Crofton Restaurants

• Old Jasper's building with workers trucks
    Old Jasper's building with workers...
    For sale signs October 2011
    Front of the restaurant at night

Most Recent Restaurants in Crofton

Jasper's: CLOSED

by grandmaR Updated Oct 25, 2011

For sale signs October 2011

This restaurant was a very popular one locally. It is now (2011) closed and for sale.

Favorite Dish: We stopped here for dinner on the way home in 2006 I decided to have an Arnold Palmer to drink (half lemonade and half iced tea $2.29), a cup of lobster bisque ($4.79 - which was OK), and the black and blue 8 oz. sirloin which marinated overnight in spices, and covered with blue cheese $11.59. It came with the creamed spinach which was covered with melted provolone cheese and was excellent, and a baked potato (2nd picture). I asked for my steak to be medium rare, but it was hardly pink at all.

Bob had the meatloaf dinner, which was served with mashed potatoes, brown gravy and fried red onions (last picture)

Other possibilities were:
    Two crab cakes $16.99
    Shrimp Jasper's $12.59
    Sizzling Beef Fajitas $13.19
    Blackened Catfish $13.59
    Pork Chops $12.39
    Spicy Orange Chicken $12.49
    Rack of BBQ ribs $17.99

The prices weren't bad although they have increased $3-$5 since I last looked, but in addition to my steak being overcooked, the service wasn't too swift. Bob was drinking water, and he ran out. It was a long time before the waiter even noticed, and after that he didn't come back to fill the water for quite awhile. We didn't get any bread.

We didn't get dessert because they didn't look that appetizing on the display table and also looked like they were too big for one person to eat. (They included cheesecake $4.99; Key Lime pie $4.79, Strawberry shortcake $5.79 and it wasn't really shortcake it was yellow cake, Apple Pie $4.59, Peanut Butter pie $4.69, Chocolate Obsession $4.99, Carrot Cake, a Brownie Sundae or a regular sundae - 4th picture).

Friendly’s: Ice Cream

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Happy Ending Sunday

Friendly's started out as an ice cream parlor in 1935. Now they have regular meals - burgers, soup, fajitas, supermelts, salads, wraps, sandwiches, and things like pot roast, and meatloaf for dinner. They have a seniors menu and a children's menu as well.

Their ice cream is their feature thing of course, and you can buy it in bulk or in individual sundae cups to take home. You can also walk up to a takeout window for cones or sundaes etc.

Their food is pretty ordinary American food. The one problem I've found with Friendly's is that the service is often slow, inefficient and disorganized. So don't go if you are in a hurry or at the peak meal times.

Favorite Dish: A bacon cheeseburger with a happy ending sundae. I also like the various wraps and the individual sundae cups that you can get to go.

You can get sundaes, banana splits and other ice cream desserts, but you can also get what they call a Happy Ending with most of their meals. This is a small sundae (which is pictured) rather than the extravaganza sundae that you get when ordered separately

Nautilus of Crofton: Shiny New Diner

by grandmaR Updated Dec 1, 2006

Ceiling with snowflakes for Xmas

We first went to a Nautilus in Timonium for lunch back in March 2006. We've seen this one being built in Crofton on our trips back and forth to Baltimore, so when wanted dinner at the end of November 2006, we stopped here. I thought it was a chain, but I can't find any website to that effect.

It was difficult in the dark to figure out how to get to the restaurant, as there is no direct on-off into the parking lot, and it is down a little bit below the level of the road but we did manage it.

This is a highly reflective environment with lots of stainless and chrome in the decor. There is the diner part where there is a small counter with stools, and booths with juke boxes in addition to a restaurant section. There are glass partitions between various sections. There's also a big bakery case with a lot of desserts by the entrance (photo 5).

Servers (men and women) wear white shirts with a black vest.

Bob thought the prices were very expensive but there ARE less expensive things to order.

Favorite Dish: They have breakfast all day, and they also have a specials menu (photo 4). We were only given one of them for the two of us.

They do have a drinks menu which is repeated on the place mat (photo two), but we drank water, and the server was very quick to give us additional water when I caught her eye and indicated that we needed more.

We got rolls with seeds on them and crackers and bread sticks right away, but I thought the rolls were a bit stale.

Bob got pancakes and scrapple from the breakfast menu. I hadn't considered doing that and maybe I should have done.

I got one of the specials which was pot roast with purple cabbage and potato cakes. This special included soup or salad, and they had matzo ball soup as the soup of the day so I ordered that. It was very good. On looking back at our previous lunch, I found that I ordered matzo ball soup then too.

The potato cakes were OK although they were quite uniformly brown (maybe had been deep fried), and the shreded purple cabbage was also OK. There was a lot of pot roast in gravy - tasted like saurbratten to me, but it wasn't called that. I couldn't eat it all and brought some of it home.

