Solomons Island Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Solomons Island

Isaac's Restaurant & Pub: Calvert County Restaurant Week

by grandmaR Written Feb 10, 2013

Seafood chowder

Calvert County was having a Restaurant Week for the first two weeks in Feb. I thought this would be a god time to try something new, or at least that we hadn't been to in awhile. I decided to go to the Frying Pan. But we couldn't find it, so plan B was Isaac's which was on Holiday Drive and I intuited that meant that it was in the Holiday Inn. Once we found the Holiday Inn, we also found Isaacs.

Favorite Dish: The special restaurant week dinners were $27.95 per person and included a Starter, an Entre and a Dessert. Bob decided just to have fish and chips, but I had the restaurant week dinner. I had seafood chowder which turned out to be a version of cream of crab soup with shrimp in it in addition to crab. It was very good but not exactly what I had expected. Then I had the surf and turf which was a 6 oz filet and a jumbo crab cake. This came with garlic bread sticks and two sides - I had cole slaw and Isaac's Creamy Potatoes (Baby Bakers in cream sauce). The potatoes were small boiled potatoes covered in cheese sauce, which were very good, but again not exactly what I expected. I ate the crab cake and the cole slaw and took the steak and potatoes home. Then I had the Vanilla Bean Cheese Cake for dessert, which was good.

The CD Cafe: Only Eleven Tables

by grandmaR Updated Jun 29, 2012
    Cafe from the sidewalk in front

For some reason I have always thought this was just a lunch place and not open for dinner. But when Bob said he wanted to come over to get some engine hose at West Marine, and did I want to go to dinner, I looked up places I might not have been, and came up with this place. It had very good reviews - the only problem was that they did not take reservations and were very small. So Bob told me to have a back-up plan, because he wanted to go to West Marine first since he wasn't sure what time they closed.

The traffic over the bridge to Solomon's was TERRIBLE, so we got to West Marine a little before six. But it did not take him long to get his hose, and we got to the CD Cafe at about ten after six and got the last table.

There were two servers and a supervisor. Some people came in about a half an hour later and had to wait in the associated bar called the Next Door Lounge where you can get drinks and appetizers

There is parking for 3 cars out front, parking across the street and also a small parking lot around the side of the building (The Avondale Center) which has several other businesses in it.

Favorite Dish: The reviews said that we needed to ask for the rolls as they would not bring them unless we asked. I didn't ask as I know Bob doesn't do rolls and I don't need to either. But if you go, ask for the rolls. They looked delicious. They did give us water right away and asked us what we wanted to drink. Then they told us the specials.

Bob had the Shephard's Pie for $12.95, and I had the swordfish special for $26.95. Then I looked at the dessert board - the desserts are also all made in house. I just had a lemon bar $3.95, and Bob had the apple pie a la mode which made the desserts total $10.00. The a la mode is extra. Everything was very good.

Dry Dock Restaurant: Zahniser's Marina

by grandmaR Updated Aug 18, 2011

Looking out over the marina

We have eaten here in the past and for some reason, I did not write a review. So when our friends came in by boat, intending to eat at Vincenzios and that restaurant was closed because it was Monday, we brought them over here. But I thought that I already had a review and didn't take many pictures.

We ate here again today (Aug 2011). The restaurant had been moved to another building, but it is still upstairs and absolutely non-handicapped accessible - no elevator. You can eat either outside on the balcony or inside. Either way you can look out over the marina

The Dry Dock opens daily at 4:30 p.m.
    Dinner is served Sunday thru Thursday 5:30-9:00 p.m.
    Friday & Saturday 5:30-9:30 p.m.
    Sunday Brunch is also served 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m

Favorite Dish: This restaurant has good food, but the prices are high and the food amount was small. I left still hungry. There was not even any bread served to eat while we waited for the food.

We both started out with a cup of Maryland Crab Soup which is a spicy tomato based soup. I think the crab was just sprinkled on top. Bob had more crab than I did. Then Bob got the appetizer/small plate crab cakes as usually an appetizer is enough for him. He said they were good with a lot of crab meat, but he thought they were expensive for the size. I had the mussel special which was $12.00. For that I got a heaping plate of mussel shells and some thin toast. For dessert, I had creme brulee which was $6.00 and Bob had ice cream with chocolate sauce which was only $4.00 and was the biggest thing either of us had all night.

