Rockville Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Rockville

Timpano's Italian & Chophouse: Timpano's Italian & Chophouse

by TravellerMel Updated Jun 19, 2014

Came here for lunch one day during my week of training. It is a very nice place - the staff was friendly, and very helpful. When we told our waitress that we had an hour for lunch, she made sure we had our food & bill quickly.

They offer a "Lunch Trio" for $15 - pick one item from three sections. I had the filet mignon, caesar salad, and garlic mashed potatoes - everything was delicious! Definitely more elegant dining than I am used to for lunch, but thank goodness Chik-fil-A was too crowded that day! ;-)

El Patio: I love the new location

by GentleSpirit Written Aug 24, 2013

photo courtesy of El Patio

El Patio used to be a great place to watch soccer (futbol) games but its previous location, with lousy parking and very little space, made it difficult to enjoy a meal there.

El Patio is one of the few Argentine restaurants in the Washington area and has served for a long time as the meeting place for Argentines living in this part of the region.

The first thing you notice with the new location is the great amount of space it has. Its nicely decorated in a somewhat rustic, semi colonial style with a large selection of wines at the rear. .

I was a bit surprised that on a Saturday at lunchtime it was basically full the whole time we were there.

Service was good. The menu has expanded somewhat from the last time I looked. The food was overall very good, portions were a bit on the generous side and price was very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: appetizers- chorizo (its fabulous!)
    empanadas are always good, but they are kinda small.
    Sandiwches- migas!!!
    Main plates- great selection of pasta!
    Go for the asado! Highly recommended, the chorizo, bife is wonderful

Deserts- I tried the bread pudding today, and it was probably the best I have ever had.
    With any of the deserts you can get it with dulce de leche on, but be aware that it is very sweet and the calorie count will go into orbit.

• Wine Tasting

• alycat's Profile Photo

Chef Geoff's: There is something called intrinsically American!

by alycat Written Aug 10, 2013
    Croque Madame

Chef Geoff's is the brainchild of a local chef Geoff, which opened its first branch in 2000. It has opened a few branches around the DC metro area since. We went to the one in Rockville and it has very interesting decor and interiors. Firstly, the restaurants' exterior does not give away the charm and sophistication of its interiors. The menu changes every season; summer, spring and fall. Our brunch was on a Thursday noon to celebrate Eid, and I was surprised to see so many people at that time of the day, almost a full house.

As patrons, we had too many specifications, no alcohol, no red meat, no pork, just seafood. And the waitress and chef were patient enough to bring a meal that stuck exactly to our description! I was worried that making too many changes in the recipe would 'un-Americanize' the experience, but it was just awesome, the taste and flavors, were intact. We loved this place and would definitely come here again, since its so close to home; the only concern being the price, its a fancy and pricey place to have a meal too often!!

Favorite Dish: To satiate myself, I had Croque Madame which has gruyere, fried egg, tomato marmalade, house fries, baby lettuces, minus the ham! The bread was crunchy and wonderfully done with the melted gruyere, and lettuce was fresh.

For a foodie, the good thing about going to eat with family and friends is that you can take a bite and share food from everyone's plate. So I also got to eat potato crusted rainbow trout with lentils, fennel, leeks, shallots, tarragon butter, and fish & chips with fish, spicy remoulade, cole slaw, old bay fries.

For dessert (shared again :) ) we had ricotta donuts lemon, cherry, and chocolate sauce and flourless chocolate cake blackberry sorbet. Great experience, highly recommended!

Cava Mezze: Fast paced Mid-eastern fare

by alycat Updated Apr 3, 2013
    See my shrimp??? oh cos its dark!

We had had a meal at one of their locations in Tysons Corner and wanted to grab a quick one close to our home, but we were very surprised and shocked that this location looked nothing like the one in Tysons.

It is located in a quiet neighborhood in a nice new shopping mall, but once we were inside the place it felt like we were in a busy New York restro in downtown Manhattan. The place is loud, serves alcohol, and has people and tables falling over each other. Well, not literally, but the table next to you is so close you can hear their conversation. Service is fast paced, the food servings are small, its difficult to converse with the other person without shouting, place is dark, but wonderful food and Im sorry I might not come here again!

Not a good place for a business meeting, first date, or formal meetings.

Favorite Dish: They serve bread and spicy sauce and olive oil as starters, complimentary on the house. Very good, I mean really good. We filled up just on that for dinner

We ordered roasted eggplant, which was awesome. Made from red pepper , garlic, and herbs, this was a great starter. Then did Zucchini Fritters, made of aged barrell feta, herbs, and tzatziki which gives it the extra flavor.

Then finally, the grand finale with Opa Opa Shrimp. This was so good and was drowned in cream, dill, tomatoes, and onions. I've never seen shrimp treated so amazingly before.

This place is highly recommended for all those who love eating in a loud fast paced environment, not me. I will look for the same food in a different location!

