California Restaurants

• General Tso's Chicken which includes an egg roll
    General Tso's Chicken which includes an...
    by grandmaR
  • Counter where you order your food and pay
    Counter where you order your food and...
    Egg roll or beef roll

Most Recent Restaurants in California

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar: Weekly Dining Out

by grandmaR Updated Jun 3, 2014

Bar at Applebee's

When we are at home, we usually go out to dinner once a week. This was a custom I started when we were first married. Then it was usually Friday because we were both working and I went to market on Saturday so by Friday, I was tuckered out and out of food.

This week we went to the local Applebee's. I don't think we have been to the local Applebee's before. They can also supply meals 'to go'. We go to Applebee's a lot when we travel, but we don't go so often when we are at home.

Favorite Dish: Bob usually gets ribs whenever we go anywhere, and that's what he did this time. His riblets were $11.59. I got a small steak with boiled potatoes and stuffed mushrooms ($13.99) from the Weight Watcher's menu) and I drank cranberry juice. For dessert I splurged on the triple Chocolate Meltdown® $5.99

The total bill was $34.00

Panera Bread Cafe #3591: Stand In Line

by grandmaR Updated Oct 28, 2013

From the parking lot

I persuaded Bob to come here one week because we had never been to Panera before.

I thought the food was good, but the order takers were slow, and they didn't coordinate the order at all - various things were picked up at different places. After we ordered, Bob had to stand and wait for the food to come up. One of the things I ordered did not come with the rest of them and he had to go back to it. He said anyone could have taken it. Also the tables were dirty and they were out of the item that was advertised on the placards.

Favorite Dish: I had the the squash soup with the roasted turkey, harvest wheatberry salad, with a baguette roll for $8.29 which was very good - I wondered if it would need dressing, but the dressing was in it. I also I also had a strawberry smoothie $3.99, and what was supposed to be a wild blueberry scone $2.09. But I think there were some raisins in it. Bob had a tuna sandwich with chips $5.89 and drank water

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Also Formerly India Garden and Northridge Pub: Now Mexican was Northridge-Montaque Caspian

by grandmaR Updated Oct 27, 2013

coupons

Changed hands and cuisine again. It is currently a Mexican Restaurant.

This restaurant started out as a northern branch of a restaurant down at the southern end of St. Mary's County called Southridge. It is associated with a motel. They had Beef-Lamb-Poultry-Seafood and Sunday Brunch, and do catering. On Saturday night they have a local guy playing the guitar - mostly stuff like Jim Croce and Peter, Paul and Mary.

I haven't been to it since the Montaque Caspian Restaurant changed hands.

Favorite Dish: I had a pasta dish which had tomatoes and olives in it - kind of like a tomato pasta version of a Greek salad for $9.95. My husband had salmon for $13.95. These were among the cheapest items on the menu. The special was a surf and turf which was $31.00. I had the only dessert on the menu which didn't have a lot of alcohol in the description - fried custard. This turned out to be a wedge of custard coated in brown sugar and cinnamon with a small scoop of ice cream next to it. Good and very sweet. Most desserts were $4-7.

• Business Travel
    • Music

Jerrys Bistro: Not a Bistro

by grandmaR Updated Sep 28, 2013

Jerry's Bistro

The name of this restaurant is absolutely misleading as this is nothing like a Bistro (which I think of as French and intimate). This is a restaurant which does everything from Pizza to Sushi, including subs, Chinese food, seafood and Gyros, but has no atmosphere. I think most of their business is take-out

Hours:
    Hours:Mon - Thu 10:30 AM - 11:00 PM Fri - Sat 10:30 AM - 12:00 AM Sun 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Favorite Dish: I had the General Tso's chicken dinner for $7.95. It came with fried rice and an egg roll. I also got a beef roll which was very good. I meant to try a Gyro, but got seduced by the General Tso's Chicken. I had plenty to take home and eat the following night. I got hot tea which was boiling hot in a large styrofoam cup - I had to use two cups of ice in it to get it cool enough to drink (I'm not used to hot drinks)

Bob had a meatball sub for $7.75 and he also took some of his home.