• Seniors

• Catamarans: Catamarans Sucks!

by Tina700 Updated May 11, 2011

My family and I visited Catamarans on Saturday, May 7, 2011, for starters we waited about an hour for our food. My soda was served flat and I had to return it for a lemonade. The lemonda turned out to be lemon and water with a tab bit of sugar--yuck!. Once we recieved our food, the mash potatoes were dried out and cold--- they were instant not real potatos. Also, my son's french fries were cold as though they too sat for a while. The portion were small. However, I can say that the waitress was really nice and polite. We will not return. So very disappointed. There is never an excuss for a restaurant to served cold food or a flat soda, or a water down lemonade.

Favorite Dish: NONE

Catamarans: Not on the water

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

From the parking lot

The building this restaurant is in faces the Patuxent River (it is across the road from it), but you can't see the water while you are dining. They have an all-you-can eat menu which is not a good deal for us because we don't eat that much. They seem to be advertising that their chef has been on one of those cook-off shows

Favorite Dish: Last time we went, I had a fried soft crab sandwich and Bob had the steamed shrimp. He didn't pay $44.00 for the all you can eat though. He had The Pounder, which is a starter of one pound of shrimp for $18.99

• Cruise

Bowen's Inn: Careless Cigarette - Historic Inn Gone

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Entrance and outside deck

In March 2006, someone discarded a cigarette which lit the dry leaves under the boardwalk leading to the Inn and restaurant. The fire, whipped by high winds, burned Bowen's Inn and the Lighthouse Restaurant next door completely to the ground. So the review below is for historic interest only.

____________________________________

I finally got Bob to go here for Thursday All You Can Eat Taco Night. From the street side it is kind of hidden. The directions say "impossible to miss", but I disagree - it is quite possible to miss it. I had to be centered on finding it or I would have missed it.

It is both a place to stay and a place to eat.

We had the All-You-Can-Eat Tacos $5.00 each. Bob ate nine - I only ate 6. With iced tea for each of us and a chocolate silk pie for me plus a tip for the waitress that was $18.00 for the two of us for dinner - one of the cheapest dinners we've had in a long time. I'm sure this will become one of our favorite places.

From a story about local ghosts: (see URL below)

Bowen's Inn has been rumored to be haunted for many years now. Robert Dowell, who is employed in the bar attached to the Inn, witnessed the ghost at Christmastime last year.

Dowell was taking some boxes up to the third floor of the Inn when he saw her. "She was about six feet tall and she was wearing an old fashioned black dress with a high lace collar," Dowell described. "She just stood at the top of the landing, and once I started running away, I looked back and she started off back down the hall."

Downstairs, Dowell began telling the owner of the Inn, Tony Costantino, what had just happened. "I knew he was scared out of his mind," Costatino remembered, "Robert's part Indian and he was white as a sheet." To this day, Dowell has not returned to the third floor of the Inn.

Open Wed. 4PM. Thurs. through Sunday 11:00AM. 12 room Hotel, Restaurant & Lounge, centrally located in Solomons Island. Newly renovated. Large parties welcome. Est. 1918.

Favorite Dish: The Secrets of Solomons web page says: "Best Crab Cakes in town! ALL YOU CAN EAT $5.00 Spaghetti (Tuesday); Fried Chicken (Wednesday); Taco's (Thursday). DJ on Friday; band on Saturday" They have an all you can eat seafood dinner on Friday for $18.95 which includes snow crab.

Apparently in addition to the live music,they also have billards, and I'm sure it has a bar, and an outdoor deck.

Entertainment Schedule
    Saturday, September 27, 2003 Poor Boy Zeus

Come out and show PBZ some love! We're gonna rock you like we always do with great sounds on the water! Show starts at 9:30 p.m

• Fishing

Vincenzo's At Calvert Marina: They Have Half Portions

by grandmaR Updated Feb 15, 2011

Pear Salad $8.00

2011 This restaurant is till here but has changed hands.

____________________________________

Our friends came on their boat and dinghied over here to eat with us. Unfortunately, it was on a Monday, and Vincenzo's is closed on Monday. We went back here last week for dinner. They had live music and they asked us whether we would like to be close to the music or far away. We picked far away, but it was still a bit loud (it was a lady with an electric keyboard who sang). She may have been good, but I couldn't hear her sing over the instrument.

This is a nice restaurant with napkins and tablecloths and an extensive wine list (which we did not partake of). They had a nice option of half size entrees. There was some confusion when we ordered dessert. The waiters didn't seem to know exactly what kinds of gelato and sorbet they had.

