Northeast Heights Travel Guide

Chesapeake Bay from Northeast Port
  • Residential Street in Northeast, Maryland
    Residential Street in Northeast,...
    Home in Northeast, MD

Northeast Heights Things to Do

Northeast River Parkland 3 more images

by atufft Written Aug 9, 2009

The quieter waterways of the Northeast River are popular with those fishing. Catfish is the most common catch. Geese and other water fowl are also common here, as well as folks in canoes, and such.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

Northeast, MD parkland waterfront 4 more images

by atufft Written Aug 9, 2009

The Northeast River has a long bay at the end of the larger Chesapeake Bay. The rains the had fallen that morning were much appreciated by the crab fisherman, so I was told, because the crabs migrate north toward fresh water througout the summer. The rains bring freshwater and good crab fishing. We walked our dog along the waterfront which has lawn areas right down to the waterline. Our dog played with local dogs, and some local boys...

• National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

Downtown Northeast, Maryland 2 more images

by atufft Written Aug 9, 2009

There are several architectural gems downtown that are restored given over to boutique shops as well as restaurants. There are several bait shops too, one of which has a vending machine for those fishing after the shop has closed.

Northeast Heights Restaurants

Woody's Blue Crab and Crab Cakes 4 more images

by atufft Written Aug 9, 2009

I stumbled upon Woody's with an iPhone Ap, the most unlikely method of finding a decent place to eat. But, given the location in the small town on the Chesapeake Bay called Northeast, just 8 miles from where we were, I rolled the dice and drove there. Woody's is an informal crab shack sort of place with plenty of local beers on tap and in the bottle, but the selection of crab and seafood extends beyond just the local catch. Even so, I wasn't interested in Alaskan King Crab or Mahi Mahi Tuna. I wanted authentic Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab. These crabs aren't the biggest, but they offer a lot in flavor. I also ordered Woody's versions of crab bisque soup and crab cakes. The soup was very creamy and thick with crab. The crab cakes were the most crab filled cakes I've ever eaten. I didn't know how they do it, but I didn't detect any bread crumbs or other filler to glue the huge crab flakes together into four inch round cakes. We ordered just six Blue Crabs, which was enough for our needs. Woody's has a special nutmeg-red pepper-salt that is used widely to season the crab bisque soup and boiled crabs. To wash this all down, I consummed a bottle of Delware's Dogfish beer, which is a medium body brew ideal for the occasion. Our price? $65- For this kind of culinary adventure, I've paid more. Next door is Woody's Ice Cream Parlor if you have room for fresh made ice cream on a waffle cone. We did that after the walk around town, trying to burn off our crab lunch.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Northeast Heights

Comments

Northeast Heights Travel Guide
Map of Northeast Heights