Related Baltimore Favorites Tips

• Inner Harbor / Downtown

Most Viewed Favorites in Baltimore

Carlin's Ice Rink

by grandmaR Updated Aug 6, 2011

Favorite thing: When we were little, my mother used to take us to Carlin's to go ice skating. I didn't know it at the time of course, but Carlin’s Park was founded by John Jacob Carlin in 1919 as Liberty Heights Park on 70 acres that had originally been part of the Gittings Estate at Ashburton

It included a large swimming pool, a roller rink and an ice rink where the Baltimore Orioles, a semi-pro team in the Eastern Hockey League, played. The ice rink was one of the first places Sonja Henie skated in ice shows before becoming famous. Owner John J. Carlin died in May 1954 and in 1956 a fire destroyed the ice skating arena.

Fondest memory: My mother wanted some family activity that would get my dad some exercise, so we all joined the Ice Club of Baltimore and regularly ice skated at Carlin's. My sister and I practiced the "figures" and did some of the more elementary ice dances and even learned some little jumps and a spin. I remember doing some of the ice dances with a very old man who also went to the roller rink and skated there (this was WAY before in-line skates).

My mother made our costumes, and the one pictured was reversible - one side was blue and one side was red. We wore danskin tights. If you had looked in the back of my hat, you would have seen a scarf folded up in it so that if I fell, my head would be cushioned. Not only that, but my mother sewed the pompoms on the hats in different places. Mine were on the side because I had a narrow face and my sister who had a round face had hers on top

We moved to Towson in 1950 and I don't think we went skating after that

But then when we lived in RI where ice skating was available (like it hadn't been in Key West when we lived there), the older two girls and I joined the ice club in Providence and we all went skating. They did the figures, and the jumps and spins and dances that I had done 25 years before. And I made some of their outfits

• Skiing and Boarding

Roland Park

by grandmaR Updated Aug 6, 2011

Favorite thing: When we lived in Roland Park, we were in a neighborhood that was walkable, but also had public transportation. The trolley ran down the middle of Roland Avenue. It went all the way to Lake Roland at the north end, and I remember taking a field trip from school on the trolley to the lake.

When University Boulevard split off of Roland Avenue, if we wanted to go downtown, we would transfer to the trackless trolley at the water tower. The Italianate octagonal Roland Water Tower was built by the City of Baltimore in 1904-05. The area where the water tower stands is now a Historic District.

We could walk to our school going down an alley and across in front of a small block of stores. A branch of the Enoch Pratt library was right across the street. If we got up early enough, we could walk to Sunday School, although usually our parents drove us there, and we just walked home.

Fondest memory: When I went back to Baltimore in July 2007 to do the closing on my mother's house, I drove through Roland Park on my way home. I took some pictures of our old school which looked pretty much the same (although bigger). I drove up our street and took pictures of our old house.

I took a picture of the library which had a bunch of construction in front of it (photo 3). Apparently it was enlarged and the newly refurbished library opened there in 2008

I took a picture of the stores that I used to walk across in front of to school (or run if I was late). In those days it was an A&P grocery store, a Graul's grocery store, and the store where I used to buy Turkish taffy with the money I was supposed to use for lunch. Now there's a big Starbucks and Eddies grocery store.

• Architecture

Original Farm House - Roland Park

by grandmaR Updated Aug 2, 2011

Favorite thing: When it came time for me to go to school, my parents moved from an apartment to a house in Roland Park which is an old established neighborhood in Baltimore. Roland Park was the first planned "suburban" community in North America and it was developed between 1890 and 1920 as an upper-class suburb. The early phases of the neighborhood were designed by Edward Bouton and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. A street car line connected it to the city. This line was still in operation on Roland Avenue when we lived there.

I think my parents moved here so I could go to Roland Park Elementary/Middle School, a K-8 school, which has earned the Blue Ribbon for Academic Excellence from the state department of education.

Since my dad was an assistant professor with a small salary, they couldn't afford a big house, and we ended up with the original farm house in the district on the fifty cent side of Roland Avenue. (The other side with the big homes designed by Olmsted was the "dollar side").

When we sold my mom's house after she died, I went back and took a photo of our old house. When we lived there it had brown shingles, red shutters and a white picket fence. My mother put window boxes on the upstairs windows which were to keep us (me) from climbing out onto the roof as my mother thought that would be dangerous. It didn't work.

