Crisfield Restaurants

inside after lunch
    by grandmaR
    The BEST crabcake sandwich ($9.99)
    Bathroom doors

Most Recent Restaurants in Crisfield

Side Street Seafood Market: Crabby

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

The marina gave us 'wooden nickels' which the boy said were good for a free beer or half price meal. (I asked him if beer was that expensive here.) It turned out to be $1.00 off for each token.

It was a bit early for dinner and very late for lunch as it was only a little after 4, but we climbed the fire escape like steps outside the restaurant (downstairs was the market part of it - a bench labeled 'Liar's bench' was outside under the window) and went in. We opted to eat indoors. I noticed that the outdoor seating area had buckets of citronella candles in a rack at the door. The restrooms had crabs on the doors and were labeled 'Jimmys' (for the men) and 'Sooks'.

The tables appeared to be made of PVC pipe and the chairs were ordinary outdoor lawn chairs. The walls were apparently some type of laminate with delicately 'woodburned' scenes in a repeating pattern like wall paper.

You can also take a tour of J. C. W. Tawes & Son and watch the pickers in action. Watch the work boats bringing in their catch each day and watch the process the crabs go through until they reach the pickers. A good picker can do 15 lbs of crab meat an hour (for a short time).

In addition to the restaurant and seafood sales, they also rent bikes.

Favorite Dish: They had something on the menu called a deep fried hard crab, which was hard to imagine. When asked, they explained that they took off the top carapace, cleaned the crab (removing the lungs and eyes I guess) filled the space with crab meat, dipped the whole thing in batter and deep fried it. I tried that. It was a tasty idea, but lacked in the execution. The crab part was good, but the batter was a thick pasty scorched tasting job.

Bob had a half dozen steamed crabs which he said was a perfect amount for him. Medium $1.85 each
    Large $2.35 each

We both drank tea (we could have had birch beer) and the bill was $26. With the $2 off and a tip, the total was $29.00

They have an all-you-can-eat crab and corn feast $20.95 Per Person too.

From the entrance channel in 2007 Bob at the Side Street Bob's steamed crabs Bathroom doors Deep fried hard crab

Gordon's Confectionery: Ice Cream

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

We meandered slowly in the heat up main street to Gordon's Confectionery, which had Hershey's ice cream. This has no ambiance or decor. There were some locals occupying shabby tables and chairs at the back, and there was a TV tuned to a sports broadcast.

dlitedirector wrote:
    "No ambience or decor." ???? Seriously? Gordon's is authentic and real. Real people - watermen, primarily - eating real food - try scrapple sandwich - having real conversation. Sorry it lacked the appeal of Applebee's or Chili's.

You mistake what I meant. I was describing what I saw. I didn't mean that I didn't like it because it wasn't fancy. Quite the opposite in fact. I distrust most of the 'gourmet' establishments.

We (or I) sat at the table under the TV because it was so hot I couldn't have eaten the ice cream before it melted if I were outside.

Favorite Dish: Cones were cheaper than cups, so I got a double dip cone (chocolate mint chip and Moose Tracks).

Moose tracks proved to be vanilla with very large chunks of chocolate in it. (I suppose Moose Scat wouldn't be as appetizing but that's what it was more reminiscent of, I thought.) Bob asked for fudge but they only had peanut butter fudge so that's what he got - single dip.

They also sold snacks and I think they had a grille.

Counter area of Gordon's

Cove Restaurant: Open Monday and Tuesday

by grandmaR Updated Jun 21, 2008

The Cove Restaurant is a nice restaurant but not excessively nice. The prices are reasonable.

The tables are wood and there is stainless tableware with paper place mats. In 2004, the placemats have lighthouses on them, but none of them are Chesapeake Bay lighthouses. In 2007, they had a map of Tangier Sound. There are big windows along one side of the dining room. In 2004, the centerpieces on the table are minature cat tails in bud vase type glasses with net and shell wrap (see photo inset). Very unusual and nice. Also inset in the photo of the sign on the street is the model ship which was on a shelf in the restaurant.

The menu says that this is the sister restaurant to the Bayside Inn on Smith Island. Apparently the second floor has accommodations for tourists who come from Pt. Lookout to visit Smith Island and spend the night in Crisfield.

Favorite Dish: In 2004, Bob had cream of crab soup and a seafood salad both of which looked excellent. I had a crab cake sandwich which was also good - broiled and not a lot of filler.

I also had a creme brulee cheesecake, and just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Our meal was about $35, but Bob had soup and salad instead of an entree.

In 2007 We both had a non-alcoholic Ole Island Pina Colada (Photo 2 - $3.99). Then I had a prime rib sandwich (photo 4 - $10.99) and this time Bob had the crabcake sandwich (photo 3 - $9.99). He said it was the best crab cake he's ever eaten. Both of us had fruit for the side and neither of us ate the bread of the sandwich. I had a Kid's Ice Cream Sundae for dessert ($1.99) and Bob had Chocolate Beyond Reason ($5.99) which was three layers of chocolate and caramel cake filled with chocolate mousse and finished with chocolate butter icing.