I asked about the egg cream and when I found out it didn't have any egg in it (I was thinking about frozen egg custard I guess), I decided to get the fruit sundae (photo 3) which was very good.

The whole dinner including tax and tip was only a little more than $25.00.

• Seniors

Crystal Hunan Restaurant: Elegant Oriental

by grandmaR Updated Nov 8, 2006

Front of the restaurant at night

We've eaten here a couple of times and if you want Chinese and you are in this area, this is a nice place to eat. Service is quick, and pleasant, and it is a nice airy place. This is not your 'pick one from column A' type Chinese restaurant. They have a semi-private room and a main dining room decorated with mirrors and fish tanks. Entrees range between $9 and $14.00

Favorite Dish: We both had our usual thing that we order in a Chinese restaurant. I had General Tso's chicken and Bob had Sweet and Sour Chicken. Each one came with a serving of rice. They gave us a small dip of orange sherbert and a fortune cookie for dessert.

The bill before tip (but after tax) was only $20.95

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cluck-U-Chicken: Formerly Lucky Luciano's Ristorante ?

by grandmaR Updated Nov 8, 2006

Shopping Center

Lucky Luciano's Ristorante is no Longer Extant - Gone, Gone, Gone

When we went in 2006, Luckys at 2205 had been replaced by some other business (maybe ASI). Cluck U Chicken (at 2219) is a chain and looked like a mostly take-out operation. We didn't eat here, we went to the Crystal Hunan restaurant which was next door. There is also a Blimpie and a hamburger type fast food place in this shopping center.

The second picture is of the former Lucky Luciano's. When I went to take a picture it looked a bit boarded up. The reviews below are all from 1998 or prior.

The Cluck U Chicken obviously serves mostly chicken but they also have salads, bisquits and things such as

Fresh Breaded Mushrooms
    Mozzarella sticks
    Spicy Red Beans and Rice
    Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
    Potato Salad
    Coleslaw
    Celery & Bleu Cheese

Favorite Dish: We went here once or twice on a coupon. This is a 'nice' restaurant. IIRC the food was a bit expensive. They had a cappucino machine which was one of the first I had ever seen.

Reviews from the internet:

"Mario Puzo fans, Lucky Luciano's is your joint! The menu opens with "Initiation" to drinks like Strawberry Valentine Massacre (strawberries and rum) and Joe Bananas (banana liqueur, apricot brandy, rum and o.j.), followed by less threatening appetizers: cold antipasto; fried calamari, zucchini and mozzarella; and minestrone. Everything here is old-school Italian, perfect for the '20's gangster motif: pastas; veal, chicken or eggplant parmagiano; saltimbocca and veal marsala, finishing with cannelloni, spumoni and tortoni. "

"Outstanding food and service. The secret of good Italian cuisine is the sauces, and Lucky's chef is an artist. After dinner, have a "cafe d'amore"--a cappuccino using a secret recipe known only to Lucky. "

The Big Fish Grille Steak & Fish House: Formerly The Dough Roller

by grandmaR Updated Jun 16, 2006

Inside of the restaurant

The Dough Roller has been transformed into the Big Fish. I don't think this has anything to do with the Snakehead Fish which was first found in a pond here in Crofton. The Big Fish recently paid $15,291 to put up their sign according to the building permit.

This place used to be a Dough Roller, which according to their literature, was originally on the Eastern Shore in Ocean City. For some unknown reason, they decided Crofton would be a good place to open another restaurant.

I haven't been to the one of the Eastern Shore, but I wasn't too impressed with this one. We've been a couple of times. The food was ordinary (pizza, pasta and middle American type food), and the prices and service were also sort of middle of the road. There were a lot of families with children there. We haven't been tempted to make this one of our regular stops.

The Dough Roller was a grey and white beachy sort of place. The Big Fish is a bright neon color type place with Happy Hour and sports TVs

Favorite Dish: We stopped here on our way home in April 2006. The food was good, but more expensive than we are accustommed to getting.

LA Fiesta Restaurant: Former Drive-in Restaurant and Bank

by grandmaR Updated Jun 16, 2006

Mexican Pizza appetizer $7.95

This building was originally either a drive-in restaurant or a drive-in bank and the restaurant was back in the shopping center. After the original tenant left, the restaurant moved over to the drive-in building.

It's been redecorated with the usual Mexican type decor and the drive in window has been taken out, but the rest rooms are still off the entrance.

For 8 years, we drove back and forth between Leonardtown and Baltimore almost every weekend. This was one of our favorite places to stop and eat.

