Bethesda Restaurants

• alycat's Profile Photo

Lebanese Taverna: Authentic Lebanese

by alycat Updated Mar 14, 2013
    The bling

Lebanese Taverna is a family owned enterprise and has many branches around the DC metro area. Apart from formal restaurants like this one in downtown Bethesda, they also have cafes which are quick service and fast paced.

It was Sunday evening and since my wife was out of town because of work, I didn't have anyone for company, so I sauntered in aimlessly hoping to catch a quite place in a corner, but I ended up in a really nice upmarket restaurant having dinner near the window with an awesome view of the lively street. They have a bar when you enter the place. The hostess, Rebecca, was very warm and helpful, and Mohammed my waiter was very informative and fast with his service.

I ended up having a nice meal and great conversation with Rebecca about Brazil and its culture (she was Brazilian). She was kind enough to find out the authenticity of the halal meat voluntarily and after a conversation I guess with her purchase manager came back to tell me that they get their lamb from Australia and it is halal for some reason! Well...that suits me just fine and I see myself coming back here again as the food and staff are awesome.

PS: The vendor for meat might change any time, so if you are particular about halal meat, ask before you order.

Favorite Dish: As most middle eastern restaurants here dont serve halal meat, I figured I would try a new vegetarian Lebanese dish as a first timer to the restaurant. Surprisingly, my waiter Mohammed told me that they have a dish that has halal meat and as is my wont I ended up having it.

The braised lamb and lamb filled grape leaves, yogurt salad, spiced rice, is what I got and it did not disappoint me. The meat was nicely cooked, soft and juicy with just the right amount of spice for an Indian palate!

Highly recommended and this dish was gluten-free.

Update: So I visited this restaurant again and this time had Ouzi with grape leaves along with the chef's platter, which has a sampling of hommos, baba ghanoush, tabouleh, lebneh, grape leaf, falafel, fatayer spinach, shakshouky, foole m’damas. This complete vegetarian dish is like an interesting mix of various dips. It can't be just had on its own, but needs bread to finish off all the ingredients on the platter, which seemed more like a south Indian vegetarian platter which has at least 6-7 veggies in small amounts.

• alycat's Profile Photo

Saveur India: Haleem and all that's Indian!

by alycat Updated Feb 19, 2013
    Whats for lunch?

Located in downtown Bethesda, this is a small family run restaurant that is hardly visible among the other shops. It is a small place which is neat and bright, feels like it has lots of open space because of street facing windows.

There are no waiters or waitresses so be prepared to wait or look out for the owner if you need anything. I do takeaways and lunch here often. It is managed by a family who are from my hometown Hyderabad, back in India.

Favorite Dish: They have reasonably priced lunch specials and the chicken biryani is very good. Shahi qorma is another good dish to have with naan.

They also make haleem, a Hyderabadi speciality, which is made of grinded meat. It is not on the menu and has to be pre-ordered a day in advance. Try that and all meat served here is halal.

Restaurants In Bethesda: If You Can't Decide What You Want To Eat

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Woodmont Ave, Bethesda

There are many many restaurants in Bethesda, especially since the opening of the Red Line Metro stop. You have your choice of cuisines from many different parts of the world.

Check the website below and make you choice.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Dave & Buster's: OK Food - Fun Games!

by TravellerMel Written Jun 15, 2010

OK, I don't think anyone really comes here for the food... We came to watch the Stanley Cup Finals and have a little nosh. Afterwards, we went into the Midway, where my boyfriend proceeded to beat me senseless in skeeball... We had fun anyway. On a Wednesday night, the place was hopping, but not overly crowded. They must have done away with the kids curfew, because there were lots of them around - D&B used to be an adults-only hangout, but I guess, no more!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Honey Mustard Spinach Salad: sliced, grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, spinach and salad greens, tossed with candied pecans, crispy bacon, onions and I switched out the dressing for Raspberry Vinaigrette - yummy, and the perfect size (I left full, but not stuffed). I like that they post the calorie content on the menu to help make a more healthful choice.

