Baltimore Warnings and Dangers

Snow1964
    Thunderstorm Clouds over BWI in 2011

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Baltimore

• OnMyOwnPath's Profile Photo

Baltimore is not regarded as...

by OnMyOwnPath Written Sep 7, 2002

Baltimore is not regarded as being the safest city to be in, especially at night. The stadium area is generally safe, but outside of that, pay attention to your surroundings. It's generally a high-crime and drug use city.

• Baltimore rocks

by aleka333 Updated Dec 2, 2005

As long as you're not foolish, flashing nice jewelry & cash every few minutes, you'll be fine. It's a nice city. I lived there for many years & have wandered both the nice & not so nice areas during my youth. sure there are some homeless, but that's true of any city center.

an example of inner city paranoia versus reality - we parked my in-laws' Mercedes on the street in a 'seedier' section, with prostitutes & junkies, because a friend lived there and we were meeting him. We proceeded to walk down toward the power plant area for dinner & nightlife - then walked back to the ghetto very late & sure, we saw a few people.. i won't judge them based on what they look like, but they left us alone and we left them alone..

However, when we parked the Mercedes in a more yuppie college-kid area of Canton, right near Nacho Mama's (excellent mex. food btw)... that is where some drunk frat jerk kicked in the side of our passenger side door. Who knew! I'll take the courtesy of the ghetto over spoiled drunk yuppies anytime.

enjoy yourselves & just be alert to your surroundings & respectful to many kinds of people you find in a city environment.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

Behave ...or ELSE.... : o ]

by Greggor58 Updated Oct 31, 2007

Security at BWI....

It was easy to see that security was ever present around the airport....a good thing..but HOW competent is it.....while I was killing some time before my flight I was hanging around outside watching the light Rail train arrive...I was chatting with a guy that worked at the airport and he was telling me that he had his car stolen from a "secure" parking area for empoyees of the airport.He told me that they check the cars at the entrance to the parking lots but NOT on theyre way out....so someone jacked his car and drove it straight through the parking lot gate....hmmmm...sounds a little hokee but this is what he told me...

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

As always, beware the crime!

by HotSpotJ Updated Aug 5, 2005

B-More in a Blur

Good places are usually peppered with the flavoring of bad people, and Baltimore is no exception. While there is a very fun time to be had here, walking past (North of) East Baltimore Street in the wee hours of the morning is not a good idea, especially alone. And it might be a good idea to keep your wallet or cash in your front pocket in the crowds at Power Plant live and other places; I make this a habit at any crowded venue.

• Baltimore is typical of...

by craftsman Written Sep 8, 2002

Baltimore is typical of America's larger cities. There are safe areas, the not so safe areas, and the dangerous areas. The major touristy areas are always safe. The dangerous areas are usually pretty obvious to people with some street smarts. For those without street smarts, just follow this simple rule - if you can't buy souviners, your not in a very safe part of town.

Service is not one of Baltimore's strong points. In fact, I would have to say that it is down right poor. Its not to say that I didn't receive some good service but good service was the exception and not the rule.

• drmorf's Profile Photo

If you walk south on Light...

by drmorf Written Aug 26, 2002

If you walk south on Light Street from the Inner Harbor, beware of this building. Notice the birds have their butts hanging out, ready to drop a fresh one on you!
    Who was the brain behind this design?

• Stay away from public transit!

by PLE1981 Written Apr 23, 2008

If a mob of thugs decides to assault you for no reason, breaking bones in your face in the process, they will be let off with a bit of community service.

After this slap on the wrist, they will probably sue you.

This story is, sadly, the most accurate representation of Baltimore I could ever provide.

• Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

Night in Baltimore

by Alpha_Ghana Updated May 3, 2007

Baltimore at night is very dangerous.
    We wanted to spend a Saturday night around the Inner harbor where there are so many nightspots.
    You see police and armed security everywhere. Eventhough, you don't feel safe.
    As the clubs were full in the area, we went to Charles Street where some clubs are also close to each others. As we just parked the car and wanted to enter the night club, we saw a rush of people going out, police arriving.
    Someone told us that a guy shot another and he was dead. She said that like it was very usual for her to witness such an event.
    Of course, the place was closed by police and we had to move. We came bac to Inner harbour. It was 2AM, time for bars and nightclubs to close. The police could not control all these people fighting in the streets. We could see hundreds of people fighting, breaking, etc. Lots of them high from I don't know which drug.
    On the motorway, there were lots of cars. Again, some people did not finish their fight and they were shooting at themselves from the cars.
    Well, Baltimore is not a place to be at night, or go with an inhabitant who knows where to go and where not to go.