Nicolletti's Pizza: Large Salad Bar

by grandmaR Written Sep 13, 2013

Soup and half sub with cornbread $5.99

Bob has resisted going here - he doesn't like to go to a restaurant for pizza. When I finally did persuade him, it was a hot day, and the A/C inside couldn't keep up with the heat from the ovens. Also their menu said they had gelato, but the gelato machine was broken.

You go up to the counter and order and they give you a number for your table. They offer a weekday lunch pizza, salad bar that includes a drink for just $8.75,

I was surprised we had been in the county longer than Nicolletti's. This where people always went after swim meets.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a cup of soup and a half sub, which was on the menu for $7.00 but they only charged me $5.99. I got potato soup and a BLT sub. Bob got a meatball sub for $7.00. It came with a bag of potato chips He could only eat half of it.

MONTEREY Mexican Restaurante: One of two Mexican Restaurants in San Souci

by grandmaR Updated May 21, 2013

#15 - the wrong order for me

The restaurant always looks so crowded we've avoided going in. Today we got there before 5:45 on a Wednesday night, and there were empty tables. I suspect one of the attractions of this restaurant are the prices. We had a coupon - two of the numbered special dinners for $9.99.

The Department of Tourism website says:
    "Southwestern and Tex Mex. Fun and casual atmosphere" The decor is the usual Mexican restaurant thing.

They gave us chips and dip first - there were two dips - one was a tomato salsa like is usually there. And the other one was a mayo/mustardy one.

After that first visit we brought our son's family here for lunch in 2004, and when we went for dinner last Thursday (September 2005) we arrived about 6:45 and got seated right away. We had a coupon again, but this time it was two numbered dinners for $11.95.

In 2013, we came again early Weds night with a coupon - two of the numbered entrees for $16.95 (would usually have been $19.98)

Favorite Dish: In 2005, I had the #9. It was a cheese quesidilla and a chalupa with rice. For one thing I wanted to know whether the chalupa was like the one at Taco Bell. It wasn't. Bob had the #10 - his usual - it was 2 tacos. Both entrees were normally $7 @. In 2005, we had the same two entrees and this time their usual price was $7.25.

I had fried ice cream for dessert ($3.97) and we each had water. We both ordered water and iced tea, but we only got one ice tea. The glasses were so big that we couldn't drink all of it.

The waiter disappeared as I was finishing my dinner, but the manager person behind the desk brought me my ice cream, and eventually we got a bill which was correct.

This time the bill with the one iced tea and the fried ice cream was $18+, and Bob left a $4 tip.

In 2013 Bob ordered #10 (two tacos, rice and beans) and I ordered #16 (Chicken quesadilla, chile relleno and enchilada). When our meal came it didn't really look right, but it never occurred to me that I had been brought the wrong thing until we got the bill. I had been given #15 instead of #16. They both had the chicken quesadilla, but instead of chile relleno, i had a taco (which I don't care for) and beef and chicken tostada. I didn't get the sour cream topping either and the chicken quesadilla was sort of scorched. I also ordered fried ice cream which had a kind of soggy cornflake coating and was $5.50. This time the bill with cranberry juice was $29.66

Asahi: Steak or Sushi and Tempora

by grandmaR Updated May 21, 2013

Steaks laid out

We went out to dinner on Saturday (March 22, 2003) this week and we initially headed for the Mexican restaurant near here as I had a coupon. Then I discovered that people were knee deep in front of the restaurant and the coupon was only for M-Th. So we had a choice - Indian or Japanese. We picked Japanese.

The restaurant has a suchi/sashimi bar in the middle, and a number of tables in a horse-shoe shape around a chef in the middle of a big grill, plus a few just plain tables. We took the plain table because to go to the grill we would have had to wait. This was a mistake.

Most of the grill chefs put on quite a performance - there were at least two flame-ups per group causing everyone to shriek. Unfortunately, it took people a long time to get a seat at the grills, and after they were seated it was a long time before you got to eat anything.

