Leonardtown Restaurants

Doors from inside

Most Recent Restaurants in Leonardtown

The Rex: Formerly El Cerro Grande

by grandmaR Updated Nov 6, 2014

This restaurant is in a building which was formerly a movie theatre. After that it was called Ye Old Ice Cream Parlour and Restaurant. We liked Ye Old Ice Cream Parlour. Then it was Nooks and Monks. Not so much of a fan of Nooks and Monks.
    Then it was a Mexican Restaurant - El Cerro Grande. and El Cerro Grande was one of our favorites. We were going here about once a month on average, because we really like it. Bob usually has one of the combo dinners, and I usually order a couple of items la carte. We've both decided that we really like pina coladas and we usually each had a virgin one of those.

Now it is The Rex - a restaurant based on the old move theatre theme. The whole place is painted black and there are TV screens all playing an old movie. I wish I knew what it was - I gathered it was during WWII and there seemed to be a lot of climbing in and out of windows and hiding.

I don't think this will be one of our favorites anymore. For one thing, the only place to sit is on high stools and while that makes things look very spiffy, it is uncomfortable for me to climb onto a stool. Also it is noisy and expensive. Bob gave the waitress a $50 bill and that covered the meal and the tip with nothing over.

Instead of going in through what used to be the lobby, they now have the entrance through the big windows on the street. You seat yourself. Apparently the old area that was the entrance also has seating - I didn't see that when I went in.

Favorite Dish: I had the bacon crab cake sandwich and the macaroni salad. It was on a crescent roll which was really too flimsy for the crab cake and I didn't like the roasted tomatoes that were on it. It was $17.50. I also had a cup of spinach, avacodo and blue cheese soup which was very good although it had some doughy lumps in it that weren't cheese. It was $5.00. I finished up with the Key Lime pie which was good and not too large.

Bob had a turkey BLT and the house salad.

We each brought home half of our sandwich and some of the salad. The crab cake was good cold and that way I could really appreciate the flavors. The bacon was crispy which is the way Bob likes it. He just mixed both salads together and gave us each half. It was really good that way.

The Rex at night My bacon crabcake sandwich Key Lime pie Bar area Doors from inside

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Closed and Dark (Sakura Bar & Grill): Formerly Rustic River Bar&Grill and Arizona Pizza

by grandmaR Updated Nov 6, 2014

It seems to be closed now. We will see if it comes back as something else.

When this was Arizona Pizza we ate here twice - both times on the way home from a trip. Bob wasn't particularly impressed with it the first time, but I was able to persuade him to come again with our granddaughter.

Then it was the Rustic River Bar & Grill. They still have TVs at each table, so it has a kind of sports bar atmosphere inside.

Then it was Sakura Bar & Grill. Bob doesn't like sushi or eastern food so we never go to try it out.

Favorite Dish: The first Arizona Pizza visit Bob ordered the meatball sub. I ordered some kind of pasta (lasagna?) and the cheesey bread but there was too much for me to eat it all, and Bob doesn't like it. It was also IIRC somewhat salty.

The second time we came with our granddaughter and she ordered the $5.00 personal pan pizza deal (photo 2), and I ordered a stromboli. Bob ordered the same as last time - the meatball sub. The menu still has pizza on it.

The first visit after the restaurant changed hands, I ordered the special Savour Saint Mary's dishes of Fried Green Tomatoes (appetizer), and a soft crab sandwich (photo). Bob had a shrimp po'boy. Each of them came with a side. Bob had potato salad and I had corn bread (photo 5)

New sign outside Inside of the restaurant Personal pizza $5.00 Fried soft crab sandwich skillet of corn bread
    • Business Travel

Arby's: Curly Cheese Fries

by grandmaR Written Oct 27, 2013

We had a coupon for Arby's which is not one of Bob's favorites. I had thought I might get the smokehouse brisket (limited time offer). But instead I got the French Dip which I ordered without the cheese as I am not fond of Swiss.

Favorite Dish: I love the curly cheese fries, but I did not get them this time. I did get the Salted Caramel Shake which was very good but I didn't understand what the salt was for. Bob got a regular chocolate shake and chicken tenders. He couldn't eat all the chicken tenders and I only ate half of my French dip, so we had meat for a second meal the next day.