In 2008, Bob ordered a one crab cake dinner for $15.99, and I got the special which was Crab Imperial (photo 5) with two sides for $9.99. We both got asparagus which was the vegetable of the day as one of our sides, and Bob got cole slaw and I got potato salad. They brought us two biscuits which tasted like they had honey butter in them and two that were made with pumpkin or sweet potato. My crab imperial proved to be a crab cake with a rich topping on it which tasted by itself like a cheese and tartar sauce custard. I could only eat half of it and got it in a box to go. We had virgin pina coladas for dessert ($3.99 each). Still a fairly cheap dinner and really good.

Cove restaurant street sign and insets non-alcoholic Ole Island Pina Colada ($3.99) The BEST crabcake sandwich ($9.99) Prime rib sandwich ($10.99) Crab Imperial Special $9.99

• Circle Inn: Mid-west Crabcakes?

by LINNIE1848 Written May 28, 2008

My husband and I were on our way to Smith Island, however, we missed the boat. We decided to have lunch and asked some locals about a good place to eat. They suggested the Circle Inn. It was a nice, no frills kind of place and very clean. We started with a bowl of Crearm of Crab Soup which was very rich and quite tasty and had a fair amount of crabmeat in it. Both of us ordered the Crabcake Sandwich, FF and Cole Slaw. When the food arrived, we looked at each other in disbelief because the crab cake looked like a small crab fluff and it's taste and texture was not what you would expect from any restaurant on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. (The chef must have been from somewhere in the mid-west.) Also, my husband thought the Cole Slaw was good, but to me it had a strange flavor which I couldn't quite figure out what it was.

Favorite Dish: For dessert we shared a slice of the famous Smith Island Cake which recently has been named as the official Maryland Dessert. It was delicious! We had the one with chocolate icing and our waitress also said that there are also a banana cake and strawberry cake.

The Waterman's Inn: Closed Monday and Tuesday

by grandmaR Updated Sep 6, 2007

After we left the museum, we looked for a place to eat. The Waterman's Inn was the first thing we came to, but it was closed Monday and Tuesday (the two days we expected to be in town).

In 2004, we came to Crisfield again, but on Sunday this time. We walked by the Mexican place, but it was still closed for remodeling (from Isabel perhaps). The Waterman's Inn was open however, so we went in for an early dinner.

From their website. "Brian and Kathy Julian are .. graduates of Johnson and Wales University in Providence, RI .. [with] associate degrees in Culinary Arts. Kathy has an associate degree in Pastry Arts and a bachelors degree in Food Service Management. They've had separate experiences in 4 and 5 star restaurants, private family estates and prestigious old Cape Cod establishments.. Brian is an artist with food. He prefers to grill, broil or saute most meats. He prides himself on the use of fresh, seasonal, local and regional seafood and organically grown fruits and vegetables. His weekend specials which amplify the regular dinner menu are unique combinations of herbs and sauces prepared to complement each entree.

"A peek at the buffet as you enter the dining room reveals an array of beautiful desserts made be either Kathy or Brian. Kathy manages the business and spends much of dinner hour greeting, seating and occasionally waiting on her patrons. In addition she has a growing business creating beautiful wedding cakes and other special pastries. ..We are locally famous for our Chesapeake Crab soups, and Clam Chowder. ."

Favorite Dish: In 2003, after I rested at the tables outside in the semi shade, I took a photo of Bob (which is the tiny inset on the left of photo 4).

This time we had a choice of the Early Bird Dinners or the Blue Plate Specials. We took the Early Bird (before 6). Bob had steamed shrimp, a crabcake, lima beans and a salad, and I had a crab cake, broiled Tilapia, ratatouille and wild rice (top photo along with one of the desserts). We both had dessert - I had creme brulee and Bob had a chocolate volcano (upper right of photo 4). Some of their other desserts are also pictured.

(2) 4 oz Crab Cakes $16.95
    Sauted Soft Crab with Tomatoes and Artichoke Hearts $14.95
    Baked Flounder stuffed with Feta Cheese and Spinach topped with Hollandaise $14.50
    Grilled Port Tenderloin with roasted red grape sauce $13.95
    Four piece fried chicken dinner $9.95
    Vegetarian Plate $8.95
    Chopped Sirloin with Fried Onions and Gravy $7.95

In 2007 we went for lunch. I had a spinach, egg and bacon salad (Photo 2- $9.95), and Bob had a bowl of cream of crab soup. Part of the lunch menu is photo 5

Crab cake, broiled Tilapia, and tart for dessert My spinach, egg and bacon salad ($9.95) inside after lunch left - Bob sitting outside.  Right - desserts Lunch menu

CAPTAIN'S CARRY OUT: Carry Out

by grandmaR Updated Jul 10, 2003

It was too early to eat in a restaurant for lunch so we got take-out from this little deli. We took the meal back to the boat, but you could also go out on the Town pier and eat either in the shade or sun depending on your preference or the weather.

Favorite Dish: I got a chicken salad sandwich for $2.50. It was very good. If I have a choice, that's what I usually get, as I can make tuna salad without much effort at home and a lot cheaper.

Bob got his favorite, which was a turkey half sub ($4.75). We had things to drink on the boat, so we didn't buy any.

Captain's Carry Out (left) and Side Street Market

ORIGINAL CAPTAIN'S GALLEY: The Original

by grandmaR Written Jul 5, 2003

I understand the crab cakes here are the best. And Bob said that he has eaten here. But it was closed while we were there, just like the Fisherman's Inn.

Camper parked by The Captain's Galley

Instant Answers: Crisfield

Comments

Crisfield Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Crisfield restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Crisfield sightseeing.