This is a comment I received on Baltimore:
    mattman5170 Tue May 1, 2007 16:47 WAT
    This post is total crap. I have never in my life witnessed anyone shooting at other poeple or fighting in any decent, wothwhile area Downtown. I go to Baltimore frequently. The City is full of amazing restaurants, bars, clubs, and sights.
    UNQUOTE
    Well, It is a question of opinion. I am not a frequent user of Baltimore but each time I went there I witnessed fights and problems. It is my right to express my opinion, whatever it is.
    Remember that with Detroit and Miami, Baltimore has the top three criminal record of USA.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Hangovers

by Ewingjr98 Updated Mar 28, 2005

Poor Laura....

Hangovers seem to be a very common problem in Baltimore. All 6 of us who spent the night there woke up with pounding headaches and upset stomachs. It must have been something in the water (or something in the beer or tequila, maybe?).

According to the website below, we could have prevented our hangovers by eating almonds, bifidus powder, peanut butter, or primrose oil. Mmmmmm... that would make a tasty milkshake.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• Fun4you's Profile Photo

Good and Bad

by Fun4you Written Mar 30, 2006

Be very careful when driving and walking around Baltimore. The city has undergone much development and rehabilitation. However, there are good neighborhoods right next to bad and you often go from one to the other very quickly. Get good directions and don't venture out to unknown areas at night by yourself!

• Baltimore has a bad reputation...

by TerryP Updated Aug 24, 2002

Baltimore has a bad reputation for crime right now but its not that dangerous. As in any city, just be aware of your surroundings. In the city, stay mostly in tourist areas. You can be in a safe location and walk one block over and be in an unsafe neighborhood. It's like that throughout the city. If you think there is a place you would like to visit ask someone about the area.

• Since I live here. I try to...

by Brinkley Written Aug 24, 2002

Since I live here. I try to carry as little cash on me as possible. Muggings are common place in the city. During the day it's not to bad if your alone. If you get lost the safest way to ask for directors is from a mailman, policeman, a store clerk. Not that everybody is bad, but just a precaution. And as in most other place try not to look like a tourist

• oct251997's Profile Photo

Do not walk barefooted on the...

by oct251997 Written Aug 24, 2002

Do not walk barefooted on the sidewalks downtown. The homeless urinate wherever they feel like it, including the sidewalks and sides of buildings. If a 'supposed' homeless person asks for money, don't be taken in by them. Most are not homeless, nor lacking of money. There is better income pretending than doing a HONEST day's work via employment. Most of the 'supposed' homeless are homeless and unemployed of their own choosing; 9 out of 10 only want money for their addictions and not for food or bus fare as they claim.

• General Tips

by pirateposy Written Mar 20, 2011

I'm a college student living, working, and studying in Baltimore. Even as a young, white woman, I've had very few problems. I work near the train station and sometimes don't get off work until 2am. I have never, ever been bothered on my walk home. Granted, Mount Vernon is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Baltimore. I used to be bothered by men when I worked in the harbor during the summer, but they were harmless. I just kept walking, kept my answers short, and they eventually went away.
    Generally, If you don't give people a reason to bother you, they won't.
    Also, you'll know if you're in a bad neighborhood. You'll just KNOW. If you find yourself in a neighborhood like that, you'd better ask yourself why the hell you're there.

In all, Baltimore is an OK city. There are plenty of bars and plenty of things to do.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Craziness after dark

by staindesign Written Aug 11, 2013

Walking back to are car from Little Italy to the Inner Harbor (4 blocks) we noticed LOTS of police. Not just cars patrolling, but helicopters shining a spot light down too. Apparently, the tourist areas flood with teens at dusk. We happen to be walking by police breaking up a fight where 25 or so kids were hanging out. It didn't feel dangerous since all the police are around. It just seemed like an annoyance for the city bc they don't need to be in the area bc the mall and most shops are closed.

Instant Answers: Baltimore

Comments

Baltimore Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Baltimore warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baltimore sightseeing.