Stonington Travel Guide

• Stonington
    by MickeyMuse

Stonington Things to Do

• Harbor - Stonington Maine

There are a few shops downtown, a nice clothes shop, The Grasshopper Shop. They do carry quite a few very expensive items of clothing and shoes, but they also have a nice collection of T-shirts and other ods and ends including some wonderful perfumed oils.

• Lily pond in Stonington, Maine

I don't know why, but I never expected to find a beautiful little lily pond like this one on the island. It really is a treat.

• Get out in a boat and tour the island

Whether you go out on one of Capt Bill's boat trips, which I highly recommend, or take the boat ride that they offer downtown, which is good, but not as detailed and more expensive that Bill's. Another nice trip is the boat ride out to Isle Au Haut.If you can, try and get out in a boat to really appreciate the beauty of this island.

Stonington Restaurants

• Another nice place to eat

The food here is very good, but not as good as the service. It's always a pleasure to return to one of your favorite places and find that the people there remember you and they even remember what you like to eat and drink. It's a rare find, especially in a busy little resort town like Stonington can be. Their Tollhouse pie is out of this...

• Favorite places to eat

I have a picture of The Countryview over on my main Maine page. It's our first stop every year. It appears to be just a nice roadsie place to eat with a lovely covered terrace, but they put food out that surpasses the quality of many, many other fancier restaurants that I've been too. Their crab rolls and lobster rolls are the best. The fried...

• Stonington Hotels

0 Hotels in Stonington

Stonington Nightlife

• by MickeyMuse Updated Jan 6, 2003

As you can see by the header, the Opera House has it all

Dress Code: Depends on the event, common sense applies. For most events, I'd say casual.

Stonington Opera House

Stonington Warnings and Dangers

• by MickeyMuse Written Jan 6, 2003

Stonington can be quite crowded at times, there's no real polite way to put this...with crowds often comes those people who just don't know how to mind their own business. One evening we got out of the car to check and see how crowded the 4th of July festival was, we left the truck windows slightly open, all four of them and a fan going inside. We have tinted windows all around the truck, just for the puppies. We were about 20 ft from the truck and we watched in amusement as a woman became quite dramatic circling our truck and loudly commenting on how she couldn't believe anyone would do this (leave the dogs inside). When she started to put her hand toward the open window, I finally interceded by telling her that if she should put her hand in the truck window, it would probably be bitten off. She was quite embarrassed when she realized we hadn't left them alone, we were standing right there and she went off in a huff. I love animals as much as the next person, we actually plan our activities around the dogs and I bought my truck with them in mind. Common sense needs to be applied when a person sees a dog in a car/truck. This woman did nothing but agitate the dogs. We had a second incident with another woman in town, similar circumstance. One of the reason that we don't take the dogs out when we go downtown is the fact that there aren't any leash laws on the island and more than once, we'd been approached by strange dogs. The dogs are actually safer in the car than they are walking the streets with us. So, just these two tips when traveling in Stonington with your dogs, the cars is probably the safer place for them, especially if you don't like being approached by strange dogs, but, by leaving them in your vehicle, you might meet some strange people!

Aeryn Sun

Stonington What to Pack

• by MickeyMuse Written Feb 25, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I like to make sure that I pack a jacket when we head up in August and a pair of sweats, the nights can get a bit chilly.

Harbor - Stonington, Maine
    • Camping

Stonington Favorites

• Maine in June

Now, I probably shouldn't share this, but.....It had been a few years since I'd been to Maine in June. August was always my favorite time to visit., but for the last couple of years, we'd been going up fpr the July 4th festivities. This year, we went in June because of the general "itch" to get there and my work schedule. It was wonderful. Not as...

• Relax

This is the perfect place to just kick back and relax. Ok, admitedly, driving through the downtown area can be a little tense if you aren't used to close quarters. It doesn't bother me, but I've heard of people who don't like venturing down there during the day. There is some parking available, but not much. The town is working on ways to improve...

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Stonington? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Stonington

Comments

Explore Deeper into Stonington
Map of Stonington