Laurel Travel Guide

Laurel Things to Do

by Rixie Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you are interested in small-town history, stop by the museum operated by the Laurel Historical Society. The Laurel Museum is a three-story, red brick building that originally provided housing for mill workers and their families.

Permanent and changing exhibits of artifacts, documents, and photographs trace the town's history from textile mill to suburb. The area next to the gift shop downstairs has been restored to show what a typical mill worker's home looked like in the 1840s.

Open Wednesdays 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Fridays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and Sundays 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.

Laurel Hotels

• Comfort Suites Laurel Lakes

14402 Laurel Pl, Laurel, MD 20707

Good for: Solo

• Fairfield Inn By Marriott Laurel,...

13700 Baltimore Ave, Laurel, MD 20707

Good for: Business

Laurel Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

My wife and I are big fans of Bob Evans Restuarants. They are a chain and can be found scattered throughout the country. I would call the food here a cross between IHOP and Cracker Barrel. The food here is always very good and inexpensive. We often stop during a roadtrip for a nice filling breakfast.

Bob Evans has some excellent homestyle country cooking. My wife and I enjoy this chain and have always found the food to be quite delicious. Their menu has great items like country fried steak, steak and eggs, pancakes, butermilk bicuits and other tasty breakfast items as well as lunch and dinner.

We usually arrive early in the morning on the way home from D.C. and it is usually jam packed. Our last vist here was in February 2014. Both of us were rather hungry and couldn't wait to have our favorite area breakfast. We were seated at the last available table and a line quickly formed behind us. After perusing their breakfast offerings we were ready to place our order. I chose the steak and eggs combo meal that came with buttermilk pancakes or biscuits. I chose the biscuits. My wife chose an order of their shreded potatoes and two butermilk biscuits. For a beverage my wife ordered their caramel cappucino; which has unlimited free refils.

Our food took less than ten minutes to arrive and we were glad it did; we were starving. My steak and eggs were quite nice. The meat was very tasty. I loved my biscuits; they are heaven. My wife loved her buttermilk biscuits as always and her shredded potatoes. We ordered a side of bacon to share. I must say thier potatoes are quite good and always a favorite of mine. The caramel cappucino is always a hit with my wife and she often orders a refill.

Food was good, service was quick and friendly and the price never breaks the bank. I was glad to discover a Bob Evans so conveniently located off the highway. We are often roadtripping this way so it's good to have a place to stop for a meal.

Favorite Dish: The bicuits are a must at any visit,. Their steak and eggs, omlets and cinnamon pancakes are incredibly good. Try one of their flavored cappucinos if you are a fan of coffee.

Biscuits, bacon and shredded potatoes Steak and eggs and biscuits Caramel Cappucino

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

I retired in Feb 2000, and I asked that my retirement lunch be at Don Pablo's rather than Ruby Tuesday where they usually had them. Unfortunately, I lost the digital pictures that I took, and the film camera pictures were light streaked, so the only reasonable one I have is the one of the Assistant Commissioner of MOSH.

I also went there with my husband for dinner once.

Don Pablo's is a chain which has restaurants along the east coast, in MI, TX and OK.

Favorite Dish: For lunch they have fajitas, salad, soup, sandwiches, burgers and burritos. They also have a children's menu, and also do items to go.

I actually had steak when I was there and it was very good. At dinner they also have burritos & chimichangas. They are currently advertising combos (and they also have a make-your-own-combo option)

El Matador
    Chicken flautas, one cheese & onion enchilada, topped with Sante Fe red chile sauce, a crispy beef taco and a chicken enchilada topped with sour cream sauce and real sour cream.....9.39

Conquistador
    Beef taquitos, chicken flautas, one Mama's skinny enchilada, one mini beef burrito, a crispy beef taco and a soft chicken fajita taco.....10.49

Primo Combo - Numero Uno Favorito
    A crispy steak fajita taco, soft chicken fajita taco with sauteed onions and peppers and a chicken enchilada topped with sour cream sauce. Served with queso, sour cream, guacamole, Pico de Gallo and pickled jalapeno slices.....8.69

Asst. Commissioner at my retirement lunch
    • Business Travel

by Rixie Updated Sep 29, 2007

This is a plain little restaurant with a dark interior, but don't let its unimpressive looks put you off: the food here is really good. El Charro serves Mexican and Salvadoran dishes, but it's worth giving the Salvadoran specialties a try.

I was here with some VT friends, and we enjoyed our meal.

Favorite Dish: The sample platter of Salvadoran appetizers that our waiter recommended was interesting and tasty -- we filled up so much on them that we almost didn't have room for the main course.

I had a Salvadoran dish: boneless chicken in a cream sauce, with rice. Delicious!

littlesam1, me, baltomike, ellielou, and hikerpark Wall decorations, El Charro
    • Seniors

Laurel Shopping

by Rixie Updated Sep 30, 2007

There's not much shopping variety in Laurel proper ever since the Laurel Mall tanked, but Arundel Mills Mall, 20 minutes away, is one of the best shopping malls I've been to. It's enormous (1.3 million square feet) but tasteful, built in colorful "neighborhoods," each with ample rest areas for weary shoppers. One neighborhood, for example has rocking chairs, and another has armchairs.

There's a great food court, whose ceiling is encircled by a miniature train showing the stations that used to exist in the area, a huge Muvico movie theater, and a Medieval Times dinner banquet.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

Laurel Off The Beaten Path

by Rixie Updated Apr 4, 2011

The National Cryptologic Museum offers visitors the rare opportunity to learn the inside scoop on real-life war and spy stories such as the U-2 incident, the USS Pueblo, Navajo Code Talkers, and the so-called unbreakable German Enigma machine. There are even code and cipher artifacts from the American Civil War.

The museum is operated by the hush-hush National Security Agency (NSA), a fact that in itself is mind-boggling. During the Cold War days, a place like this could never have existed.

I encourage anyone with an interest in history to seek out this little-known museum. It's a wealth of information. I have been there twice and learned something new each time. On my last visit, our guide was a retired NSA employee who tailored his tour to our interest in World War II.

Open Monday-Friday, 9:00-4:00, and on first and third Saturdays, 10:00-2:00. Closed on Sundays and Federal holidays. Call ahead to arrange group tours. Free admission. Driving directions on the website.

by Rixie Updated Sep 30, 2007

When the Wright Brothers are mentioned, people immediately think of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. It is not widely known that in 1909 they started an airport in College Park, Maryland, to train the first military pilots.

The airport is now the College Park Aviation Museum, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, located near the University of Maryland's main campus. Visitors are greeted by a talking mannequin of Wilbur Wright, who moves, blinks, and rolls his eyes, and there are two levels of aviation exhibits. It was fascinating to read that in those early days of flying, a pilot could solo after three hours of instruction, and interesting, too, to see how quickly aeronautical engineering progressed between 1909 and World War I.

This is a very kid-friendly museum: there are hands-on exhibits, arts and crafts, and play areas where children can dress up as pilots and sit in toy planes.

Okay, so I'm an overgrown kid, too Jackets and helmets for pint-sized pilots Fun for kids of all ages Ooh, I want that propeller

• Laurel Hotels

20 Hotels in Laurel

Instant Answers: Laurel

Comments

Laurel Travel Guide
Map of Laurel