The Helmand, Baltimore

by Fun4you
  • makiro's Profile Photo

The Helmand: Reserve for great Afghan cuisine

by makiro Written Jul 28, 2006

Let me start by saying I really do love the food here. And for vegetarians (not vegans) you can get many of the meat dishes prepared for vegetarians...very nice. For those of you wondering what Afghan food is like, to me its sort of like Indian food, but less greasy...that's just my quick explanation :) This restaurant is very crowded almost any day for dinner. Make a reservation early. I've arrived early without a reservation and they will tell me, you can eat, but you have to be done in an hour.

Ok, this restaurant is often voted best restaurant in Baltimore...but I'm always surprised how uninteresting the inside of the place is. I've thought about becoming a consultant for restaurants, help them see the place as their potential customers do...anyway, i just think for such a quality restaurant the ambiance could use a redo....for now, some costumes tacked to the wall will have to do....also, some of the seating is odd, but again I pay attention to those things. Maybe I'll write more about my restaurant hall of shame some time :)

Favorite Dish: Definitely try some appetizers...I love the panfried pumpkin with garlic yogurt. My two favorite vegetarian dishes are Afghan ravioli filled with leeks and served on yogurt-mint and the mantwo: homemade pastry shells filled with onions and potato. Served on yogurt and topped with carrots, yellow split peas. Save room for the afghan icecream (with dates, dried figs and fresh mango)

• Gay and Lesbian

• Fun4you's Profile Photo

The Helmand: The Helmand

by Fun4you Written Mar 30, 2006

The Helmand serves fine Afghan cuisine with unique and exotic dishes. There is a wide range of choices from vegetarian entrees to lamb, beef and chicken kabobs. Every time I have been in the restaurant and bar are packed with may happy patrons.

• The Helmand: Pleasures from Afghanistan

by eltigre Written Jan 15, 2003

This restaurant has as many non-meat dishes as meat-dishes which are all a pleasure to taste, in combination with their nice selection of wines. There staff is friendly and fast and will create the perfect dinner experience.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

The Helmand

by frankcanfly Updated Feb 15, 2006

Definately the head of the class when it comes to local Afghan Restaurants!

Favorite Dish: Try some charbroiled lamb tenderloin, or pan fried baby pumpkins.

Instant Answers: Baltimore

Comments

Hotels Near The Helmand
4.0 out of 5 stars