Leonardtown Things to Do

Trees by our garage 2009
  • Tree on the Leonardtown Midle School Grounds
    Tree on the Leonardtown Midle School...
    by grandmaR
    Bounce House with tram in front

Most Recent Things to Do in Leonardtown

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Oyster Festival

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

People on the main fairway looking at soup trailer

Ever since 1967 on the third weekend in October Leonardtown holds the Oyster Festival. There's lots to eat (photo 5 - it isn't just oysters - the Jolly Gents do their BBQ every time) and drink (photo4), rides, a cooking contest, crafts to buy, exhibits, rides for the kids (photo 2), live music (photo 3), and at the end an oyster shucking competition. The winner is the US Oyster Shucking Champion and goes to Ireland to compete over there.

For more information (on entrance fee and food available) see 1998-99-2000 , 2001-02 the 2003 and the 2004 travelogues.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Autumn Colors 2004

by grandmaR Updated Nov 8, 2009

My backyard

Most people think of New England as the prime place to see the trees turn to fall colors. But there are other places where you can see pretty fall colors. The western mountains have fall colors, but they are mostly the yellow of the aspens and contrasted against the dark green of the evergreens.such as in my painting of Colorado of paintings on my home page.

Every fall I try to take some photos of the fall colors around my home. I put some of them under Beauvue and then in 2005, I added 4 more to this page.

In the main picture, the dark green of the invasive vine species (English Ivy) and the green of the lawn contrasts with the leaves of the trees in the ravine behind. This is from my front yard. Other pictures show a red maple on the Leonardtown Middle School grounds, and the trees by the garage

• Eco-Tourism

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Oyster Festival

by DEBBBEDB Updated Jan 29, 2007

Face painting

When we were growing up, there were two times that we went to the fairgrounds which were nearly across the street from the high school. One time was the county fair which was in September. We got out of school on Friday to go to this fair. My oldest child's birthday was about then, and sometimes we'd come back for the fair on his birthday.

The other big annual bash at the fairgrounds was the Oyster Festival in October - the third weekend. We'd all come back to our old hometown and meet at the fairgrounds for a good old nosh. There was enough different foods so that even the picky eaters could find something to eat- everything from soup to ice cream (third picture).

Instant Answers: Leonardtown

Comments

Leonardtown Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Leonardtown things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leonardtown sightseeing.