Antietam Off The Beaten Path

  • ferry hill
    ferry hill
    by doug48
  • ferry hill, west view
    ferry hill, west view
    by doug48
  • grove house
    grove house
    by doug48

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Antietam

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    mt. airy

    by doug48 Updated Dec 5, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    grove farm
    2 more images

    mt. airy plantation house also known as grove farm was built in 1821. this 2 1/2 story flemish bond brick house with federal and greek revival elements was the meeting place of president lincoln and general mc clellan two weeks after the battle of antietam. lincoln was annoyed with mc clellan for not pursuing general lee into virgina. on november 7 th 1862 lincoln relieved mc clellan of command. grove farm is located just west of downtown sharpsburg on RT 34.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    mount olivet cemetery

    by doug48 Written Dec 4, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    confederate memorial mt. olivet cemetery

    mount olivet cemetery is located in frederick maryland. this is one of several cemeteries were confederate dead were reinturned after the battle of antietam. since the antietam national cemetery was restricted to union dead the confederates had to buried elsewhere. the mount olivet cemetery is located at 515 s. market street just south of downtown frederick.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    pry house

    by doug48 Updated Nov 21, 2011
    pry house
    1 more image

    a knock on the door on september 16 th 1862 forever changed the lives of phillip and elizabeth pry. for almost twenty years the prys prospered on their 140 acre farm along antietam creek. thousand's of soldiers and horses decended on this farm. fences were knocked down, crops trampled, loads of hay confiscated and livestock was taken to feed the union army. the pry house served as union general mc clellan's headquarters and a union field hospital during the battle of antietam. two weeks after the battle president abraham lincoln visited the pry house. after the battle phillip pry filed numerous claims with the war department for damages to his farm. portions of the claims were paid and some were disputed. the financial burden proved too much for the prys and in 1874 they sold their farm and moved to tennessee. today the pry house is a medical museum and has an interesting collection of civil war era medical instruments. a $ 2.00 donation is requested. the pry house is located about a mile east of the battlefield on RT 34.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    newcomer house

    by doug48 Updated Nov 19, 2011
    newcomer house

    the newcomer house is located on boonsboro pike (RT 34) just west of the site of middle bridge over antietam creek. the newcomer house was built in the 1830's. the newcomer house and 2.5 acres around it was purchased by the national park service from william chaney in 2007. the house opened to the public in november 2011. the newcomer house is decorated with period antiques. the address is 18422 boonsboro pike (RT 34) near middle bridge.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    grove house

    by doug48 Updated Nov 17, 2011
    grove house
    4 more images

    this historic building is located in downtown sharpsburg just west of the battlefield. on the night of september 17 1862 general robert e. lee met with generals jackson, longstreet, and stuart at the grove house before they withdrew back to virginia. the grove house is located at 100 main street (RT 34) downtown sharpsburg.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    general robert e. lee statue

    by doug48 Updated Nov 17, 2011
    general robert e. lee CSA

    the general lee statue is located near the newcomer house in the eastern part of the antietam battlefield park. this modern statue was sculpted in 2003. william chaney, the owner of the newcomer house at the time commissioned this statue because only four of the one hundred and four monuments in the park are confederate monuments. chaney who was a decendant of general lee said "i thought that the park needed a little evening up". the save historic antietam foundation (SHAF) brought suit to take the statue down because it is located in the middle of the former union lines. the park now has a moratorium barring new monuments in the park. as of november 2011 this impressive statue of general lee still stands.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo

    ferry hill plantation

    by doug48 Updated Nov 17, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    ferry hill
    2 more images

    ferry hill plantation was established by john blackford (1771-1839). blackford owned a 700 acre plantation and a ferry service across the potomac from maryland to virginia. he is best known for his journal about daily life on the plantation. blackford built ferry place plantation house in 1812. blackford died in 1839 and his son franklin took over the operation of the plantation and ferry. in 1848 franklin blackford sold the plantation to his brother-in-law robert douglas. the ferry operation ceased in the 1850's due to the construction of the james rumsey bridge. due to the plantation's location on the potomac both confederate and union armies occupied the property. during the battle of antietam ferry hill served as both a confederate field headquarters and hospital. robert douglas died in 1867 and ferry hill passed on to his son henry kyd douglas. henry kyd douglas was on general thomas jackson's staff and is most famous for his civil war memoir "i rode with stonewall". after the civil war ferry hill ceased to be an active farm and in 1974 was acquired by the national park service. ferry hill is worth a stop when traveling between sharpsburg and shepardstown on RT 34.
    ferry hill is located on the east bank of the potomac river 4 miles west of sharpsburg on RT 34.

    Related to:
    • National/State Park
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Toughluck's Profile Photo

    Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Nat'l Historical Park

    by Toughluck Written Feb 8, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Cushwa Basin (Williamsport)
    2 more images

    Running 182.5 miles (292 km) along the Potomac River from Alexandria, Maryland to Cumberland, Maryland is the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park. The park includes miles of trails, bird watching and many historical sites. The Williamsport Visitor Center (Cushwa Basin) is located 15 miles to the west in Williamsport (Mile 100). The Brunswick Visitor Center is located 35 miles to the east in Brunswick (Mile 55). For more information, see my C&O Canal page.

    C&O Canal NHP Headquarters
    1850 Dual Highway, Suite 100
    Hagerstown, MD 21740-6620

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • Toughluck's Profile Photo

    Results of War (Antietam Nat'l Cemetery)

    by Toughluck Updated Feb 7, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    'Private Soldier
    2 more images

    Here lie the mortal remains of 4,776 Union Soldiers. 1,836 of these individuals have identities known only to God. National Cemeteries developed during the Civil War. After major battles, the dead might be buried where they fell immediately after the battle for health reasons. Shortly afterwards, the U.S. Sanitary Commission would arrive and develop a 'National Cemetery' on the site of the battle. The union dead would be reinterred in the new cemeteries.

    The Confederate dead are not buried here after many battles where the Confederate Army pulled back, their dead were buried where they fell by the local populace. A battlefield in the south, where the locals had southern sympathies, 'Confederate Cemeteries' were often established.

    Click here for information on the casualties at Battle of Antietam.
    For more information on the

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

    Gathland State Park

    by PinkFloydActuary Written May 24, 2006
    War Correspondents Memorial

    This small state park is about 30 minutes southeast of Antietam. There are a few civil war placards here, but it's most famous for the War Correspondents Memorial - a huge arch erected in memory of those who covered the war. The monument is pretty striking.

    We went through the park since it was on our way. Although the arch is an impressive site, I'm not sure if a side trip for this alone is worth it. If you are in the neighborhood, definitely make the stop.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Antietam

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

98 travelers online now

Comments

Antietam Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Antietam off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Antietam sightseeing.

View all Antietam hotels