In 2013, we went back and we went early on Wednesday night so we would not have to wait. This time we got to sit at the grill and see the show. This seems to be someplace that our daughter might like. We had to wait to eat until the table was full. At the other end from us was a couple - I think he worked on the Navy base. The other four people were probably college students.

Favorite Dish: In 2013, we got a clear soup (which I thought at first she said was a finger bowl), and a salad. Bob ordered Hibachi chicken for $15.95, and I ordered Asahi Steak for $17.95

Neither of us is really sure about sushi, so we got tempora. First we had a kind of salty soup with greens and little chunks of tofu in it. Then we got a small limp bowl of greens saturated with the house dressing (and chopsticks to eat it with). Bob got shrimp tempora and I got chicken. We got a sauce and rice with it. I like tempora, but after awhile it gets greasy Fortunately I had saved my spoon from the soup so I could eat the rice without fooling with the chopsticks. We asked for water and tea, and the waitress had to be asked twice for the tea (hot green tea). The meal cost $29.29 for the two of us, and it took a long time to get the bill. Bob finally left her $35.00 cash so we wouldn't have to wait for the credit card to come back.

The paper that wrapped the chop sticks had the prices on it - Nigri Sushi ranged from a high of $6.00 for two pieces of UNI (fresh Sea Urchin) fo $3.00 for crab. For Maki Suishi the highest priced item was $8.50 for Chesapeake Bay ROll (deep fried soft shelled crab with avocado and cucumber). Seaweed salad was $3.50.

New York Buffet: Previously Aloha Chinese Buffet /China King Buffet

by grandmaR Written Mar 14, 2013

My food as a face

We were going out for our weekly dinner out and I had a coupon, but the coupon was only good for Thursday, Friday and Saturday and this was Wednesday. So we drove over to Wildewood to see what was there, and saw the New York Buffet which for some reason I thought would be pizza. But it wasn't. It was Chinese. There are two other Chinese buffets in the county - one in Lexington Park, and one in Leonardtown. I think I ate here previously when it was the Aloha

This one has a lunch buffet, a dinner buffet and sells food from the buffet by the pound. It is $4.00 a pound for lunch and $5.00 a pound at dinner. We saw many people come in to carry out food by the pound but it was really early so we were the only ones eating there.

Their website says
    You can enjoy our all-you-can-eat buffet, or selections from our menu. Try our tantalizing Mongolian BBQ available with a spicy, brown, or garlic sauce. If you are in the mood for sushi, enjoy our superb specialties with freshly prepared spicy mayonnaise, wasabi, or pickled ginger. Get a taste of home with our american favorites, such as chicken wings and nuggets, french fries, and ribs. There is also seafood, get all-you-can-eat shrimp, crab legs, salmon, mussels, crayfish, or calamari. If you choose a lighter fare, our fresh and delicious salad bar is the right choice.

Favorite Dish: We had Mongolian BBQ in Miami so I would have tried that but all that was there was sushi and I don't care for that. For my first plate I picked sesame chicken, hard boiled eggs, curly pasta salad, some peel and eat shrimp and a stuffed mushroom. Halfway through picking, I remembered that I had a photography assignment to 'play with my food' and I thought this would be a good opportunity for that. So when I got back to my seat, I made a face with my food and photographed it before I ate it. The sesame chicken was particularly good. My second plate I got a crab and cheese casserole, some more sesame chicken, General Tso's chicken and white rice

Bob started out with the shrimp and crab legs and had a really hard time eating the crab legs. The dinner price was $10.95 with $1 off for being seniors which I think included drinks (we had hot tea), and Bob tipped $5.00

LongHorn Steakhouse: A passion for grilling

by grandmaR Updated Feb 10, 2013

Inside of the restaurant

We've watched this restaurant being built in the row along with Olive Garden and Cracker Barrel, so when we got back from our trip, my husband suggested we go here for our weekly dinner out. It was quite crowded for a Thursday night, and we had to wait about half an hour for a table (which we don't usually do). The service was reasonably good, but the kitchen was a little slow so dinner took longer than usual

Favorite Dish: Bob had the baby back ribs with mashed potatoes which he thought were good, and I had the Flo's filet with sweet potato. Each did had a side and a salad with it. I ate the vegetables and took the steak home to eat later. I then got the Golden Nugget Fried Cheesecake which came with ice cream and I had the ice cream there and took the nuggets home. I found them tough (i.e. I couldn't cut them in two with a fork or a spoon) when I went to eat them later.

