Port Tobacco was colonized by the English in 1634 and became a major port. When Charles County was created, Port Tobacco became the original county seat in 1658. The original courthouse was built around 1729, but was destroyed in 1808 by a windstorm. The rebuilt courthouse was burned in 1892, and the county seat moved to nearby La Plata in 1895....more
The Catslide House was constructed in 1720. It is named for the roof, which is slanted in the back to accommodate an addition that was incorporated into the structure sometime in the past. It was so steep, a cat would slide off. The house is owned by the Society for the Preservation of Port Tobacco, and once held a museum, but is now used by the...more
St. Ignatius Catholic Church stands in the middle of Church Point State Park on a high knoll offering a scenic vista over part of the Potomac River. The slope below the church is occupied by a historic cemetery, while attached to the rear of the church is St. Thomas Manor. St. Ignatius Catholic Church was established in 1641, and has been in...more
John Hanson was the first President of the United States of America under the Articles of Confederation (1781-1782), before the adoption of the US Constitution and the presidency of George Washington. Because of this, many people claim he is the true first President of the county, though under the Articles of Confederation, the "president" was part...more
John Wilkes Booth was born in Bel Air Maryland, outside of Baltimore, in 1838 to parents that had immigrated to the US from Britain just 17 years earlier. The Booth's Bel Aire farm had a number of slaves, and Booth's father was an actor. Booth, too, became an actor, becoming established in the Richmond theaters in the later 1850s. In 1859 Booth was...more
Rose Hill is a historic plantation just north of Port Tobacco that dates from 1715. The plantation called Rose Hill was created around 1780 by Dr. Gustavus Brown, who purchased and combined four neighboring tracts of land. Brown built the main home on the property around 1783. The house has been restored twice since the early 1900s.Two plaques have...more
The site at Saint Thomas Manor served as the burial-place of many Jesuit priests, the elder and younger Samuel Mudd, and several soldiers laid to rest here during the American Revolution.A brass plaque near the cemetery tells the story of the church and the attached manor house:Saint Ignatius ChurchSaint Thomas ManorThe manor land was acquiredin...more
Saint Thomas Manor as built in 1741 alongside Saint Ignatius Church as the home of the leader of the Maryland Jesuit Mission. The manor was occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, and the interior of the manor and church were destroyed by fire in 1866. In 1868, the interiors of both were rebuilt and are still in use today.A historical marker...more
In June of 2009 students from Heidelberg College in Tiffin, Ohio conducted an archeological dig in the historic village of Port Tobacco, Maryland. During this month or two-long dig, the archeologists, students, local historians, and volunteers discovered the ruins of an old blacksmiths shop, what they hope is part of the Indian King Hotel, and...more
The Chimney House was built in 1750 and is notable for its two tall brick smokestacks. According to legend, behind Chimney House was a carriage shop that belonged to George Atzerodt. Atzerodt was not only a town resident, but also a conspirator in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and was one of four people executed after the President's death....more
Stagg Hall was built about 1732 or 1740 depending on the source. In older photos, the building has a front porch, but that has since been removed. It was built for John Parnham, a local Port Tobacco merchant, but may have had a different use later as the name is ambiguous. The Maryland Historic Trust notes that the interior of Stagg Hall is...more
Thomas Stone was one of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence in 1976, and one of just four signatories from the state of Maryland. He later worked on the committee that formed the Articles of Confederation in 1777, and he was a temporary, acting "President of the United States in Congress" under the Articles of Confederation in...more
The Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge is a 1.7-mile bridge that enables US Route 301 to cross the Potomac between Maryland and Virginia. The bridge was completed in 1940 and it serves some 6.5 million cars annually, way too many for this narrow two-lane structure. The toll in the southbound direction is $3 per car, with no toll northbound.
As of 2006 there were plans being discussed to upgrade this bottleneck on regional transportation.
Here's a map of the Governor Nice Bridge