Bowie Restaurants

Crab Pie appetizer $8.99
    by grandmaR
  • My crab cake special with stewed tomatoes
    My crab cake special with stewed...
    sign on the highway

Most Recent Restaurants in Bowie

Rips Country Inn - Restaurant: Hotel, Restaurant and Liquor Store

by grandmaR Updated Nov 6, 2011

sign on the highway

Since the Bowie Baysocks stadium has been built, this intersection has really been built up with a lot of various chain restaurants.

But the oldest and non-chain restaurant is on the other side of the highway from most of the chains and a little farther south. [Several years ago, they built another Rips Restaurant down in Waldorf, but that's not the same as Applebees which is just about everywhere. We went to that Rip's once, but we are not in Waldorf very often. It may not even be there anymore.]

Their website says:
    Established in 1947, Rip's has been serving up the best local Maryland cuisine for over 50 years. We proudly serve the best fresh local seafood, hand cut choice steaks, tender prime rib...

This is a popular place and there are often a lot of people waiting to be seated. In addition to Rip's restaurant (which serves breakfast most days and a Sunday Brunch Buffet in addition to the usual lunch and dinner), there is a motel, a campground and a liquor store.

Hours:
    Mon-Thurs 8am-10pm
    Fri-Sat 8am-11pm
    Sunday 9am-10pm

Favorite Dish: The restaurant itself is a long low building with a series of different rooms containing booths or tables. This makes it popular for monthly dinner or lunch meetings. The rooms are set up like a racetrack. On one side is a room with tables and that is called the Paddock. On the other side there are booths which are set up like horse stalls (photo).

We got a muffin and a roll each, plus a dish of butter. Bob got the Maryland Crab soup (pictured - $2.95) which he said was hot (temperature) and spicy, although it looked as if the server had not wiped the cup off after the soup was spooned into it. He also Rip's Meatloaf Deluxe for $10.95 which came with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. He got a box to take half of the meat loaf home.

I got one of the two the specials (The other one was Chicken Cordon Blue for $12.95) which was a crab cake and Cream of Crab Soup plus two sides for $16.95. The crab cake was a lump crab cake. For sides I got stewed tomatoes and beets. I could also have had cole slaw, wild rice, baked potato, sweet potato, fries or applesauce.

We each wanted bread pudding for dessert ($2.95), but we were too full to eat it, so they packaged it up so we could take it home, with the rum sauce on the side (so it wouldn't get soggy) for us to add when we ate it.

We stopped for lunch October 2011, and I had the appetizer crab pie $8.99 and the soup of the day which was chicken corn $3.25. Bob had the soup&sandwich $6.99 - Maryland Crab Soup and a tuna salad sandwich

We met my daughter and son-in-law for dinner and Bob had a half rack of ribs and the rest of us had the crab cake with two sides. I had tomatoes and cream of crab soup. My son-in-law had the crab soup and beets

Tia's Tex-Mex: The South End

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fried ice cream $5.49

This is at the south end on the west side of restaurant row on US 301 in Bowie.

Bob describes this place as 'looking like a junk yard', and they seem to emphasize that type of ambiance. Outside there are sections of tin roof and inside is lots of exposed brick, looking like it is crumbling away. The sprinkler system controls and valves are painted up like a sculpture in one corner.

We ate inside, but there is also outside seating. You can also order take-out and they do catering.

The food is very good, and service reasonably good on the weekday that we were there. We stopped early (just about 5:15), but there are plenty of benches outside if it has gotten crowded and you have to wait.

Favorite Dish: They supply chips and salsa with the drinks so you can eat while waiting for your order. I ordered iced tea. Bob drank water.

Bob had the Ranchero Chicken Chimichanga for $8.79. Before he ordered, he asked what the difference between Ranchero Chicken and Fajita Chicken was, and he was told that Ranchero Chicken was pulled and Fajita Chicken was chunked. He could also have gotten Taco Beef or Steak. The Fajita Chicken and the Steak were $1.20 more

I had the Jack Cheese Chile Rellenos with Spanish rice and beans for $9.29. They were really excellent - crunchy and with a lot of cheese. For an extra $1.30 I could have had the Ranchero Chicken Chile Rellenos.

However I was very disturbed when I saw, after a few bites that there was dried refried bean crust on the side of the plate in a location where I would not have expected it to be. I was concerned that the plates had not been washed completely.

I had a Fried Ice Cream for dessert ($5.49) and it was too much for me to finish.

Our bill before tip was $26.84

On the Border: North Tex Mex

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Chips and Dip

As usual when we go to Baltimore to visit my mom or go to the dentist, we stop on the way back for dinner.