Salted Caramel Shake Fries for Bob (not curly) Bob's chicken tenders My French dip without the Swiss Bob's chocolate shake

Wendy's: Coupon Visit

by grandmaR Written Sep 10, 2013

Because we had some coupons, we ate at Wendy's on Wednesday. Bob likes the Frosty's

Wendy's is not open for breakfast, but ours is open until midnight or later on weekends

Favorite Dish: I had two small cheeseburgers and lemonade. Bob had the same and a Frosty. We both had fries

Fries Junor cheeseburger Bob waiting for the order Frosty Menu board

Shopping Center north of town: Fast Food Available

by grandmaR Updated Sep 10, 2013

Everyone should be able to find something to their taste to eat in Leonardtown. Even though Luciano's Pizza, Duke's Bar, Ye Olde Ice Cream Shoppe, Nooks and Monks, Hardees, Linda's Cafe on the Square, and 4 Star Pizza (which is now Olde Town Pub) have closed, there are still plenty of places to satisfy your appetite.

Off the top of my head, I can list two fancy restaurants (Café des Artistes and The Front Porch), three oriental food restaurants (Happy Dragon, Hong Kong Buffet and Jeng OGA'S Asian Cuisine), two pizza places (Ledo's and Papa John's Pizza), a seafood place (Thompson's Corner Kafe), two Mexican restaurants (El Cerro Grande and Salsa's Mexican Cafe), several lunch places like the County Seat Restaurant which also now does dinner, two Tea Room Cafe type places, Carousel's which serves ice cream and lunches, a place for getting buffalo wings, a coffee shop, and Wendy's, Arby's Subway, McDonalds or Taco Bell-KFC.

Favorite Dish: McDonalds is the default place to go or I go there if I want a McFlurry. I also like their apple dippers. Sometimes I go on the way to or from the gym to reward myself for being good.

Subway - I almost never go here. Basically I don't like to wait and I don't like the toppings and I can get a sandwich at home. If we can't find another place to eat when we are traveling we will go to Subway. This is the only one of these that doesn't have a drive-through

I like Taco Bell-KFC. I like the honey BBQ wings but I don't know whether they have them anymore. Also I like the Mexican pizza.

Wendy's is a favorite of Bob's. I like the stuffed potatoes in the winter and the taco salad. He doesn't like Arby's as well as I do. I like the cheese curly fries

McDonald Arby (now closed) Subway store in Connecticutt Looking through Arby's windows KFC sign in NC

Guenther's Bistro: Wine & Spirits plus

by grandmaR Updated Mar 23, 2013

This is a liquor store and they serve lunch Monday through Friday and dinner on the weekends. I had a coupon for this place and wanted to go eat there, but it is only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday for dinner and we usually go out to eat on Wednesday. So when a friend called and suggested we go to a funeral viewing on Thursday evening, I said we should go out to eat together afterward.

They had eaten here before and said the food was good and inexpensive. There are two or three other restaurants in this little shopping center, not counting Ledo's Pizza

It is a very small place with about 15 tables, and has a very short menu. They had a special - two entrees and one of either an appetizer or a desert for $35.00. But my husband didn't want any of the entrees on the specials menu, so we didn't get that.

Favorite Dish: My husband had a salad because he thought a full entree would be too much. He got Thai Basil Chicken Salad which he said was something like Tandori Chicken. (He isn't a fan of Oriental food.) I got the corned beef and cabbage, but it was a disappointment. The corned beef was in thick slabs and the cabbage was tough. Cabbage should be cooked enough so that you don't need a knife to cut it up.

Our friends had a hard time figuring out a dish that wouldn't be shellfish or have feta cheese in the stuffing or have something else that they didn't like. They ended up with a beef dish and a stuffed chicken on pasta.