Chick-fil-A: Hamburger Alternative

by grandmaR Updated Dec 27, 2012

My chicken salad sandwich and fries

Chick-fil-A has breakfast including such items as

* Biscuit
    * Chick-fil-A® Chick-n-Minis™ 3-count
    * Chick-fil-A® Chicken Biscuit
    * Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit
    * Sausage Biscuit
    * Biscuit and Gravy
    * Breakfast Burrito (chicken)
    * Breakfast Burrito (sausage)
    * Sunflower Multigrain Bagel

* Dr Pepper®
    * DASANI Bottled Water
    * Cafe' Blends Coffee
    * Orange Juice

They are always closed on Sunday

Favorite Dish: I had eaten at Chick-fil-A once when I was driving home from my mom's and wasn't too impressed. So I decided that I need to go again.

Chick-fil-A has mostly chicken sandwiches, nuggets and strips. They also have wraps and salads. No hamburger. They have fries or you can substitute a fresh fruit cup for an additional 55 cents.

Classics

* Chick-fil-A® Chicken Sandwich
    * Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich
    * Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Club Sandwich
    * Chick-fil-A® Chicken Salad Sandwich
    * Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Strips® (4 or 6-count)
    * Chick-fil-A® Nuggets (4-6 in Kid's Meal or 8-12 pack)

Desserts

* Icedream® Cup
    * Icedream® Cone
    * Chick-fil-A® Cheesecake
    * Chick-fil-A® Lemon Pie
    * Fudge Nut Brownie

I got a fresh fruit cup (instead of fries), carrot salad and lemon pie for $4.25. I love the carrot salad

When we went to the county fair (2012) we got coupons for a free sandwich with each ticket. So we went again (twice). The second time I got a chicken salad sandwich, waffle fries, and a sundae. Bob got a regular sandwich and a milkshake. There was a choir from Spring Ridge Middle School singing.

Cracker Barrel #572: New Restuarant

by grandmaR Written Sep 20, 2012

Looking through the lattice to the next area

Whenever I have been to Cracker Barrel before, I have been disappointed in either the food or the service or both. I think this might be because I expect the food with folksy descriptions to be like the food I remember. I keep trying the chicken and dumplings and getting stogy pasta type things instead of a dumpling. Also I think most of the stuff in their store is junk.

But there is a new store in our area, so I decided to go for our weekly dining out.

We had to wait a few minutes and they don't have any place to sit inside (because of the store) so we had to sit outside in the rockers. It wasn't bad because it was nice weather. Had it been snowing or raining or very hot, it would have been unpleasant - the porch faces west, so especially bad if it has been hot.

Favorite Dish: The service was very quick and since I avoided ordering the things that had disappointed me before, the food was pretty good. I had a large cranberry juice $2.59 and a breakfast sandwich - this was sourdough bread with a circle cut out of it and on the side, and an egg fried in the middle of it. I thought it was good. I had a side with it. Bob had chicken livers and mashed potatoes but he didn't like the breading on them. I had peach cobbler for dessert. We had to ask for the biscuits and they came at the end so we got a box and took home some of my bacon, some of his chicken livers and the rolls which I had for lunch the next day.

Ruby Tuesday: American Cooking

by grandmaR Updated Apr 23, 2012

Salad bar

When we've been to Ruby Tuesday in the past it has been VERY noisy, and my husband has hesitated to go back. However, it came up to our weekly night out, and I had a coupon for Ruby Tuesday for up to $10 off. And it was early (before 6) and we thought it shouldn't be too crowded so we went.

We were seated without waiting. I wanted to take a picture of/look at the salad bar, but didn't get a chance. It was NOT too noisy, because they had CNN on the TVs with the sound turned off and the captions on so you could actually tell what was going on.

Update 9/03: We had another coupon for buy one entree get one free, so we went again. Again we were seated right away, although the restaurant was semi-full already at about 5:45 pm.