I was thinking of stopping at a Mexican restaurant that had a purple and green sign. That would have been Tia 's Tex-Mex. We have been there once when I mistook it for another Mexican restaurant with a purple and green sign that is in Laurel.

Also along here is Ruby Tuesday, and Chili's Bar & Grill, TGI Friday, Bob Evans, and Tony Roma's, and Rip's is across the street.

In any case, we got to this place and stopped.

Favorite Dish: I had a quesidilla and Bob had his usual taco dinner. Food was good and service was quick and it wasn't too noisy.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Fabian House Cafe: Vegetarian Cuisine in Old Town Bowie

by Tom_Fields Written Jun 7, 2008

The Shops at Fabian House

If you take a pleasant day trip to Bowie, and decide to do lunch, this is the place. That is, if you like vegetarian cuisine. I'm not vegetarian, but this is good. It's wholesome, nutritious, and flavorful enough that I didn't miss having meat.

It's inside an antique store that was once the Joffe General Store. Before and/or after lunch, you may spend a while just browsing here. Never know what may turn up!

Favorite Dish: The sandwiches and salads are very nice.

Chili's Grill & Bar: Middle Tex-Mex

by grandmaR Updated Nov 3, 2006

Margarita pie

This is part of Restaurant Row along US 301 in Bowie.

Chili's started 30 years (1975) ago in Dallas. The staples were burgers, chili, and tacos. Now they have over 1000 stores in 30 countries. For part of the Bowie Chili's menu is depicted in photos 4 and 5.

Favorite Dish: Bob had the most plain of the hamburgers - the Old Time Burger for $8.95 (photo 3). The menu says: "Mouth-watering burger w/mustard, shredded lettuce, tomato, pickle & onion."

I had some Fajita Quesadillas (photo 2) which are marinated fajita steak (or I could have had chicken, but I really don't like Mexican food except when it is beef) w/grilled onions & Jack cheese in buttery toasted tortillas. It was served w/rice, black beans, sour cream & pico de gallo.

I also had a special dessert which I think was a strawberry margarita pie. I was doubtfull about that because I don't drink and I didn't know what a strawberry mararita would taste like. But it was good.

Carrabba's Italian Grille: Italian in Bowie

by grandmaR Updated Oct 20, 2006

Fettichini macaroni special $15.99

We first ate at a Carrabba's in North Myrtle Beach near the Intercoastal, but I hadn't taken any pictures. Since then I've seen Carrabba's in several places (Memphis for instance), but we didn't go back to eat there until just recently on our way back from Baltimore.

Once you are there, the restaurant is cool and dark with booths and tables, and decorated with family pictures and memoriblia (photo 2). We were there quite early for dinner, but at that time the service was very good and quick.

The menu is Italian - Wood-Fired Pizza $8.49

and Pasta Specialties

Pasta Carrabba Fettuccine alfredo tossed with grilled chicken, sautéed mushrooms and peas 12.99

Pasta Weesie Shrimp sautéed in a garlic, lemon butter, white wine sauce with sautéed mushrooms and scallions, served over fettuccine alfredo 13.99

Lobster Ravioli Ravioli stuffed with tender Maine lobster in a white wine cream sauce with diced tomatoes 15.99

RigatoniMartino Rigatoni tossed with grilled chicken, sautéed mushrooms and sundried tomatoes in our tomato cream sauce topped with ricotta salata cheese and scallions 12.99

Tagliarini Fine pasta in a sauce of crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and basil 9.49 Picchi Pacchiu Add chicken or shrimp 12.49/14.49

Mezzaluna Delicate half moon ravioli stuffed with chicken, ricotta and spinach in a tomato cream sauce 10.99

There were also Italian specialties such as Lasagne, just like mamma used to make 11.99

Linguine Pescatore Shrimp, scallops and mussels tossed with linguine in a spicy marinara sauce 15.49

Sautéed chicken breast coated with Italian breadcrumbs, topped with Parmesan pomodoro sauce and melted mozzarella, served with garlic mashed potatoes, spaghetti pomodoro, cavatappi amatriciana or the vegetable of the day 15.49

Veal Marsala topped with mushrooms, prosciutto and our Lombardo Marsala or Piccata wine sauce or lemon butter sauce, served with garlic mashed potatoes, spaghetti pomodoro, cavatappi amatriciana or the vegetable of the day 15.99

They also have a children's menu

Favorite Dish: Other than pizza and pasta, there were items from the grille and those items include a choice of a House, Italian or Caesar salad. Entrees are also served with a choice of garlic mashed potatoes, spaghetti pomodoro, cavatappi amatriciana or the vegetable of the day.