Bob's Thai Basil salad $9.99 Counter Door from the inside My corned beef and cabbage Our friend's beef and mushrooms $16.99

Hong Kong Buffet: Chinese Buffet & Restaurant with take-out

by grandmaR Updated Nov 5, 2012

Even though we have already been out for dinner once this week on Wednesday, Bob came home late and tired and wanted to go out on Friday too. Where to go on a Friday night where we could eat quickly without a lot of hassle. This place fills the bill.

It is very popular and there were a lot of people there when we arrived. It turned out though, that some of them were waiting for take-out orders, and one was a party of 6, so we were seated immediately, and a couple of minutes later, the lobby was clear even though it was Friday night.

While the walls have photos or drawings and there are pictures in the frosted glass which is at the entrance (see inset) and on the top of the walls between the booths, this is not a place to go for a lot of ambience, or a relaxed candlelit meal.

The waiters really hustle here. The buffet advertises at least 60 items daily with a rotating list of 168 different items. You seldom see an empty or depleted dish.

Favorite Dish: Most people have the buffet as it is an extremely good value for the money. It is $7.95 for all you can eat (children $4.75), and we paid $1 for a pot of tea. There is also a lunch buffet for $5.95@

There are four long buffet tables. One has cold stuff including today a delicious seafood salad, and steamed shrimp, but also includes puddings, fruits and other salads.

The second one has the hot Chinese dishes like General Tso's chicken (my favorite), Happy Family, clams, mussels, stuffed mushrooms and other dishes.

The third one has the soups, and the spinach cheese casserole, boneless bbq spare ribs, fried shrimp, dumplings,lo mein, pizza, and the like.

The fourth table has more American style dishes, and in the back is the soft ice cream and cakes etc for dessert.

I must confess I didn't even get to the 4th table before I was full. You can get the buffet for take-out for $3.95/lb. Or you can order individual items - eat in or take out.

Unfortunately the last time we went, I felt that the food was not as good.

my egg drop and Bob's won ton soups Bob's steamed shrimp my plate which has a mussel, zuchinni, etc. Outside entrance etched glass partition looking toward the entrance

Big Larry's Comic Book Cafe: Formally Aardvarks of Lusby

by grandmaR Updated Nov 5, 2012

I saw Big Larry's in the phone book and could not imagine where it would be. Well, just so you know - it is where the propane store was next to the Leonardtown Post Office. It seems to be a place where the kids come after high school and get ice cream.

Favorite Dish: I went over after I mailed a package last week and asked them for a bacon cheese hot dog and a root beer float. The root beer float came right away, but they were out of hot dog buns and had to wait until they got some more before they could give me my hot dog. It was very good though.

Store front Sign on the side of the building signboard on the sidewalk comic book character in the window side window

Jeng OGA'S Chinese and Japanese Cuisine: Asian Cuisine

by grandmaR Updated Sep 28, 2012

This restaurant has 40 seats, plus a small sushi bar and a Lunch Buffet, which is from 11:00 to 2:30 and includes soup, salad, sushi and Chinese Food Dessert. The lunch buffet is $6.35 plus tax for an adult. They also have a lunch special (Sushi or Sashimi) for $6.95, and you can order take-out

I finally got Bob to come here for dinner. He commented that the ambiance was better than he expected from the outside of the place. They have a fish tank. He had thought it was just for sandwiches or something.

Favorite Dish: I went and had lunch here while I was waiting for the post office employee that I wanted to see to get back from lunch. Among other offerings on the buffet, they had coconut chicken, peanut chicken, BBB, General Tso's chicken, crab won-tons, spring roll, onion shrimp, chow mein, sweet and sour chicken, a diagonal sliced banana with sauce, and many other dishes, plus a broccoli salad, pineapple, pudding, jello, rice, and dumplings. I didn't get the soup, but I had hot tea which didn't taste like cigarette ashes, and it was included. I'm not sure what the Chinese Food Dessert was - there was something like a little Ho Ho on the buffet plus donuts, but it might have been the a fortune cookie they gave me when I checked out.

