Petit Louis, Baltimore

4800 Roland Ave., Baltimore MD 410-366-9393

Petit Louis
    by gnunez311
  • Marymarypod's Profile Photo

Petit Louis: French Bistro: Can you hear me now?

by Marymarypod Written Nov 25, 2006

Petit Louis has the look and feel of a French bistro magically transported to a bourguois Baltimore "quartier."
    Excellent Franco-American food.
    The only problem is that French bistros were not designed for Americans to talk (yell) in them- this place is incredibly loud when packed, and the acoustics are bad - so you can hardly hear the person across the table from you at times.

Favorite Dish: The french fries are some of the best I've ever had.
    And any fish special is going to be delicious.

• bliss7's Profile Photo

Petit Louis French Bistro: Bon appetit!

by bliss7 Updated Nov 20, 2005

Wow - what an amazing restaurant! This bistro has a very authentic looking French decor, and the food is just delicious! I went on the first day of the Beaujolais Nouveau Festival, which celebrates this fresh Burgundy wine. It is a wine not meant to be aged, but to be drunk as soon as possible, and as much as possible! It is not particularly strong, it reminded me a bit of sangría, strengthwise.

I enjoyed the full course prix fixe menu, which began with a delicious creamy leek bisque. Wow! Then came a great salad with Rosette de Lyon sausage, which seemed to me like a delicious French version of pepperoni, with chevre cheese. The chicken fricasse entree that followed was probably the best chicken I've ever had in my life. Sooo moist and tasty, cooked in beaujolais and shallot cream, with champignon mushrooms! A beaujolais soaked pear and vanilla ice cream dessert topped off an excellent meal!

Our service was excellent! The owner (?), Peter, was a walking wine guide, who was happy to explain the Beaujolais Noveau festival and go into the finer details of Burgundy wines. The waitress, I forget her name, but she was perfect. I lived in Baltimore for 4 years, and this is the best restaurant I've been to in the city.
    This prix fixe menu, which includes a bottle of the Beaujolais Noveau, cost $58.

Favorite Dish: The chicken. I don't know how they do it, but they make it to perfection, It was so tasty and prerfectly moist. It was cooked in beaujolais wine and shallot cream, accompanied by champignon mushrooms.

• Wine Tasting

• Petit Louis: There must have been a change at this Restaurant!

by amarker Written Oct 13, 2005

I don't like to bash, especially since I know how hard the restaurant business has become, but the best thing about Petit Louis was not the food but the service. We tried the specials, one of which was sold out and the standards. The four of us thought this place was o.k., but we would not return. The best rating went to the steak/frites, which turned out to be a sirloin instead of the typical hanger steak. The calamari appetizer was not edible but no comment was made when it as well as the sand-filled scallops were sent back unfinished. Both the Calamari and the frites were oversalted.

The mussels appetizer was overdone with more than 50% of the little critters out of their shells floating at the bottom of the bowl. Bread is served, but it lacked such character that we found it useful only for sopping the delicious sauce with the mussels. At 25.00 a whole rockfish was dry, likely overcooked, and tasteless to our palates. One of the cutest touches was the ice cream [gelato?] desert, which came in a frozen dish, suggesting the entire dish had been pre-scooped and placed into the freezer until needed. While chilled platters are reasonable for this type of frozen desert, it took us at least fifteen minutes to finish these rock hard largely tasteless boulles. This, of course, gave us extra time to unanimously determine that the chocolate mousse was excellent pudding, served small and without flourish. At $250. for 4, including wine [$55.00], taxes and tip, we all felt our time and money could have been more prudently spent. As we tried this place based upon the above reviews, we felt compelled to compose the above and have done our best not to exaggerate to contrast the "cinq etoiles" others have experienced. Something must have changed.

Favorite Dish: The frites with about 1/2 the salt they used would have been great.

• jlee008's Profile Photo

Petit Louis: Enjoy the Fresh and Exquisitely Prepared Food!!!

by jlee008 Updated Oct 23, 2004

Petit Louis is perfect for a night of French ambience. Step through its doors and you will be transported into a French gastronomic paradise. The restaurant is decorated in impeccable Parisian style. It is cozy and intimate without the feeling of being smothered. The service is exceptional with a pleasant and relaxed feel. Certainly, it is uncommon and exceptional all around.

In addition to their tasty dishes, they have an exceptional wine bar. The maitre d' , Marc (with his splendid Beaujelais French accent) will woo you with the delicious varieties of wine that are offered on the Petit Louis wine list.

I love to stop by and just have some wine later into the night about 10pm on a Friday or Saturday night. Dinner is winding down and the atmosphere is so casual. It is nice to just sit by the window in the low lit atmosphere and enjoy the taste of my glass of wine on my palate...

Favorite Dish: Try a little bit of everything, try a lot of everything...whatever your mood. I like something light. Start off with a salade d’ haricots-verts, follow with their St. Jacques Poellees (sauteed sea scallops) and a side of epinards a l’ail. Top it off with their glaces maison or anything else delectable that you should choose off their dessert menu. And having dinner with wine is a necessity!!

However, do go again and again, as their menu changes regularly. You never know what you might find, but whatever it is, their goal is that it is fresh and tasty!!

Instant Answers: Baltimore