Favorite Dish: I had the pear salad (spring mix, pears, provalone and parrigiano shaving) as a starter which was $7 on the take home menu, but I was charged $8.00 so maybe they raised the price after the menu was printed. It was very good. Then I had a half portion of Chesapeake Gnocchi with jumbo lump crab in cream, which was excellent ($11.00).

Bob had the Vencenzo's Ravioli with naturally sweet carrot sauce (it looked very orange) - half portion which they also charged $11.00 for. He had lemon sorbet for dessert ($6.00) which looked very good. I should have had that, but I had the chocolate almond gelato which I didn't really care for. They only had one flavor of gelato, which I was initially told was chocolate. I'm not that fond of almond in my chocolate.

Calypso Bay Crab House: Formerly Harbor Sounds

by grandmaR Updated Dec 23, 2010

Inside of the restaurant

The restaurant is right in a marina (on the water) and has both outside and inside seating. We decided that on a Thursday night in the winter there wouldn't be too much of a wait, and we were right. The place was almost deserted.

They had half price appetizers so that's what we had.

Bob had 6 raw oysters for $5.00 and steamed shrimp for $5.50. The oysters were very small, but the whole meal was - he said - just the right amount.

I had coconut shrimp for $5.00 and they were a little burnt looking, but the raspberry sauce was good. I also had an enormous plate of White Wine Mussels (photo 2) for $4.50 which were good but a bit salty. I think I could have eaten the broth and it came with a spoon and some bread for sopping. I didn't have enough room for the chicken chimi rolls $4.50 which I also ordered so I brought them home. The price of $24.50 for the five appetizers would have been $49.00 at full price - half price was quite reasonable.

I asked them for the key lime pie which was on the menu, but they didn't have any, so I didn't get desert.

Favorite Dish: NOTE: Harbor Sounds has changed names. *

----------------------------------------

This was the 2006 review and the prices and menu are different:Historic Interest Only:

It was early enough on Friday night that I figured we could go to Solomons to eat without having to wait in line. We did have a long line of cars creeping over the bridge, but we were at the restaurant by about 5:20 pm

We hadn't been to this place for a couple of years. I was a little intimidated by the name since I don't like music to be so loud I can't talk, but, like I said, it was early. They were setting up the live music stuff by 6:40 when we left.

I had the mahi mahi special (last photo) which was very good. I had the choice of blackened or grilled, and it had garlic potatoes and green beans with it for $15.95. There was also an all you can eat King Crab legs special for $20.95 and an all you can eat Crawfish special for $10.95. The couple on the porch outside our window had this one and I took a picture of it (photo 3 - there are just empty crayfish shells).

Bob had the petite crabcake sandwich (4th photo) and if that was the petite one... it was HUGE. That was $13.00, and came with fries. We got a small round crusty loaf of bread cut in wedges first.

• Music
    • Beaches

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Boomerang's Original Ribs: Returning?

by grandmaR Updated Dec 11, 2010

Door at night

This is a nice place to go when it is chilly - you should ask to sit by the fireplace and order their chili. But even if you don't sit by the fire, the food is good and not expensive and so is the service.

They have rib combos, steak combos, pasta, and a children's menu. They also do party trays and catering

Favorite Dish: On one visit I had the ribs and shrimp special $19.95 with string beans and mashed potatoes. Bob had the same thing, but with applesauce instead of the green beans. Then I had ice cream for dessert.

We could also have had any of the $10.99 specials - a half chicken, or 2 stuffed shrimp with either a small rack or a 7 oz. NY strip.

• JonBru's Profile Photo

Solomon's Pier: Great View, Good Food

by JonBru Written Jun 24, 2010

There are not many restaurants on Solomon's Island because the Island is not that big. We chose Solomon's Pier because it was right over the water which gave us great views of the sunset. We ate at the end of the pier by the bar, which was loud and popular. We started out outside on the deck but had to come in due to a spectacular but brief rainstorm. The deck view was incredible and the prices were pretty good considering the view.

We started off with the mussels and rockfish bites. We had half an order for $8 and it was big enough that 4 of us were able to have some. I had the rockfish taco, which was a good price, but a little bland. My wife's soft shell crab sandwich was amazing. Large crabs and a good price. Our niece had the vegetarian sandwich and her husband had the crab monte cristo, which they both liked.

They were very accommodating regarding our lactose intolerance. Even though you could tell the waiter was new, he did try hard.