When we went for dinner the buffet was not operating, so Bob got won ton soup and sweet and sour pork. I had hot tea and the special which was coconut chicken

Oga's from across the street Inside of the restaurant Lunch Buffet - 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tues-Sat Fish tank Coconut chicken and white rice $9.95
    • Business Travel

Salsa's Mexican Cafe: New Mexican

by grandmaR Written Jun 6, 2012

It was our 53rd wedding anniversary (2012) so we went out to dinner. It was a Tuesday which meant that some of the new places I wanted to try were not open, so I decided to try this restaurant which is next to the Leonardtown Grille.

Favorite Dish: They have all the usual suspects. They brought us a spicy-hot tomato based dipping sauce and corn chips right away. Because it was our anniversary, we had virgin pina colada's. Bob had the #7 which was a taco, burrito and beans and rice. I had a la carte items - a cheese quesadilla and a chile relleno. They had something called Mexican cheesecake so I decided to try that instead of the fried ice cream, but it was just a regular cheesecake with chocolate sauce dribbled on it and whipped cream. Service was quick

Storefront Pina Colada Chile Relleno Mexican cheesecake Welcome

The Willows Restaurant and Tavern: Reopened 2011

by grandmaR Updated Jun 6, 2012

This restaurant closed and was for sale (6/08). I do not know if the cook died (she was the backbone of the place) or if the owner died.
    -----------------------------------------------------

We often came here as it is close and the food was good and not too expensive. The previous owner was in a wheelchair

We went fairly shortly after this restaurant re-opened. They didn't have their glassware yet and service was a little disorganized although it was cheerful. They were quite busy on Friday night, and it was a bit noisy.

We went again January 12, 2012 and Bob had cream of crab soup, a shrimp pasta dish and a baked apple. I had the special (prime rib) and took most of the meat home with me. With it I tried the fried green beans and mashed potatoes.

Favorite Dish: Part of their winter 2003 menu was:

Prime Rib Au
    Queen Cut (12 to 14 oz.) was $15.95 now 19.95

Willows Duck $17.95 now Honey Orange Duck $16.95

This time there was a special on soups - I got a cup of seafood chowder an Bob got cream of crab. I got the special of stuffed tilapia, and Bob got a Caribbean seafood salad which he said was too spicy. We both got dessert (and each was $5.99). Bob got the brownie sundae and I had fried apple sundae.

scupture on side wall - more rusty now Bar area My stuffed tilapia $10.95 Bob My seafood chowder $4.00 cup

Corbels: OUT OF BUSINESS

by grandmaR Updated Jun 6, 2012

A victim of the recession? Who knows - it is now The Front Porch

===========================================

This restaurant just opened in a remodeled house. We went this Friday for dinner. We almost couldn't get in because they wanted us to have reservations even though we got there quite early.

Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 11:30-2:30 (Please reserve for parties of 6 or more)
    Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00 - 9:30 (Reservations recommended)
    Brunch: Sunday 10:00 - 2:30

They have big banquet rooms upstairs, and on one side of the entrance is a bar area (photo 5), and on the other is two dining rooms separated by a pocket door. The thresholds at the front door make using a wheelchair difficult.

The other thing about this restaurant is that the individual items are very high priced and the servings, while attractively presented are quite small. Normally we order just a soup and salad or a salad and appetizer and so that is what we did, and we had very little food to eat.

Favorite Dish: Bob had the Sweet Corn and Crab - Creamy Corn Soup, Crab Croquette to start, and I had the Portuguese Chowder - Fresh Fish. Rich Tomato Base, Spanish Chorizo, Idaho potatoes, Spinach, which had salmon in it in a tomato based soup - spicy. Each cup cost $3.75

Then I ordered the $7.59 Roasted and Stuffed Chicken Breast – Stuffed with Wild Rice, Goat Cheese with Roasted Pepper and Corn Salsa appetizer (photo 3), which was tiny. Bob had the Maryland Crab Salad – Jumbo Lump Maryland Blue Crab, Avocado, Fresh Salsa, Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette - $8.25 (photo 2). It was also tiny.

I ate all the bread, but we were still hungry, so I had the Fresh Berry and Cream Tart. This was a small (but thick) pie shell with whipped cream in it and some blueberries and sliced strawberries on the top (photo 4) - $5.25. Bob had the Chocolate Walnut Brownie with Ice Cream. It was also $5.25

Our meal - two cups of soup, two appetizers and two desserts - was $35.78 plus tip.