This time I managed to get the salad bar with my entree ($2.99 extra) and it was quite good - better than the average salad bar. I also had a steak and potato. I had enough to eat that I didn't get any dessert.

Favorite Dish: I had the steak tacos. They were good, but not as good as at ChiChis. For one thing, the tacos were cold, the steak was in big chunks so it was hard to get into the tortilla. I got 4 tortillas, chunks of steak on sauteed bell peppers, rice, grated cheese, chunks of tomatoes, grated lettuce a dollop of sour cream and a little pot of salsa.

My husband had fish, and with it came a huge tree of brocolli. He also had iced tea and I had strawberry lemonade.

We didn't get any bread with the meal. The service was OK but it was hard to get the check.

I had the chocolate 'short' cake (as opposed to the tall cake) for dessert - that was very good.

The bill was $29 before the tip but after a $10.00 credit.

9/03: The bill with a free entree was $21.27 before the tip. That was for one entree with a salad bar and two iced teas.

9/05: We went to Ruby Tuesdays again on a Thursday night - not crowded and were seated right away. It was a new menu and didn't have any price for the non-alcoholic drinks. The waitress said they were $1.85. Bob got the coconut shrimp and I had a stacked chicken. That apparently is the entree between mashed potatoes and onion rings. They were both around $11 each. I got a blonde brownie ($4.99) for dessert and mostly just ate the ice cream and brought the brownie home.

2012 - We had dinner here again and it was very good. I had a non-alcoholic berry fusion $2.99, a petite sirloin $11.99 and Italian Cake $4.99. Bob had the half rack of ribs for $13.99.

We went again in 2012 with a coupon. This time the service was good and we got four little biscuits to start. I ate them all. I got the Parmesan Shrimp Pasta and Bob got the Petite Sirloin with spaghetti squash

Bollywood Masala: Former Taste of India,Curry of India, India Garden

by grandmaR Updated Dec 16, 2011

My husband enjoyed the Indian food we had in England, but when we have tried Indian food here, he just doesn't like it. So I doubt if we will ever eat here.

I took the picture to finish up the roll after we went to the Monterey Restaurant which is just up the row from this and apparently the restaurant has changed hands and names since the time we saw it

Red Robin Bourmet Burgers: New in 2011

by grandmaR Updated Aug 30, 2011

Bob

Bob thinks this is just a more expensive Burger King, but it does have something Burger King does not have, and that is alcoholic beverages for those who want them and people do not have to worry about their children being noisy.

Store Hours: Sun-Thu: 11a-11p, Fri-Sat: 11a-Midnight

Favorite Dish: I had a queasy stomach so I ordered hot tea which wasn't on the menu, but they brought it for me ($2.49). Bob had a classic chocolate shake ($2.99 for the classic and not the monster with unlimited refills for $4.49) and I had the mint chocolate brownie shake.

He had the Natural Burger and fries ($7.89), and I had the bacon cheeseburger for $9.69 and a side of mac and cheese instead of fries for an additional 99 cents.

Bob had his milkshake first - I saved mine and had it for dessert although I was tempted by the tuxedo funnel cake

• Disabilities

Rick's Cheesesteak Factory and Italian Eatery: Boar's Head Meats

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sign outside inset into inside view

I dropped my husband off for some medical tests at the Phillip Bean Center, and was supposed to pick him up at two. So I went out for lunch. As I was driving south on Route 235, I saw a sign advertising Ricks, so I tried it.

Mon. - Thurs. 11 AM - 8 PM, Fri. & Sat. 11 AM - 9 PM. Order early by phone.

Featuring pizza (medium 14" $9.95 + $1.25/topping), cheesesteaks (regular $5.95), hoagies, and Italian entrees.

Favorite Dish: The lunch special was 2 slices of pizza (pepperoni or cheese) and a soda for $5.00, But I got a roast beef sub ($5.95) and they gave me a cup of water free. I ate outside on the picnic tables, although there is also inside seating.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: California

Comments

California Travel Guide

California Restaurants

Reviews and photos of California restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for California sightseeing.