Mechanicsville Travel Guide

Fried banana

Mechanicsville Restaurants

Sign outside 4 more images

by grandmaR Written Jan 14, 2014

This location was formerly the Good View - also a Chinese restaurant.

We had coupons so we came up to Mechanicsville for our weekly diner out. This place does a good take-out business also.

There are a few tables and the lady at the desk had to clean one of them off. We were led to our table by a little girl - it looked like the table in the entrance by the phone area was where children had been doing their homework.

Favorite Dish: Bob had sweet and sour chicken, and I had the Teriyaki chicken special. It was very good, but I wished I had picked General Tso's chicken. They were out of fried ice cream, so I got fried banana. We had plenty of chicken and banana to take home and had a whole second meal the next day with the leftovers.

Drift Inn on Thursday

by grandmaR Updated Feb 24, 2010

We started out for our weekly dinner out, and Bob and I had a missed communication. I meant to go to the Sandgates Inn and he thought I wanted to go to the Drift Inn. But it was a Thursday and the Drift Inn isn't open on Thursday.

Seafood & carryout available. Open April–October, Friday, Saturday & Sunday

Favorite Dish: Primarily a crab house. This is written up under Horse Landing, which is where it is located, although the PO address is Mechanicsville.

Sign out front 4 more images

by grandmaR Updated Aug 31, 2008

When Bob asked me whether I wanted to go out to dinner, I said yes and tried to figure out where we had not been that would be OK on Saturday night. There was a review of Rick's in the local paper, so I suggested that. Bob said he had looked for it and hadn't found it, but he had missed the fact that it was in Mechanicsville and was the former Copsey's Seafood. We had eaten here before when it was Copsey's, but it was some time ago.

When we got there, there were two doors - one to buy seafood to take home to cook and one for the restaurant.

The sign outside said

Open 7 Days
    Catering Raw Bar & Crab Feast
    Oysters/Shrimp/Steaks

Then the removable letter board underneath said

All you can eat crabs nightly 4-8 $25.95
    3 doz crabs to go
    Males $75 Females $38

We went in through the restaurant door, and the sign said to seat yourself. Many of the people seemed to have tables covered with brown paper and they were eating crabs. One of the waitresses cleared off a table for us.

Inside the signs said:

1 doz Crabs $42.00.

We couldn't read the sign very well and thought it said $12.00, so the price of $42 was a shock. Bob thought he couldn't eat a whole dozen and he thought that a dozen between us at $12 would be a better deal than the all-you-can-eat, but actually for the $42.00 price, he could eat just a little over a half dozen and break even.

Favorite Dish: The board inside also advertised specials, so I ordered the cream of crab soup ($5.95 for a cup) and the stuffed rockfish dinner for $18.95. It was to come with two sides, and I ordered potato salad and a tossed salad. Bob decided to order the steamed shrimp off the regular menu for $13.95. He ordered cole slaw and applesauce as his sides.

My soup came and was good although I thought it a bit salty at first.

When the entrees came, the server told me that I didn't have stuffed rockfish, I had stuffed flounder which would have been $17.95. We got three sides. I got the cole slaw and a roll, and Bob got the potato salad and applesauce. I never got the salad, which would have been extra. My fish (whichever it was) was good. Bob had so many shrimp that he almost couldn't finish them, and I ate some of his potato salad. I then had bread pudding for dessert while Bob was still finishing his shrimp. That was $3.50.

Our bill (which says Copsey's Seafood on it) before tip (including tax) was $47.81. So you figure out whether I had rockfish or flounder.

• Seniors

Mechanicsville Nightlife

Bert's signature car decoration

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Every Friday night all the antique, vintage, classic and custom cars in the area congregate at Berts.

Berts is also a restaurant - drive-in type food - sandwiches and ice cream.

Mechanicsville Shopping

Ridgell's Gas station

by grandmaR Written Sep 19, 2004

Except in New Jersey, most gas stations now are self-service. This one is not. It is all Full Service with folks to pump the gas for you.

What to buy: Now that gas prices are going through the roof, travelers need to know where the cheapest place to buy their fuel is. This is not always the cheapest, but it is often very close even though it is full serve. This may be because Ridgell is a distributor with more than just this gas station going for him.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Mechanicsville

Comments

Mechanicsville Travel Guide
Map of Mechanicsville