Aberdeen Travel Guide

• Restaurants
    by cjg1
    Steak, eggs, potatoes and pancakes
    Biscuits and potatoes

Aberdeen Things to Do

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

by Tom_Fields Updated Nov 3, 2009

One of the finest military museums anywhere. This one has more tanks, armored personnel carriers, artillery pieces (both towed and self-propelled), mortars, machineguns, and small arms than any other that I know of. It's comparable to the Imperial War Museum in London and the General Patton Museum at Ft Knox combined.

The exhibits come from all over--the US, Britain, Nazi Germany, Czechoslovakia, France, the Soviet Union, Japan, Italy, North Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq, and elsewhere. They span both World Wars, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the Gulf War, and the present.

Inside the main exhibit hall are more weapons and equipment. This includes the largest collection of machineguns that I've ever seen. It also has a huge displays of ammunition, from the early days of gunpowder to the present. There's a nice exhibit on bomb-disposal, too.

You cannot miss the huge guns on display out front. One is a German K-5 railway gun used in World War II. This 280mm (approximately 11-inch) monster was employed in the Italian campaign, to shell Allied troops in the Anzio area. Hence the nickname "Anzio Annie". Directly across from it is an American artillery piece, whose design is based on the K-5. It was introduced in the 1950s in Europe, and designed to fire nuclear and conventional shells. Needless to say, I'm glad that it never had to be used.

In the near future, this museum will be closed. Its exhibits are being moved to a new location at Fort Lee, Virginia (near Richmond). Some are still here, while others have already been shipped out. Please check the website for more up-to-date information.

The US Army Ordnance Museum Anzio Annie (at left) and the atomic cannon The main exhibit hall World War II armored vehicles A 16-inch coastal defense gun
    • Museum Visits

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

by ErinInMD Updated Apr 22, 2005

4/22/05
    Update: Sadly, it was announced that the Big M/Bel Air Drive In are no more. The Big M (the restaurant side) closed Fall 2004 and the drive-in closed for good 4/15/05 due to financial difficulties. It's sad to see it go as it was only 1 of 2 drive-ins left in Maryland. I will leave my orginal tip up, if only for the memories. :(

------ (original tip) --------
    The Big M is a drive in and a place to eat. There is only one other drive in left in Maryland and it's cool that this one is so close to home.

I often tell my friends at work (Delaware) about the Big M so that they can bring their children. It's amazing how many kids have never been to a drive in!

• Aberdeen Hotels

14 Hotels in Aberdeen

Aberdeen Hotels

Aberdeen Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Jun 3, 2013

My wife and I were travelling back to NY from DC early on Memorial Day Monday when we saw the sign on the Highway for Bob Evans. We were in need of a good breakfast and we knew Bob Evans would satisfy.

Bob Evans is a chain of restaurants almost like an IHOP or Denny's but with excellent homestyle country cooking. My wife and I enjoy this chain and have always found the food to be quite delicious and very filling. Their menu has great items like country fried steak, steak and eggs, butermilk bicuits and other tasty breakfast items as well as lunch and dinner.

We arrived in the early morning and were surprised that the place was jam packed. We were seated at the last available table and a line quickly formed behind us. After perusing their breakfast offerings we were ready to place our order. I chose the steak and eggs combo meal that came with buttermil pancakes. My wife chose an order of their shreded potatoes and two butermilk biscuits. For a beverage my wife ordered their caramel cappucino.

Our food took less than ten minutes to arrive and we were glad it did; we were starving. My steak and eggs were quite nice. The meat was very tasty. I didn't get to touch more than half of a pancake; I was too full. My wife loved her buttermilk bisuits and her shredded potatoes. I must say thier potatoes are quite good and always a favorite of mine.

Food was good, service was quick and friendly and the price never breaks the bank. I was glad to discover a Bob Evans so conveniently located off the highway. We are often roadtripping this way so it's good to have a place to stop for a meal.

Caramel Cappucino Liz with her biscuits and potatoes Biscuits and potatoes Steak, eggs, potatoes and pancakes

Aberdeen Sports & Outdoors

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

by DEBBBEDB Updated Sep 24, 2009

Cal Ripkin, the famous Iron Man of baseball has set up a baseball facility called The Ripken Academy for Little League teams where they have tournaments. My son's traveling team came up here to compete one year. In addition to the tournaments they have Ripken youth camps

The facility consists of a youth-sized version of Oriole Park at Camden Yards, known as Cal Sr.'s Yard and youth-sized replicas of Wrigley Field, Fenway Park and Memorial Stadium.

Equipment: This is a team sport and you have to bring all your own gear. Some of the parents drove up because there's a lot of gear for a baseball team. We flew and rented a car.

My son pitching Husband took one of my grandmother & me watching Photographer of the field Boys putting their equipment away after the game Son in field
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Aberdeen

Comments

Aberdeen Travel Guide
Map of Aberdeen