Waterville Travel Guide

Looking from Colby campus over town
    Flowers on Colby Campus
    River with logs near Waterville

Waterville Things to Do

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Dec 12, 2010

My time at Colby was a considerable time ago. But part of my junior year in high school was taken up with SATs, college applications and visits to college campuses. So one thing to do in Waterville if you had high school age students in the family would be to visit the college campus. I was at Colby in the summer. I visited all but one college in the summer. I liked the one college that I visited during the school year the best. So even though I was in summer school there, my advice is to visit during the regular school year It will give you some insight into what the college is like.

Office hours are are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekdays, and from 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturdays in April, and September through December.

It would be a good idea to take one of the student-led tours. Tours are available on all days when the Admissions Office is open and include visits to classroom buildings, Miller Library, science laboratories, Cotter Union, and students’ rooms. Families also are welcome to see other buildings not on the tour, including our performing arts facilities, art museum, and athletic complex, which are open during most of the year.

My father took a lot of photos of the outstanding building on the campus which was the Miller Library which would be part of a tour.

Built in 1939, Miller Library was one of the first buildings completed on the Mayflower Hill campus. In 1983, a major addition and renovation doubled its size. There are spaces for 700 students to study in the library, which houses Colby's humanities and social sciences collections including books, documents, periodicals, newspapers, microforms, and video. The ground floor includes "The Street" (a popular study and meeting place), two classrooms, Information Technology Services offices, the Farnham Writers Center, and a student computer cluster. Offices for American studies, English, history, and women's, gender, and sexuality studies are located upstairs. When the College is in session, Miller Library is open from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. seven days a week. Study areas and a computer room are open 24 hours a day. Special library hours are observed before and during exam periods and when school is not in session.

Miller Library Miller Library Miller Library Chapel and library sports fields /tennis courts
    • School Holidays

Waterville Hotels

Waterville Favorites

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Oct 29, 2010

Favorite thing: Since I flunked French in college (not really my fault - I did so well on the placement exam that I was put into Advanced French even though I had only one year of high school French), and I didn't want to retake French, I decided to go to summer school to take care of those credit requirements. I picked Colby to attend.

I found that other than my roommate who was also just finished her Freshman year, most of the girls in our dorm were high school students from NYC.

There was a small kitchen in our dorm but there were no utensils - not even ice cube trays. I smuggled items (like ice cube trays) from other areas by suspending them under my skirt. We also bought a brownie mix which came with a pan and baked it in the oven using cold cream to grease the pan since we did not have butter.

Fondest memory: One of the things I managed to do was to persuade the janitor in the chapel to let me in to play the organ. That was a peaceful way to spend an afternoon of my free time.

According the current Colby website:

Lorimer Chapel (photo 5) seats more than 500 and is a popular venue for lectures and concerts as well as religious services. It houses the offices for the Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant chaplains as well as the intimate Rose Chapel. The Nickerson Carillon tolls the hour from the chapel tower. Lorimer was the first building constructed (in 1937) when Colby moved from its old downtown location to the Mayflower Hill campus.

Me (on left) and my roomate in 1956 My mother and me on the dorm steps 1956 Dorms at Colby another photo of the dorms Lorimer Chapel
    • School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Waterville

Comments

Waterville Travel Guide
Map of Waterville