Chicken Bryan Grilled chicken breast topped with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes and a basil lemon butter sauce 15.49

Chicken Marsala Grilled chicken breast topped with mushrooms, prosciutto and our Lombardo Marsala wine sauce 15.49

Pollo Rosa Maria Grilled chicken breast stuffed with fontina cheese and prosciutto, topped with mushrooms and a basil lemon butter sauce 15.99

Grilled Salmon Always fresh, grilled and finished with the Chef’s sauce of the day 16.99

Spiedino di Mare Shrimp and sea scallops coated with Italian breadcrumbs, grilled and topped with lemon butter sauce 16.99

Sirloin Marsala 11 oz. USDA Choice center-cut sirloin grilled and topped with mushrooms, prosciutto and our Lombardo Marsala wine sauce 16.99

The following entrees are served with your choice of two side dishes.
    Chicken Gratella Grilled chicken breast basted with olive oil and herbs 13.99
    Filet Fiorentina 9 oz. USDA Choice center-cut tenderloin perfectly seasoned and grilled 20.49

Bob had spaghetti With meat sauce, and homemade meatballs 10.99 (photo 4)

My choice was the fettichini macaroni special $15.99 and I also had a Caesar salad (photo 3). For dessert, I had John Cole dessert (Blue Bell vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce and roasted cinnamon rum pecans -photo 5), and the pecans were delicious.

Smokey Bones: One of the Major Lonsdale Blvd Trio

by grandmaR Updated Sep 29, 2006

Inside of restaurant

Once you get to Major Lonsdale Blvd, you have a choice of three restaurants. Tony Roma, Friday's and Smoky Bones. This restaurant was formerly a Don Pablo's Mexican Kitchen. But it has been a Smoky Bones since 2004.

We were seated quickly. There was a speaker on the table so we could have the sound from the 8 different TVs that were around the room. They had CNN, ESPN, and a cartoon network on. They had the TVs labeled with the numbers on the speaker menu over the bar (photo), but the partition in the booth was too tall for me to see the numbers unless I stood up (photo 3). We had 8 channels on the speaker box, but I could only see five channels over the bar.

For some reason, although I could see 5 or 6 TVs, there were only 3 channels visible because some of the TVs had the same channel on. The TVs were at an uncomfortable viewing angle, and they were playing music in addition to the TVs, so it was too noisy for me to really hear the speaker, even with it turned up.

Favorite Dish: I got IBC root beer to drink, and they gave me a frosted glass, but there was no ice, so it didn't really stay cold.

I started off with a cup of Brunswick stew ($3.49 - photo 4) which was very hot. It was too hot for me to eat without burning my mouth. I put an ice cube (from my water) into it to cool it off a bit. It was very good and somewhat spicy. Very thick with not much liquid like a proper stew.

Bob got BBQ half chicken with a baked potato and what was billed as creamy slaw for $9.99. When we think of creamy slaw, it has very small bits of cabbage. But this had large cabbage bits in it which was hard for him to chew.

I got the Pulled Pork Platter ($9.99 - photo 5) with mashed potatoes and brown gravy and roasted apples (also $9.99). The pulled pork had a number of hard bits in it which might have been crispy outsides, or might have been bones. We each got a slice of Texas toast with the meal. They didn't bring additional bread, although the server said she would.

At the end, they gave us a slip with a phone number and ID number, and said that if we phoned the number and gave them the ID number and answered some questions, that we'd get a coupon number for $5.00 off the next time we visited.

• Seniors

Restaurant Row: Plenty to Choose From

by grandmaR Updated Sep 29, 2006

Bob walking into Tia's

This intersection has really been built up in the last 15 years. I've been to many of these restaurants, but sometimes not recently or not in this location. The ones I've been to most recently are Carrabba's, and Tia's (pictured), Rips, Chili's, Smoky Bones, and On the Border which I've written up separately.

Coming south on Crain Highway after the Comfort Inn with Chessie's Restaurant (listed as a hotel under Accommodations Tips) at 4500 Crain Hwy there are:

Bob Evans Farms Restaurant

Luigi's Pizza & Pasta & More
    3552 Crain Hwy, Bowie, MD
    (301) 805-5725

Carrabba's Italian Grill
    16431 Governor Bridge Rd (sits on a bluff over Crain Hwy)

With

Ruby Tuesday's
    16451 Excalibur Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716-3925
    Phone: 301-805-4494

on the west side access road. And of course there are the fast food places.

Favorite Dish: Other restaurants nearby, but off MD 197 near US Route 50:

Five Guys Burgers & Fries
    3851 Town Center Blvd, Bowie, MD
    (301) 464-9633

Instant Answers: Bowie

Comments

Bowie Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bowie restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bowie sightseeing.