• Singles

Taste of Saigon: French-Vietnamese food

by GentleSpirit Updated Mar 31, 2013

Taste of Saigon is in Rockvile Town Center, right by the new Rockville Library and the Fire Station.

You walk into the restaurant and notice the somewhat low lighting, which would be a factor except that there is great lighting from the outside. The decor is somewhat on the minimalist side-some fantastic orchids are what i noticed most.

The food is excellent! At lunchtime it is busy, but not usually so packed that you have to wait for a table. I have always found the service to be excellent. The kitchen works very efficiently. It's easy to go there during lunch hour without having to hurry.

Prices are reasonable, particularly at lunch. Portions are good sized without being too large or small. There is good consistency, the food will be the same every time you come.

Favorite Dish: Appetizers- I usually don't have any, but they have a variety of spring rolls. Calamari is very good (ask for the hot sauce)

Soups-
    -Asparagus and Crabmeat soup- I like it! Not as salty as many other places tend to make this sort of soup.
    - Lemongrass Seafood Soup- similar to the Thai Tom Yum though not as hot.

-MaTu Signature. I like it with chicken but you can get it with shrimp and others. The black pepper sauce is delicious. Get the brown rice.
    -Lemongrass Chicken- this is a little "hotter"with some peppers. Very tasty
    -Ginger Chicken- a bit sweeter, but still very good
    They have a lot of seafood and fish on the menu, some looks very good

Benjarong Thai Restaurant

by GentleSpirit Updated Mar 31, 2013

I like the Benjarong. Located in the middle of Rockville Pike, it is a step up from most of the smaller Thai restaurants we have in the area.

As you come in you notice it's a bit larger than most of the other Thai restaurants around. There is a real spirit house, which most houses in Thailand have. The decor is simple and traditional (Thai) with lots of nice woodwork and appropriate (though not excessive) decoration. There is a small orchid placed at each table.

It's a bit more pricey than the average but not excessively so.

Service is attentive without being a distraction.

Favorite Dish: In general, Thai restaurants in the US walk a fine line between authenticity and popularity. The Thais use a lot of hot peppers in their cooking and sometimes a bit too much garlic. Often, they have toned the spiciness down to be able to better appeal to the American palette.

In general, I find that Benjarong's dishes tend toward medium spiciness without being too bland.

Several favorite dishes, but I'll tell you what we had today.

-Appetizer- chicken satay. The peanut sauce is excellent!
    -Soup- Tom Yum Kung (shrimp) rather spicy, but very good. Usually you will find peppers in the soup, which i didn't notice at this restaurant.
    -Penang Curry- thick red curry with coconut milk. Really great taste. I think it goes better with chicken than shrimp but either one is super.
    -Phad Gra Phow- Traditional Thai brown sauce with chili and basil sautéed with
    Chicken. Very nice!
    -no desert, when its in season get the mangos with sticky rice, which is wonderful!

Sadaf Halal Restaurant: Persian cuisine at its best

by alycat Updated Feb 22, 2013
    Chicken kubideh

Persian cuisine is unique to Iran and though I have eaten at many a middle eastern restaurants, I have to admit the aesthetics and subtle nuances, just like the language, are exquisitely Iranian, like the kebab which has its origins in Iran.

This restaurant is a 5 min walk from my place and Im surprised I didnt get to try it before. A friend recommended this place and since the fridge was empty and I didnt want to drive out far for dinner, I thought lets try it out . The place is fairly big and spacious, very pleasant and warm staff. Its one of the best dinners I've ever had and I'll be back for more

Favorite Dish: It was recommended that I have zereshk polo here, which for some reason is not on the menu and you have to specifically ask for it. It consists of rice served with chicken and super ingredient, barberries. Its the barberries that gives it such an amazing taste. Those apart, the way the rice and chicken were cooked were just awesome. The chicken was well cooked and enough gravy so as not to dry your throat out. I also had chicken kubideh kebab, which was served with yogurt and finely chopped green chilly sauce which was very spicy. spicy succulent.

It was such an awesome dinner, if you are in Rockville or the DC area you have to go to this place. Trust me, its a game changer!

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

Bamboo Buffet: Chinese Buffet

by Africancrab Written Aug 16, 2012

I have eaten at better Chinese Buffets. This one is at best sub-standard. After failing to eat at Seska Lounge where we were to meet my sister's friend, we settled for Chinese across the street. They were having last call of the day for the price of $8.25 per person, we made the cut and were seated for dinner.

The buffet did not look attractive at all, the food looked like it had been there all day and some of it was only just replaced. The usual counters like desert, sushi, meats, chicken, and fresh water fish. I was hungry for fish so I took some deep friend tilapia and a combination of fried squid and some friend rice. For desert I had fresh fruits; water melon mostly, the pineapple and peaches were directly removed from a can, so I discarded of what my daughter had put on my plate.

