Callaway Travel Guide

Bob
    by grandmaR
    Stuffed bear up above where we sat
    by grandmaR
  • My half rack of ribs, potato salad and corn bread
    My half rack of ribs, potato salad and...

Callaway Restaurants

by grandmaR Updated Mar 11, 2012

This place is where the old Hewitt Lumber warehouse used to be before it was hit by lightening and burned. The people who run it also ran the old Evan's restaurant at one time. They do a lot of take-out business and the dining rooms are pretty short on ambiance - not much above a fast food restaurant. You put in your order at the counter, get your drinks from the machine and then they bring you your meal.

NOTE - YOU HAVE TO PAY CASH They don't take credit cards.

Hours of Operation
    Monday-Wednesday: 10:30-3
    Thursday: 10:30-7
    Friday & Saturday: 10:30-8
    Sunday: Closed

Favorite Dish: They have tables outside which look attractive if it is nice weather but Bob does not like to eat outside.

We finally went here for dinner one night - it was late and close to their closing time. Bob had a smoked turkey sandwich and fries for $5.99, and I had a half slab ribs with potato salad and corn bread for $15.99. Drinks were extra. The ribs were tough to eat. They also had rotisserie chicken, and chili.

They had apple dumpling on the menu but since they didn't have hard sauce with it, Bob went and made it at home.

Bear Creek BBQ My half rack of ribs, potato salad and corn bread Bob Sign at night Stuffed bear up above where we sat

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a new gas station and restaurant that is part of a chain of franchises.

When I had my first child and my husband went out to sea (US Navy) I used to drive from Norfolk home to Baltimore up Route 17 to Route 301. In those days (1961-1964) there weren't many restaurants along the way. There was however a place where one could get corn dogs. A corn dog is a hot dog on a stick covered with corn batter and deep fried. I learned to love corn dogs.

Favorite Dish: A&W not only has corn dogs (these days they are nuggets instead of on a stick) but they also have root beer floats - another yummy but not too good for you item.

They have the normal burgers, fries, chicken, bacon cheeseburgers and the like, but they also have a Coney Island cheese dog, chili dogs, onion rings, cheese fries, chili cheese fries, cheese curds, and today I saw shrimp and fish on the menu.

A & W in Callaway Menu board Slip with our order Root Beer Float Bacon Cheeseburger

by grandmaR Written Oct 1, 2005

I was surprised to see this place in the Shell station across the street from the A&W Root Beer and gas station because Calloway isn't very big. I haven't been here to eat.

China Cafe
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Callaway

Comments

Callaway Travel Guide
Map of Callaway