reminder.

• Spruce Head Hotels

1 Hotels in Spruce Head

71 Reviews and Opinions

Instant Answers: Spruce Head

Comments

Spruce Head Travel Guide
Map of Spruce Head