The interior was nice though, looked clean and there were a few people eating and chatting away next to us.

I would not recommend it to someone who had never had Chinese, not the best place to enjoy good Chinese food.

"If it looks good, eat it" -Andrew Zimmerman

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

matchbox rockville: Vintage Pizza Bistro: matchbox rockville: Vintage Pizza Bistro

by TravellerMel Written May 17, 2012

I met some friends here for dinner - I wish I had brought my camera! The place is lovely - brick and wood, large fireplaces, HUGE booths. This would be a great place for a date. My friends and I had a wonderful time - I ordered a Pear Tree martini (sooo good!) and the small tomato and mozzerella pizza, which came from the open-fire oven so the crust was thin and crunchy and so tasty. We split an order of doughnuts, which is kind of an inaccurate description - they were round, cake doughnuts with orange zest, with an icing to dip them into. I think there were 10 of them for $8 - and they were wonderful.

We really liked this restaurant, and it was walking distance from the hotel, so perfect!

Rolls 'n Rice Japanese Bistro Cafe: Rolls 'n Rice Japanese Bistro Cafe

by TravellerMel Written Apr 5, 2012

Very close to the Legacy and Hilton Hotels, we came here for lunch. They had a great lunch deal - 2 sushi rolls with miso soup and a salad for $9.50. I had the crab stick and California roll, and watched the sushi masters make it at the counter. Nice place for lunch - very low key, modern, comfortable. Staff is friendly. Soda machine is self-serve.

Seasons 52: Seasons 52

by TravellerMel Written Apr 5, 2012

Came here for dinner with my former boss and his fiancé - it was very nice. Restaurant has an elegant feel, but prices were not terribly expensive. Seasons 52 is a "fresh grill" which the waitress explained means that the menu changes with the season to ensure only the freshest, in-season ingredients are used - nothing is fried, and they do not use butter in anything.

We ordered a bottle of wine and shared an appetizer of Ripe Plum Tomato flatbread, which was wonderful and easily shared amongst the three of us. I ordered the Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Citron, which was served with rice pilaf and broccoli and tasted so good. My companions had the grilled tiger shrimp penne pasta and the cedar plank roasted salmon, which looked really good and they seemed to enjoy.

When the waitress came around with the “mini indulgences”, I didn’t think I could possibly eat another bite. But I found the inner fortitude to take the Mocha Macciato which was chocolate heaven in a large shot glass…

This would be a lovely place for a date or special night out, but would also be nice for a business dinner. I love that they offer free valet parking – it just adds to the elegant feel.

• Business Travel

Chipotle Mexican Grill: Fast, Fresh Mexican Food

by TravellerMel Written Apr 3, 2012

Came here for lunch during a recent trip to Rockville. Limited menu - "Subway style" where you order the item you want (burrito, taco, bowl) and identify the ingredients you want added as you move down the line. I had the carnitas (pork) burrito, which was very good, and HUGE - I was able to save half for dinner that night. This very large burrito and a Diet Coke came to $9, which I thought was very inexpensive.

I think Chipotle is a chain restaurant, but the food is good and fresh, and I would recommend it as a lunch place.

Amina Thai: Halal Thai Food

by alycat Written Oct 11, 2011
    Amina of Amina thai

Great ambience, amazing food, and its halal

Favorite Dish: Pad Thai

Choices of chicken and shrimp with thin rice noodles, stir fried with fresh bean sprouts, red bean curd, scallions, eggs, topped with crushed peanuts and fresh bean sprouts

• Crab: Great great hardshells

by Michael1584 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Didn't even know this place was here at the Ramada Inn. Great crabs, it is so nice having a place in Rockville now. The food was exceptional, had the spiced shrimp, crabs and my friend had clams. Atmosphere was nice with sports on the tv's and upbeat music playing in the background. They keep Old Bay on the tables and apple cider vinegar reminds me of actually being up on the bay. This place is a real winner in my book!

Favorite Dish: Hard shell crabs we great....spiced shrimp were tender and spiced well.

• Crab: Best Crabs ever

by ColumboC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Looking for a local spot to have hard shell crabs. Found this restaurant on the web and my gosh, what a find. Went there to watch a football game and ended up having the best crabs and shrimp I have ever eaten. I am a seafood lover and have had seafood from Maine to Florida and this is by far the best little secret uncovered to date. The large crabs were actually bigger than most extra jumbos I have ordered. They use real Old Bay seasonings, not that imitation salty stuff and the service was first rate. Their Jumbo shrimp cocktail was a meal in itself. The crab soup was out of this world. I found a new hang-out, sports and seafood, life is great!

Favorite Dish: Crabs, shrimp, crab soup, crabcakes & steaks (KC Strip).

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Rockville

Comments

Rockville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rockville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rockville sightseeing.