Favorite Dish: Bob usually gets the taco platter. I usually get quesidillas or Mexican pizza or chilies rellino. And I almost always get fried ice cream.

On our last visit, I had the Mexican pizza to leave room for the fried ice cream, and our total bill for dinner including tip was $29.42

Boston Market (Express): Better than the average drive-through

by grandmaR Updated Jul 10, 2003

From the car in the drive-in

This is the only drive-in Boston Market that I have ever seen. It used to be a Roy Rogers.

Favorite Dish: I ate there this past Sat. and I got meatloaf (which I love but very seldom get), mac and cheese (sort of gouey here), and creamed spinach (which I don't make because it is too much trouble, but reminds me very much of my mom's homemade spinach soup).

I love all the vegetables that are available here - it is hard to choose.

I got lemonade to drink.

If there is a weakness in the menu it is in the dessert end. I like my desserts.

Chesapeake Bagel Bakery: Bagels and Sandwiches

by grandmaR Written Jul 4, 2003
    Outside tables

In the same shopping center with La Fiesta and Hunan Express is an outlet of the Chesapeake Bagel Bakery. I have not been to this particular one.

I think it interesting that both Jaspers, La Fiesta and Hunan Express all are in Crofton, that this that is in the same shopping center is in Gambrills. So I've put it in Crofton.

Favorite Dish: I like the bagels and the bagel sandwiches but I think they are right expensive for the amount of food you get. You can eat outside here if the weather is good enough.

Hunan Express: Take-out Chinese

by grandmaR Written Jul 4, 2003
    Restaurant from southbound side

This was the original location of La Fiesta. We ate here once when it was so late that almost everything else was closed. You can eat there, but most of their business is take-out.

This section of the shopping center allows only northbound traffic right in front of the restaurant. You have to go south and then turn around the center divider to get in.

Uncle Nicky's: A non-chain Drive-In

by grandmaR Updated Jul 4, 2003
    Uncle Nicky's

We ate here once on a coupon. I think we may have gone one more time.

Bob hated it so much that even though it has changed hands since then, if I want to go to someplace that I don't think he will like, all I have to do is threaten him with Uncle Nicky's and he will agree to the other place.

It's primarily a BBQ place - pit beef etc. Their sign says that they also cater.

Favorite Dish: We have not tried the drive-through window, but I can't see that it would work that well unless it was for take-out and you phoned ahead.

Christopher's Restaurant: South Side of Route 3

by grandmaR Updated Jun 26, 2003
    Inset - Christopher and bartender

When we first started driving back and forth each weekend and stopped here it was a BBQ restaurant. Very much a diner type place

Then it was replaced by a fancier restaurant which featured a raw bar and with Chesapeake Bay scenes on the wall and even in the rest rooms- we ate here with a coupon.

I'm not sure if the restaurant was call Christopher's then or something else.

We haven't eaten here in some time as it is a little more upscale than where we usually eat.

Favorite Dish: From their menu:

Entrees - All served with House Salad

Grilled Chicken Champagne..................14.00
    With a timbale of arborio rice, baby spinach and champagne-tarragon cream.

Peppercorn Crusted New York Strip....19.00
    With Louisiana brown sauce and fried tobacco onions. Served with roasted garlic mashed potoatos.

Applewood Smoked Baby Back Ribs....17.00
    With our dill cole slaw and roasted garlic mashed potatos.

New Orleans Pork Loin.........................15.00
    With apricot Creole mustard sauce, wilted greens and spicy pecans. Served with roasted garlic mashed potatos.

Pan Roasted Lobster Jambalaya............28.00
    In Cajun andouille tomato sauce, paired with tasso rice and crawfish butter croutons.

Black Olive Crusted Salmon Filet........19.00
    With a tomato caper ragout, fried risotto croquette and garlic aioli.

Char-Grilled Filet Mignon....................22.00
    With wild mushroom demi glace, Maytag bleu cheese and back truffle oil. Served with roasted garlic mashed potatos.

Blackened Red Snapper.........................19.00
    With war char tomato salsa, fried leek hay and aioli sauce. Served with roasted garlic mashed potoatos.

Grilled Bratwurst...................................15.00
    With fresh sauerkraut, roasted garlic mashed potatos and apple - brandy glaze.

Barbecue Pecan Crusted Veal Chop.....25.00
    With grilled asparagus red wine sauce and risotto.

Grilled Ahi Tuna.....................................19.00
    With our white balsamic-soy glaze, shiitake mushroom salad and Chinese noodle cake.

Mahi Mahi...............................................19.00
    With caramelized onion vinaigrette, walnut pesto and pancetta potato salad.

Instant Answers: Crofton

Comments

Crofton Travel Guide

Crofton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Crofton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Crofton sightseeing.