Fondest memory: The house had a porch around the front and part of the side. The front door led into what was originally the front parlor. My father used this room as his study. The next room right behind it was our living room and dining room (photo 3 which shows me and my mother's desk with a bust of me as a child, and a photo of my grandmother over it). Back of that was the big farm kitchen. Behind that was the pantry and woodshed. Upstairs there was a front room, a side room and a back room and an indoor bathroom had been sectioned off of the back room. In the basement was the furnace which burned coal. There was a one car garage which was too small even for a 1948 car.

The street we lived on (St. Johns Rd.) was very narrow (photo 5). People could not park on both sides or no one could drive through. This meant that we were pretty much safe to bike or roller skate or play in the street without fear of traffic

We lived here from sometime during WWII until 1950 when we moved to Towson

Now, the shingles have been painted grey, the shutters are white, and the picket fence is gone (photo 2). But the street is still narrow and shady (photo 4)

• Architecture

Tulips at Sherwood

by grandmaR Updated Oct 23, 2010

Favorite thing: At Sherwood Gardens, approximately 80,000 tulip bulbs are planted annually along with other spring flowering bulbs. Sherwood who planned the gardens often ordered the bulbs he used from the Netherlands. It is now the most famous tulip garden in North America.

Also dogwoods, flowering cherries, wisteria and magnolias bloom throughout the garden.

Fondest memory: We used to make a visit to Sherwood Gardens each spring around the end of April or in May to look at the new tulips. This was before Mr. Sherwood died in 1965.

• Eco-Tourism

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Baltimore City Hall

by Ewingjr98 Written Aug 2, 2009

Favorite thing: City Hall houses the offices of Baltimore's mayor and city council. The cornersgtone of this fine building was laid in 1867, and it was completed in 1875. The interior of the building was renovated in the 1970s, and money was approved for exterior renovations in 2009.

City Hall is surrounded by Lexington Street on the North, Guilford Avenue on the West, Fayette Street on the South and War Memorial Plaza to the East

Natty Boh

by grandmaR Updated Jul 6, 2007

Favorite thing: Natty Boh is the nickname for National Bohemian - beer brand which was first brewed in 1885 by the National Brewing Company (whose other brands were National Premium and Colt 45) in Baltimore. Their slogan "The Land of Pleasant Living" referred to the Chesapeake Bay.

For a time, National's head Jerry Hoffberger also owned the Baltimore Orioles; Natty Boh was served at Memorial Stadium and became the "official" beer of Baltimore in the late 1960s

The company's mascot, the one-eyed, handlebar-mustachioed Mr. Boh, has been a recognizable icon since the 1950s. He is still a highly popular, especially in Baltimore, where it is considered an unofficial city mascot.

Even though the beer is now brewed in by Miller Brewing in North Carolina and distributed by Pabst, Mr. Boh still appears on all cans, bottles, and packaging; and merchandise featuring him can still easily be found in shops all over Maryland.

Fondest memory: Every time we go through the I-895 Tunnel, I see the Mr. Boh neon sign which currently sits atop the former site of the National Brewery building in Canton, Baltimore. The former brewery is now known as Natty Boh Towers and is rented out as apartments and offices.

• Business Travel

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

The Charles - The Best Movie Theater in Baltimore

by littlesam1 Written Jun 29, 2007

Favorite thing: There are two well know historic movie theaters in Baltimore, The Senator and The Charles. The Senator is the home to many movie premere's in Baltimore. John Waters premeres his movies at The Senator. Its a big classical theater from the 1930-1940's completely restored. In spite of all of his I consider The Charles to be Baltimores best movie theater. Its historically old also, although not as renovated as The Senator. But The Charles offers more than just the latest Hollywood blockbuster. The Charles shows many foreign films, art films, and also has an ongoing classic movie showing three times a week. There is a wonderful Tapas bar connected to The Charles where you can have a glass of wine before going to the movies. And there is a resident cat living in the lobby. All in all Baltimore's best movie theater.

For more information check out the link below

Jason Varitek

by sarams Written Apr 29, 2007

Favorite thing: The Team Captain, Jason Varitek is the Catcher. Even though he has struggled a bit offensively of late, he is invaluable playing his position in the field. He is renowned for his ability to work with Pitchers and get the most effective performances from them.

On April 22, 2007 in a game against the New York Yankees, Varitek hit the final of four consecutive Home Runs for the Red Sox, tying a Major League Baseball record.

