The 'Hons' of Baltimore, Baltimore

by Jabberjenn
  • HON !

by Jabberjenn Updated Jul 9, 2004

Baltimore

Many Baltimoreans will call you "hon". Don't get offended....it's not meant to be an insult or degrading to women (and men). It's just a Baltimore thing. We call everybody "hon", whether we know your name or not.

There's even a place called Cafe Hon, where you can grab a great meal and check out some local "hons".

Cafe Hon even has a "hon" festival, where you can come dressed in your best "hon" gear, as pictured. (I do not know these beautiful hons, but this is an example of the Baltimore spirit!)

Baltimoreans love tourists and locals alike....so when we call you "hon", understand that it is our way of being friendly!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Its a blue collar city Hon

by littlesam1 Written Jun 4, 2004

Click onthe picture to enlarge

Baltimore is definately a blue collar city. This is what makes it different so interesting. Stick with the local restaurants in Fells Point and other parts of town and stay away from the chain restaurants. You will definately get a good feel for the city this way. Don't be surprised if your waitress calls you "Hon". Everyone in Baltimore is a "hon". Recently a waitress at a restaurant in Fell's Point left her pen on the table for me to sign my credit card. I think the inscription on the pen tells the story. Baltimore is a great blue collar city.

• feline01's Profile Photo

The first time someone said...

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

The first time someone said 'hon' to me, I wondered what was up with this place. Then I was informed that it was just a local thing, women call men and women 'hon.' You'll notice it alot in restaurants. I find it very cute. Lot better than what they call each other in New Jersey and New York :-)

Instant Answers: Baltimore