Stonington Favorites

by MickeyMuse

Best Rated Favorites in Stonington

• Maine in June

by MickeyMuse Written Aug 1, 2003

Favorite thing: Now, I probably shouldn't share this, but.....

It had been a few years since I'd been to Maine in June. August was always my favorite time to visit., but for the last couple of years, we'd been going up fpr the July 4th festivities. This year, we went in June because of the general "itch" to get there and my work schedule. It was wonderful. Not as chilly as September can be at night. The days were warm and the night very comfortable. And the crowds were minimal. We were actually able to park downtown in Stonington. The temps were more suitable for the pups too. We never stray far from the truck, but we were able to walk about a bit more both with and without them. Aeryn naturally had to hop the wall at L.L.Bean, it's amazing how she seems to remember it each year! So, my new tip, if it's possible, head out before the kiddies get out of school and the area gets too crowded. But stay away from site 10 at the campground, it's ours! Kidding :)

Fondest memory: Just being there. But, if I had to choose a symbol to represent just being there, it would be the bridge. I love that bridge. I feel the stress drain right out of me as I see it looming off in the distance. Everytime I cross it, I wonder if it will remain intact, they're constantly working on it and it amazing to feel it sway in the wind when your stopped atop it for road construction. At night, it's like your climbing to the stars and again, you wonder as you approach the peak if the bridge is still there on the other side. Going over the bridge in the fog is an unforgetable experience! You truly feel like you've climbed into the clouds and you can't even see the end of the bridge and you begin your descent. This bridge brings me to an island of beauty unsurpassed. Small wonder that I love that bridge.

• Camping

• Relax

by MickeyMuse Written Feb 25, 2003

Stonington harbor

Favorite thing: This is the perfect place to just kick back and relax. Ok, admitedly, driving through the downtown area can be a little tense if you aren't used to close quarters. It doesn't bother me, but I've heard of people who don't like venturing down there during the day. There is some parking available, but not much. The town is working on ways to improve the situation.

Fondest memory: Living there and the wonderful people that I met there.

Instant Answers: Stonington

Comments

Stonington Favorites

Reviews and photos of Stonington favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stonington sightseeing.