If we had ordered a regular entree, one of the cheapest ones would have been the Vegetable Medley for $16.25 or the Chicken Pot Pie for $16.95. Mid range dishes were about $18.00 and included Shrimp and Grits or Pork Loin or Seafood Chowder.

The more expensive dishes included the Maryland Crab Cake which would have been $23.75 and the Beef Tenderloin at $25.00

New Restaurant from the street Maryland Crab Salad  $8.25 Stuffed Chicken Breast $7.95 Fresh Berry and Cream Tart $5.25 Pub/Bar side

Leonardtown Grille: Breton Marketplace - Where the IGA Was

by grandmaR Written Mar 15, 2012

I saw that this place had opened up in town, so we tried it out. I noticed on the way in that the 'handicapped' entrance still had about a 2" lip to negotiate between the sidewalk and the parking lot.

This appeared to be somewhat on the order of a sports bar with five or six TVs on one wall (unfortnately with no captions, so no one could see what was going on). They had appetizer, sandwiches, seafood, steaks and ribs. They gave us cornbread (cold) as our bread.

Closed Monday and Tuesday.

Favorite Dish: Bob had the soup of the way which the waitress said was a vegetable tomato based crab soup. Bob said it was a vegetable soup with some little bits of crab sprinkled in it. He also had a small rack of ribs with a baked potato for $12.95. I had the small rack and fried oysters for $19.95. I got cole slaw which was nice and sweet and the house salad as my sides. The house salad was good and the blue cheese dressing had some big lumps of blue cheese in it. The oysters were good but I couldn't finish my ribs either. We didn't have room for dessert. Some of our choices would have been apple pie, turtle cheesecake

Front of the Leonardtown Grille My small rack, fried oysters and cole slaw Bob's vegetable crab soup House salad Sandwich part of the menu

Port of Leonardtown Winery: Chef's Night

by grandmaR Written Jan 27, 2012

On Thursday evenings, the winery holds a wine tasting event in conjunction with food prepared by a local chef. On First Fridays, they have a wine tasting and live music at the winery. They also display the art work of local artists.

The Thursday wine tastings are $10 each for tasting three types of wine and then having the dish prepared by the chef and a glass of your favorite. If you don't drink (like we don't) you can buy bottled water or juice and the dinner is $5.00 each.

Usually there is a fire pit burning outside and you can sit at those tables if you like.

Favorite Dish: We went with friends and the dinner was beef stew and french bread. We don't drink so we had cranberry juice.

Chef behind the buffet Cranberry juice with a small sample of beef stew Beef stew Outdoor seating Inside the winery waiting for a table
    • Wine Tasting
    • Music

• The Willows Restaurant: Strike One!

by LeonardtownResident Updated Jan 23, 2012

Ambience: Not good! Overhead lights were on “full force”, making the place look stark and unromantic. Lights should have been dimmed. Battery operated candles on tables were burnt out. We were there for a 6:30 dinner. HGTV was playing on the TV in the dining room! TV should not be in the dining room… They could have had some soft background music playing… Staff was sitting at the bar, talking down about people (not sure who they were talking about - but it was a conversation better left to their smoke break outside…) They were also talking about a what time to start and cut-off the “take out” menu during the Super Bowl game. We did not need to hear this… Staff conversations do not belong in the dining room.

Service: Our server was very pleasant…. Service was “Good” – but we were the only ones in there!

Food: Not good! The cream of crab soup tasted both “fishy” and “old”. Was not creamy… but looked and tasted more like evaporated milk. The small side salad was barely fresh… nothing special. Iceberg lettuce, and not even the leafy part! Prime Rib – terrible! First it tasted slightly like Lysol… and then tasted like liver. Tough and chewy… Really - the flavor of the prime rib was "unpleasant" beyond words.

Simply not a good experience… We will probably try them again – as we have a 3-strike rule… but, our first experience was definitely a 1st strike.

Instant Answers: Leonardtown

Comments

Leonardtown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Leonardtown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leonardtown sightseeing.