Favorite Dish: The soft shell crab sandwich was under $20 and came with 2 huge crabs.

• Stoneys on solomon island: Too busy serving liquor

by Edfishlover Written Sep 23, 2009

Ambience is nice, outside good, inside OK. We went there twice. The first time was outside. Had good service and the scallops were very good. Generous portions.

Second time was with a large group of 20. This time the service was poor. They were more concerned with pushing alcoholic drinks probably because it was a company party and didn't pay attention to the food orders. I requested the tuna be cooked medium well, and it came rare and red. I could not get the waitresses attention for 20 minutes, and by that time the tuna was "stone" cold. When I finally got the attention of a waitress, she did offer to have it cooked more, but by that time everyone else in the party was on desert, so it was too late. You would have thought that they would have added enough people to properly serve us. We had the same company party 2 days before at clarks landing and it was much better.

Favorite Dish: Scallops. Good portions, cooked nicely.

The Captain's Table: Waterfront Dining north of the Museum

by grandmaR Updated Jul 14, 2009

Captain's Table

We've been here a couple of times and went again tonight. They do have main dishes (mostly lobster or surf and turf) for over $25, but there are a lot of cheaper ones too. Casual dining, but reservations are suggested and may be necessary in the summer.

When we went just before Columbus Day 2003, the inside of the restaurant was filled with kids on some kind of school trip. The restaurant staff person said they were from Delaware - there were two big tour buses in the parking lot, and there was a buffet with several dishes inside the restaurant.

We sat outside (photo 2) because that was the only table available, but the weather was really nice, and we could see the boats in the harbor, and later an orange moon rose opposite our table. (see photo inset)

Favorite Dish: I had the New England clam chowder, catch of the day (rockfish in this case) stuffed with crabmeat, mashed potatoes without gravy, green beans and carrots almondine, a rye roll and 2 pieces of cornbread, and peach cobbler with ice cream. Bob had liver and onions, mashed potatoes without gravy, cole slaw and rolls. My main dish listed for $14.99..

10/9/2003- This time I had the protein special, which was rockfish, chicken and steak each of these were good, but they had some sad carrots and peas with it. Bob had the single crab cake which came with fries and cole slaw for $10.99. I also had Key Lime pie. The bill without the tip was $38.00

07/13/2009 - We sat indoors (they didn't have any tables outside, and I really prefer indoors) and we both had cream of crab soup (photo 3) which was kind of thick and gloppy. I had a 'small plate' crabcake, and Bob had liver and onions. Both came with two sides. For dessert I had a very nice small "Outrageous Sundae" with fudge for $2.00 (photo 5). I didn't have the fish of the day (photo 4) because that was swordfish which wasn't local and would have been frozen I think.

• Beaches

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

The Naughty Gull Pub: Seafood by the Water

by Tom_Fields Written Jun 24, 2009

The Naughty Gull

In a secluded spot, back from the road, right next to the water, is the Naughty Gull. This pub serves up first-rate seafood, with a view of the marina. And it has its own brew, which is well worth trying.

Favorite Dish: I had the Cajun pasta.

• Beer Tasting

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Solomon's Pier/Stoney's Seafood House: Best Crab Cakes!

by Donna_in_India Written Sep 20, 2008

The outside deck has plenty of tables and a bar. The inside is a large two story restaurant. We sat on the deck and watched the sunset over the water. Even though it was busy, the service was very good. And the crab cakes (voted the best by the Washington Post) were delicious! A great place to spend a night eating/drinking. Total bill for 2 with tip (no alcohol) was less than $50.

Stoney's Kingfishers Seafood House: They Ship Crabcakes

by grandmaR Updated Mar 5, 2008

Heron and Pelican mural

This restaurant has changed names and management at least three times in the last couple of years. For awhile it was the Rhumb Line. Now it is one of the three (or four) Stoney's restaurants. The other two are the original one on Broome's Island, and one in Prince Frederick.

Someone from NC mentioned to me that they like to come here for the crabcakes but the reviews of this place are quite mixed. I think the last time we were here, we were at a Power Squadron meeting. I haven't been really impressed with any of the Stoney's restaurants

Favorite Dish: I don't remember exactly what we had, but I have pictures of the cream of crab soup and shrimp garden salad.

Cream of Crab Soup $4.50
    Shrimp Garden Salad $11.95

Instant Answers: Solomons Island

Comments

Solomons Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Solomons Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Solomons Island sightseeing.

View all Solomons Island hotels