Brooklyn Park Travel Guide

Iris in the spring
    Brewing sunshine tea

Brooklyn Park Restaurants

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are so many Chinese restaurants around that there are too many to return to one unless it is outstanding. I just don't want to each Chinese that often. There are three within 6 blocks. This is one of them.

Favorite Dish: I think I've had orange duck which I remember as a bit greasy, but it has been some time since I have eaten here.

Hunan Village

by grandmaR Updated Sep 4, 2003

Located on one of the 'pad sites' that line the sides of Ritchie Hwy, this place used to be a fast food place and then was a drive-in scone restaurant. I loved getting the scones, wraps and ice cream that they had, but I when I was leaving this restaurant with my lunch one day, I was T-boned by someone who ran the red light. They totaled my car and I broke 4 ribs. When I got back on my feet that restaurant was gone, and this one was there.

While I was a bit reluctant to go back here fearing it was unlucky, this place has become one of my favorites. They say it has "authentic" Mexican food, and that good Mexican food should be picked up and eaten with the fingers. (really I don't know how else one could eat a taco - I've seen sandwiches eaten with knife and fork in Germany but a taco HAS to be picked up.) Meals are made to order, but quickly.

They've decorated it inside with some very nice murals (one is pictured- the one on the other side had Mayan scenes).

A review in the "Maryland Gazette" (the local paper) says it was named "after a river in Gudalajara that ends in a waterfall".

Favorite Dish: We were on our way for our annual dentist appointment and Bob refused to eat anything for fear his teeth would get dirty.

We had iced tea and the salsa with chips (mild but you can ask for pico de gallo) and then I had a very nice ala carte dish of 2 cheese quesadillas for $4.50.

Apparently there is an El Salto II out in Parkville which is better.

The City Paper review of El Salto II says:

"Obviously, Taco Bell is to Mexican food what Pop-Tarts are to French pastry. Not that we're knocking the knockoffs, but most of the time we'd rather have Mexican food at a Mexican restaurant..

"Baltimore is woefully lacking in Mexican restaurants serving big, greasy, cheese-smothered combo plates--the kind that tread the line between the authentic pupusas of upper Fells Point's burgeoning bodega scene and soulless corporate creations like Chi-Chi's that sling nacho "cheez" sauce from a can." (couldn't resist quoting that)

In any case, I like the food here and it's got much more ambiance that it did when we first started coming here. The murals are new since last time.

They apparently also offer Mexican sodas, 8 imported Mexican beers, wine and Margaritas.

Mural with insets of outside of restaurant

• Brooklyn Park Hotels

0 Hotels in Brooklyn Park

Brooklyn Park Transportation

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is a light rail stop near the intersection of Maryland Route 648 and Fort Meade Road. The MDOT calls this North Linthicum, but as far as I am concerned it is Brooklyn Park. It provides an easy and cheap way to get to Oriole Park as parking is free at the light rail lot. There are 347 parking spaces in this lot and sometimes for Oriole games people end up parked on the side of the highway.

This is the Penn line which goes either from BWI airport or Cromwell Station up to Penn Station and then north to Hunt Valley.

Normal HOURS OF OPERATION are:

Monday - Friday 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
    Saturday 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
    Sunday and Holidays 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

But they often run special trains for the Orioles games.

Fares - one way $1.35
    All day $3.00

End of the light rail line Cromwell Station 64 light rail near BWI
    • Trains
    • Business Travel

Brooklyn Park Local Customs

by grandmaR Updated Jul 18, 2006

Baltimore has a screen painting tradition. The painted all the screens on the front of the house. This not only decorated the house, but also allowed the window to remain open and people inside to have the benefit of breezes in hot weather without other people being able to look in. (This doesn't work if you have a light on inside the house.)

I started decorating screens myself - I am somewhat self taught. First I painted screens on a house (which we have since sold), and then I painted screens on the boat. This is a picture of beach on Tortola, but I also did our house in Leonardtown, and the first one I did was a more typical one with a house, a river and a bridge.

Painted window screens Side window - first picture Front window of Leonardtown house Another view of the front Other side

Brooklyn Park Off The Beaten Path

by grandmaR Written Feb 25, 2003

While my husband and various family members (daughters, SILs) were putting the new siding on our house, my job was to run to the store for stuff we needed, feed people and babysit the various grandchildren. I took one grandson (age 3) to several little local playground/parks

Grandson on playground

Brooklyn Park Favorites

by grandmaR Updated Mar 5, 2008

Favorite thing: Maryland has all kinds of weather. It has snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms, humidity, heat and cold. There are four seasons.

In the spring, there are rains and sometimes flooding. And there are also flowers (photo 5)
    In the summer there is heat and humidity, and along with that are tornados, hurricanes and thunderstorms.
    In the fall you get rain and freezing rain.
    In the winter it snows and sometimes there are ice storms.

Fondest memory: One year it snowed 3 feet in about a week. Bob cleared out our driveway and also the street in front of our house. He piled the snow inside the fence in our yard. Then he also shoveled the street etc in front of the house across the street (the lady that lived there was crippled with arthritis). When they saw him do that, the men in the houses on either side also shoveled the street in front of their houses.

This meant that when the snow plows came through, they didn't plow us into our driveway.

It's snowing Brewing sunshine tea Snow Snow Iris in the spring
    • School Holidays

by grandmaR Updated May 13, 2005

Favorite thing: There are a number of very small communities right near where we lived.

Fondest memory: When we went out to eat, if we went east towards Route 2, the restaurants were in Brooklyn Park. But if we went west, the restaurants were either in Linthicum or Linthicum Heights.

Map of area - green squares are HazMat locations
    • Business Travel

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Brooklyn Park? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Brooklyn Park

Comments

Brooklyn Park Travel Guide
Map of Brooklyn Park