Tastee Diner of Bethesda: Real Old Fashioned Diner Breakfast Served Here

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Sep 30, 2006

Practically everyone in Northwest Washington and it's surburbs of Chevy Chase and Bethesda know this authentic diner. It wouldn't be unusual to see a well known face in here eating breakfast. When it comes to diners this is the real thing. In some ways it can be compared to the coffee shops of NY, but yet it has an identity quite its own. Even the cooks and the waitresses and waiters are unique.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast is the best here. Eggs, corned beef has or bacon, hashbrown, toast, coffee, juice. Delicious.

Burgers are good too.

Just Cakes: Cakes, Yum Yum

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 24, 2006

My favorite dessert is a slice of an old fashioned cake, preferably coconut or chocolate. This bakery makes lots of cakes. I haven't been here, but the next time I go to Bethesda or Chevy Chase you can be sure it will be the first place I go.

Toll free: (888) 862-0588
    Fax toll free: (800) 279-8554

La Miche: Charming Country French

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 24, 2006

This restaurant has been around for 25+ years, long before the redevelopment of Bethesda. It was one of my favorites when I lived in Chevy Chase and Bethesda. I can still remember the lobster with Pernod sauce, although I am sure with new owners and new chefs that is no longer on the menu.

The atmosphere is country French and romantic. There is dining in plein air in good weather, dress can be casual, and you can take your kids.

Handicap friendly, groups and children are welcomed.

There is valet parking.

Cards: MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Diners Club

Hours: Sun 5:30-8:30p, Tue-Fri 11:30a-2p, Mon-Sat 6-9:45p

• Haandi: Haandi's buffet has the best rice ever

by pottedmeat Written Mar 10, 2006

I go here every Saturday. I think that parking has to be pretty awful if you were to go any time during the week. The area is full of parking garages, so it shouldn't be that hard to find something within walking distance. If you go on Saturday, though, you can park across the road for a "$5 honor system" payment.

It's usually pretty quiet, you're greeted and directed to a table by one of the many friendly Indian guys there. I stop just long enough to take my coat off and head for their buffet.

I skip the salads and sauces (and other little appetizers, none of which interest me) and head strait for the big bowl of rice. They have AMAZING rice. I don't just mean that it's cooked well, I mean that its subtly spiced and even has little spice pods if you aren't careful. What follows are many dishes, almost always a mixture of vegetarian and chicken but if you get lucky, you'll find some lamb. Stables are eggplant, lentils, and spinach. They have some great curries, plus several dishes with yogurt sauces and tomato sauces.

At the end of the buffet is that tandoori chicken and a plate of barbecued chicken. The desserts vary, but I'm rarely able to eat them.

Once I get to my table, I'm greeted with fresh nan bread. The food is pleasant to eat, and you can fill up pretty well without feeling terrible later. The atmosphere is comfortable and the service is incredible. I rarely go a Saturday without visiting

Favorite Dish: A really delicious spinach and farmer's cheese curry.

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo

Pines of Rome: Friendly restaurant

by Minstrelette Written Jul 2, 2005

Pines of Rome- Bethesda

This restaurant has been here for as long as I can remember. It's a very casual, laid-back place where service is slow but friendly. With all the trendy, more expensive restaurants in Bethesda, this is a nice alternative.

Favorite Dish: Try the fagioli or white pizza- they are both fantastic.

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Tako Grill Japanese Restaurant

by FreeCloud Written Sep 2, 2002

Tako Grill Japanese Restaurant
    A very popular place. An interesting place to hear conversations in fluent Japanese behind you, and only find out the speakers are all Caucasians.

Favorite Dish: Sashimi and Sushi and other Japanese fare.

• riad's Profile Photo

The Mongolian Barbecue is a...

by riad Written Aug 24, 2002

The Mongolian Barbecue is a great restaurant. The servants over there are soo cool. The food is served in a pretty cool way. It's so fun over there from 7 pm until 11 pm, but after that, it gets pretty calm, so that sucks!!

Favorite Dish: well there's no menu, thats the cool part!! LoL. it's like 'anarchy'!! you take whatever from the buffet, and these cool youngin dude grill it for you!! wohoh

Instant Answers: Bethesda

Comments

Bethesda Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bethesda restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bethesda sightseeing.