Coco Crisp

by sarams Written Apr 29, 2007

Favorite thing: The regular starting Center Fielder for the Red Sox is Coco Crisp. For those who are wondering, Coco is just a nickname; his actual first name is Covelli. His father, Loyce, was a boxer nicknamed (interestingly enough) Sugar Crisp.

Crisp was injured and did not play in this game. That turned out to be a good thing for the Red Sox, since his replacement had the game-winning hit.

Wily Mo Pena

by sarams Written Apr 29, 2007

Favorite thing: I got to get these pictures of backup outfielder Wily Mo Pena during batting practice. He is quite young, but has shown quite a bit of promise as a hitter. His batting practice payed off this day, as he had a double and a game-winning Grand Slam.

Manny Ramirez

by sarams Written Apr 29, 2007

Favorite thing: Manny Ramirez is a great hitter for the Red Sox, so I welcomed the opportunity to take some photos of him. He has more than 100 RBIs for the past five seasons for the Red Sox. For several years, he has been the subject of trade rumors, but he is still a member of the Red Sox today.

• sarams's Profile Photo

Clapping hands at the end of the game

by sarams Written Apr 29, 2007

Fondest memory: When the game is over, the team that wins lines up on the field and they all give each other high fives. Wily Mo Pena won this game for the Red Sox with a grand slam, giving the players the opportunity to give their high fives.

• Adventure Travel

BALTIMORE NEIGHBOURHOODS

by LoriPori Written Sep 26, 2006

Favorite thing: Baltimore is blessed with many and diverse NEIGHBOURHOODS.

INNER HARBOUR
    Baltimore's most popular maritime neighbourhood. Take in the National Aquarium, take a stroll along the waterfront. check out the shops and restaurants in Harbourplace, take a water taxi, tour the Baltimore Maritime Museum & board the Chesapeake and the U.S.S. Consteallation.

CANTON
    Founded more than 200 years ago by Captain John O'Donnell who sailed into Baltimore from China and named his plantation after the Chinese port that had brought him much wealth. Canton is home to Polish churches and numerous shops, lively bars and acclaimed restaurants.

FEDERAL HILL
    A trip to Federal Hill isn't complete without a visit to Cross Street Market, he block-long enclosed marketplace. Check out the view from the park at the top of Federal Hill.

FELLS POINT
    This maritime community was settled in 1730 by William Fell, a Quaker shipbuilder from Lancaster, England. Today the 14 block area is one of the few remaining downtown waterfront communities on the East Coast. There is an abundance of ethnic restaurants and cozy pubs.

LITTLE ITALY
    Just 12 blocks total, yet Little Italy has an abundance of charm and a sizeable number of trattorias. So if you're in the mood for "Italian" it's worth the pilgrammage to the harbourfront's southeast corner to get your teeth into a bowl of fettucine, a plate of lasagna or a delectable slice of tiramisu. YUM!

MOUNT VERNON
    Walking, is the best way to explore this majestic neighbourhood, the cultural center of Baltimore. The highlights of a visit here are the Walters Art Museum, the Enoch Pratt Free Library and the Washington Monument.

BROMO- SELTZER TOWER

by LoriPori Updated Sep 26, 2006

Favorite thing: The clock tower above Orioles Stadium is the BROMO- SELTZER TOWER. The inventor of Bromo-Seltzer, Captain Isaac Emerson had this tower built at 312 -318 West Lombard St. and South Paca St. next to his factory which obviously no longer exists. Modelled after the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy, the Bromo-Seltzer Tower has been a Baltimore landmark since 1911.
    The Tower is not accessible to the public.

MOUNT VERNON PLACE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

by LoriPori Updated Sep 25, 2006

Favorite thing: Located on the north east corner of the Washington Monument, at 10 East Mount Vernon Place, the MOUNT VERNON PLACE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH is a rarity in Baltimore architecture as it is a Gothic building. The high peaked roof soars above the nave, resting on ten granite columns. The unique exterior of the building is due to its walls of green serpentine, grey stone and sandstone. I was completely in awe of this structure, which was completed on November 12, 1872. It is so overwhelmingly beautiful. Too bad it was closed when we were there. I would have loved to see the interior. On the door was a posting which read. "Tours are conducted from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday." -- and we were there on a Saturday. Sighhhh!

Baltimore Hotels

Hyatt Regency Baltimore
Holiday Inn Inner Harbor
Hotel Monaco Baltimore - a Kimpton Hotel

Instant Answers: Baltimore

Comments

Baltimore Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Baltimore locals.
Map of Baltimore